Are gaming chairs better?

theereal

Are gaming chairs better than regular office chairs? Do they prevent back Injuiries better or Is It just a marketing scheme?

Most of them are better than regular office chairs, but are they cost effective? Not really, they are a luxury.

CPU: Intel i5 3550           | Cooler: Corsair A50          | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77      | Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB   | GPU: GTX 1650                | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)  | PSU: EVGA 650W G2            |

Id say they are mostly for comfort rather than anything else.

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

if you buy a solid office chair you will have the same, however it wont have the nice looks

12 minutes ago, theereal said:

Are gaming chairs better than regular office chairs? Do they prevent back Injuiries better or Is It just a marketing scheme?

I used to have terrible back pain with my old chair and then I bought a gaming chair (DxRacer) and I have had no pain since. 

My Build: Phoenix

Processor: Intel i7 4770k, Motherboard: Asus Z97-P RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB GPU: MSI GTX 1050TI OC Case: Corsair ICUE 4000X, Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB + 500GB + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM750, Cooling: Corsair H100i Capellix, 

If you want to talk to me or give me an answer, please tag me otherwise you'll be talking to thin air ❤️

I can not back this with any research, but I guess when you compare a more expensive / high quality chair - be it "gaming" or simply high-quality office chair - they both offer similar comfort, quality and "healthiness". In both cases, you will find models with a certain price premium, for a special branding, design or else. At the end of the day, both chairs after all.

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

They're better than crappy office chairs, but they cost way more too.  They're not better than proper rated office chairs.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I have been looking around for a new chair as well, and although I really like the DX Racer, I can't help feeling that they are a bit over priced in comparison to "regular" office chairs with similar build quality and comfort level (in my opinion)

I think it's marketing. As long as the back of the chair meets the curvature of your spine, and you can adjust the height, then that's all you need.

I have en executive high-back chair from office max, I like it + you can actually try out the chairs there rather than trusting other peoples opinion online.

I do not understand why gaming chairs are even a thing. Sitting a recaro chair for hours on end is not comfortable in the slightest, why would setting in a fake one be any better

And for the price of them, youre better off get as others have said an actual ergonomic chair from the likes of Steelcase / humanscale.

56 minutes ago, roughavoc said:

I do not understand why gaming chairs are even a thing. Sitting a recaro chair for hours on end is not comfortable in the slightest, why would setting in a fake one be any better

And for the price of them, youre better off get as others have said an actual ergonomic chair from the likes of Steelcase / humanscale.

I have tried a DX Racer, and I found it quite comfortable actually, but I do agree with you on the price. I think in the case of the DX Racer for example, you are paying a lot for the looks, (although the quality didn't seem too bad either).

I destroy chairs.  Unless the chair has a full metal frame, and well built, there is no point for me to spend $300 for a "gaming" chair.  I would probably kill it in 18 months, just like the cheaper $100 office chairs.

Something like this will last me 1-2 years:  http://www.staples.ca/en/Staples-Managers-Chair-Brown/product_320792_2-CA_1_20001

s0421648_sc7?$splssku$

20 minutes ago, stconquest said:

I destroy chairs.  Unless the chair has a full metal frame, and well built, there is no point for me to spend $300 for a "gaming" chair.  I would probably kill it in 18 months, just like the cheaper $100 office chairs.

Something like this will last me 1-2 years:  http://www.staples.ca/en/Staples-Managers-Chair-Brown/product_320792_2-CA_1_20001

s0421648_sc7?$splssku$

why would someone break a chair?
you might break peripherals but chairs?

4 minutes ago, EvilNeo said:

why would someone break a chair?
you might break peripherals but chairs?

Wear and tear.  Constant swiveling, slight rocking in all directions and weight; breaks down chairs.  I sit cross legged in the chair 95% of the time.

Also the top layer material breaks down quickly:  Arms, seat.

BTW, I am a little guy... 150LBS.

Nope. Shitty chairs with gamer branding, for that extra $100 premium.

Gaming chairs make absolutely no sense. They're modeled after car chairs, which need high amounts of lateral support for turns. Office chairs are what you really want.