LG 4k IPS 27ud68-w colors are really washed out

shandidy
Go to solution Solved by Krzych,

Did you install drivers from CD provided with monitor? What ICC profile you have active now? I had the same problem on my LG 34UC98, ICC profile that is installed along with driver is just rubbish. Get some ICC profile for this monitor, if you cannot find it then get one made for similar monitor. I am using TFT Central's ICC profile for Dell U3415W on my 34UC98 and it looks amazing, solves the issue of washed out colors.

Something must be wrong if you thought that TN panel looks great and now you are seeing bad colors on much better IPS panel. Look for ICC profile, apply it and then play with contrast and gamma settings from monitor's OSD.

In case you don't know what ICC profile is and how it apply it: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm This guide doesn't mention reseting your PC after applying, but profile not always works after just applying, reset your PC after this.

so last weekend i bought a Samsung 28ud590 and the colors looks amazing on it, i have never seen colors and 4k clarity like that, then one of my friends told me it is a tn panel and it color shifts and it is not accurate when reproducing colors, so i exchanged yesterday with an LG 27ud68-w IPS 4k and by the way the LG is newer and have higher consumer rating, and when i turned it on i was not impressed my old 1080p looks better i dont know why, this monitor is factor color calibrated, every is thing is washed out no matter what i do, i am connected using a display port and 980ti.

please advise,
Thanks

Maybe you were used to overly saturated monitors.

Perhaps the LG has the most accurate color representation and your previous monitors didn't.

If you don't care about color accuracy play around with the contrast/saturation options that the monitor has.

well i did that still looks washed out and faded, yesterday i was playing tomb raider an it in dark areas i cant see the character and brightness set to max,  but i read online and that could be the old drivers from the old monitor, i am thinking once i go home to try and remove the old drivers including the nvidia drivers and reinstall them again, as this monitor should not be like this, will update the thread if that works.

Did you install drivers from CD provided with monitor? What ICC profile you have active now? I had the same problem on my LG 34UC98, ICC profile that is installed along with driver is just rubbish. Get some ICC profile for this monitor, if you cannot find it then get one made for similar monitor. I am using TFT Central's ICC profile for Dell U3415W on my 34UC98 and it looks amazing, solves the issue of washed out colors.

Something must be wrong if you thought that TN panel looks great and now you are seeing bad colors on much better IPS panel. Look for ICC profile, apply it and then play with contrast and gamma settings from monitor's OSD.

In case you don't know what ICC profile is and how it apply it: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm This guide doesn't mention reseting your PC after applying, but profile not always works after just applying, reset your PC after this.

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6900K 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: X99 Sabertooth | GPU: RTX 2080 Ti SLi | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3400 CL13 | SSD: SX8200 PRO 512GB | PSU: Corsair AX1600i | Case: InWin 805C | Monitor: LG 38UC99-W 85Hz | Keyboard: Wooting One Analog | Keypad: Azeron Compact Analog | Mouse: Swiftpoint Z | Audio: Klipsch Reference 5.1

Thank you for your replay, i have downloaded the windows 10 driver off lg website to ensure the driver is up to date, but i have not used the disk that came with the monitor, will give it a shot later today and will let you know.

Thanks again.

ok so i arrived home and removed nvidia drivers using DUU, then went to tft central and used Samsung  28ud590  icc profile and gotta say you nailed it, thank you so much, colors are now what to expect from an IPS panel, thanks again :)