Do I need an anti-static wrist strap?

I'm about to order and build my first PC and I'm wondering if I need an anti-static wrist strap.

I'm planning on building it in my room with carpeted floors with up to 2 other people helping.

I'm not sure how exactly to ground yourself properly - what should you touch? what measures should you take?

I'm not sure what you're supposed to clip the crocodile clips of the wrist strap onto either...

8 minutes ago, Gabby2805 said:

I'm about to order and build my first PC and I'm wondering if I need an anti-static wrist strap.

I'm planning on building it in my room with carpeted floors with up to 2 other people helping.

I'm not sure how exactly to ground yourself properly - what should you touch? what measures should you take?

I'm not sure what you're supposed to clip the crocodile clips of the wrist strap onto either...

Nah, just ground yourself from time to time and don't build while standing on a carpet / walking on your socks.

You can ground yourself on one of the screws of wall sockets, or on your power supply if it's connected. Even your computer case is connected to the ground when the motherboard / PSU are in there.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

7 minutes ago, Energycore said:

-

small question:
what are you guys talking about?
you're actually saying that if someone installed the components of his PC while standing on a carpet floor would cause electric problems?
i'm planning to make my first build and i actually have my room's floor in carpet, so....that's bad?
i was thinking of just putting the stuff on my wooden desk and install them to each other, is this wrong?

2 minutes ago, EvilNeo said:

small question:
you're actually saying that if someone installed the components of his PC while standing on a carpet floor would cause electric problems?
i'm planning to make my first build and i actually have my room's floor in carpet, so....that's bad?
i was thinking of just putting the stuff on my wooden desk and install them to each other, is this wrong?

I built my system in a carpeted room. I wasn't wearing socks and I was sitting in a chair, and I had a static wristband, but the band was barely even connected right (i had to stick a crocodile clip on the prong connecting to the strap). It should be fine if you're careful.

Thy hath sinneth, and in thy life thou hast fallen to an unholy, unspeakable level of humanity. Thou hast given into your basest needs. And suffered many years under thine Satan-box. However, if thine be willing, as thy hast show yourself to be, thy can ascendeth into thy glorious fold of the glorious church. Go well, my brother, may your temps be low and your frames high. ~ MrDynamicMan

1 minute ago, EvilNeo said:

small question:

In domestic environments, static electricity is most commonly built up when cloth rubs against cloth or plastic. Components may be damaged when you touch them if you've built up static electricity and shock a fragile part of the electronics. By touching something that's connected to the ground, you give the static electricity a clear path to go away (the ground is charged in such a way that electricity flows into it, that's why whenever storm clouds build up a whole bunch of static electricity, it is released into the ground in the form of lightning).

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, UL_42L said:

I built my system in a carpeted room. I wasn't wearing socks and I was sitting in a chair, and I had a static wristband, but the band was barely even connected right (i had to stick a crocodile clip on the prong connecting to the strap). It should be fine if you're careful.

careful with what exactly?
it's not like any of the parts are connecting to some power source when i assemble them
this is literally the first time i hear about that and i'm kinda shocked

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

In domestic environments, static electricity is most commonly built up when cloth rubs against cloth or plastic. Components may be damaged when you touch them if you've built up static electricity and shock a fragile part of the electronics. By touching something that's connected to the ground, you give the static electricity a clear path to go away (the ground is charged in such a way that electricity flows into it, that's why whenever storm clouds build up a whole bunch of static electricity, it is released into the ground in the form of lightning).

okay,so i've read your example of grounding from your previous post but still don't get it
your body is considered grounded when you touch something that's connected to any power socket in your house wall?

1 minute ago, EvilNeo said:

okay,so i've read your example of grounding from your previous post but still don't get it
your body is considered grounded when you touch something that's connected to any power socket in your house wall?

Anything that's connected to a grounded socket. You can tell that a socket is grounded if it's got that additional pin on the connector (instead of just two vertical grooves).

Or the grounded socket itself if you're feeling confident.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, Energycore said:

You can tell that a socket is grounded if it's got that additional pin on the connector (instead of just two vertical grooves).

Be careful with that explanation. The NEMA sockets you've described are used only in north America, you will probably find different plugs at other places around the world. 

2 minutes ago, maremp said:

Be careful with that explanation. The NEMA sockets you've described are used only in north America, you will probably find different plugs at other places around the world. 

Oh you're right. I wouldn't know about EU / UK sockets.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, maremp said:

I'm in the UK

11 minutes ago, maremp said:

-

8 minutes ago, Energycore said:

-

um you guys got me a bit worried about what power plugs runs in my country, here are pics of what almost every electronic device use in my country the two big plugs are labeled as *grounded* on the site
note that all the main power sockets on the walls are always with two holes only(not sure if that's the same everywhere else or not)
so to ground myself i should just touch the holes with my bare fingers?
link to the site if you want to check other stuff there

electricity-tiles-type-C-200-px.jpg

electricity-tiles-type-F-200-px.jpg

electricity-tiles-type-G-200-px.jpg

Just now, EvilNeo said:

um you guys got me a bit worried about what power plugs runs in my country, here are pics of what almost every electronic device use in my country the two big plugs are labeled as *grounded* on the site
note that all the main power sockets on the walls are always with two holes only(not sure if that's the same everywhere else or not)
so to ground myself i should just touch the holes with my bare fingers?
link to the site if you want to check other stuff there

The ones with the third pin should be grounded, but don't touch the pins or the holes. Look for screws in the socket and touch those. Or connect your power supply to them and touch that.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Gabby2805 said:

No. I haven't used one for the last 3 of my builds. Measures to take: touch your case every now and then