240mm vs 240mm + 120mm rad

So i finally decided to buy water cooling kit, and I have question about temperatures and what to expect from it.

I'm using it with my i7 4790 (non K) right now, but GTX 1070 will be also in that loop.

I have 240mm slim rad from EKWB right now and temps on CPU won't go over 50°C at 100% load for few hours.

But what will happen when I put GTX 1070 into that loop?

Form what I can see, my i7 4790 is working on around 50W only, while GTX 1070 will be around 200W when OCed.

So it will make huge impact on cooling and temps?

If I have 50°C on full load with just CPU right now, what temps will I havee when I will have both CPU and GPU in same loop, running at full load?

Another idea is to also put another 120mm rad on back of my case, but how much would that even help?

Would put another 120mm on top also, but in that case it just won't be possible xD 

Was looking on web, if there are any benchmarks for temps with 240mm rad vs 360mm rad, but I can't find any.

I would also like to point out, that I had Kraken X31 for CPU before and temps would get to 70°C, but when I put Kraken X31 on my GPU, temperature on GPU was always under 60°C. So with my custom loop I can expect like temps to be around 60°C ? Also I don't get it, why temps on GPU were lower than CPU. CPU is using 50W, and R9 390 is using more than 200W if I'm correct. So how can Kraken X31 provide lower temps on that GPU core if it uses more power and heating much more?

GTX 1070 won't be avaliable that soon, so I have some time to think about this build. I don't want to test it on my 240mm rad first, and then add another 120mm, because I would have to drain entire loop and start over.

So if someone have benchmarks with temperatures of same components being cooled on 240mm and 360mm, that would be cool. I guess that 240mm rad + 120mm rad perform about the same as single 360, if not even better. But that's just my newbie guess xD 

Any input is welcome :) 

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

29 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Form what I can see, my i7 4790 is working on around 50W only, while GTX 1070 will be around 200W when OCed.

If I have 50°C on full load with just CPU right now, what temps will I havee when I will have both CPU and GPU in same loop, running at full load?

Another idea is to also put another 120mm rad on back of my case, but how much would that even help?

Would put another 120mm on top also, but in that case it just won't be possible xD 

Jayztwocents made a video about this. Watch it: 

22 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

-SNIP-

Since you have a locked processor it won't really have any benefit performance wise other then lower temps but a 240mm would be enough as it's locked, going up to say a 360mm total or even a 280mm would be very capable of cooling both the GPU and CPU.

For GPU temps in a custom loop I would expect idles to be around 5C above ambient, the GPU's do have larger dies that help spread the heat out more so than CPU's not to mention the CPU IHS and interface between that being another layer. 

30 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

So if someone have benchmarks with temperatures of same components being cooled on 240mm and 360mm, that would be cool. I guess that 240mm rad + 120mm rad perform about the same as single 360, if not even better. But that's just my newbie guess xD 

I have no facts to back this up, but I believe that I have heard that a 360 perform better than a 240 + 120. I have no clue why I believe that is so, or where I might or might no have heard it. Just my thought

33 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

So i finally decided to buy water cooling kit, and I have question about temperatures and what to expect from it.

I'm using it with my i7 4790 (non K) right now, but GTX 1070 will be also in that loop.

I have 240mm slim rad from EKWB right now and temps on CPU won't go over 50°C at 100% load for few hours.

Was looking on web, if there are any benchmarks for temps with 240mm rad vs 360mm rad, but I can't find any.

I would also like to point out, that I had Kraken X31 for CPU before and temps would get to 70°C, but when I put Kraken X31 on my GPU, temperature on GPU was always under 60°C. So with my custom loop I can expect like temps to be around 60°C ? Also I don't get it, why temps on GPU were lower than CPU. CPU is using 50W, and R9 390 is using more than 200W if I'm correct. So how can Kraken X31 provide lower temps on that GPU core if it uses more power and heating much more?

GTX 1070 won't be avaliable that soon, so I have some time to think about this build. I don't want to test it on my 240mm rad first, and then add another 120mm, because I would have to drain entire loop and start over.

Any input is welcome :) 

youlle be fine witjh a single 240

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

24 minutes ago, Surpuppa said:

Jayztwocents made a video about this. Watch it: 

21 minutes ago, W-L said:

Since you have a locked processor it won't really have any benefit performance wise other then lower temps but a 240mm would be enough as it's locked, going up to say a 360mm total or even a 280mm would be very capable of cooling both the GPU and CPU.

For GPU temps in a custom loop I would expect idles to be around 5C above ambient, the GPU's do have larger dies that help spread the heat out more so than CPU's not to mention the CPU IHS and interface between that being another layer. 

13 minutes ago, Julian5 said:

youlle be fine witjh a single 240

So after I watched this video, I think I will be fine with that single 240mm rad.

In his test, his CPU was oced to 4,7GHz which use more power and give away more heat than my CPU every will.

Also that GTX 970 gaming 1, does run hotter than GTX 1070 will do. At least I think so.

So I should be fine what that set up :) 

He also said that fans are running at 40%, so that's still quite for me. Mine are set to 50% and can't even hear them.

Now I just have to wait for GPU to arrive in EU :)

Thanks everyone!

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB