Rad-mounted pump / res Combo

Hi @ all,

I've always wanted to try watercooling and for the last few month the idea for a compact GPU-only loop has been going through my head over and over again. Since I have a pretty basic case with only 2x 120mm fron / 1x 120mm back fan mounts and not a hell lot of other mounting points, I was thinking about using one of the availlable fan-mount brackets for pumps to attach it to the radiator and mount the whole thing in the front.

So basically: using this bracket to mount this pump / combo unit to a dual 120mm rad like this. I don't think that it will hinder the airflow very much, my main concern is that the bends (using soft-tubing, probably ZMT 3/8", 5/8") might kink. I did a little research but was unable to find something similar. Has anyone seen something like that or can tell me whether its feasable or probably  just a pretty dumb idea^^

Best regards

Chris

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

yeah, a bit overkill for just a GPU only loop. most consider the nzxt g10 and a h55 for the cheap inexpensive way to cool just the GPU.

unless there is a consideration to include the CPU at a later time.. otherwise a lot of money spent for ungiven results.

Why don't you do a external rad? I think it'll be much more efficient and I think you should just water cool your whole thing.

The guy who runs Singularity Computers regularly mounts res/pumps to radiators for his client builds (he even manufactures very nice looking brackets for this purpose) , so what you are asking isn't dumb at all.

To prevent kinking in soft tubing do the following:

• Buy tubing with thick walls;
  • Plan your tubing routes to minimize sharp turns or crossing paths with other tubes where at all possible.
  • Buy fittings with 90 or 45degree angles where appropriate to remove some of the strain from the tubing

duc sequere aut de via decede

CPU: i7 6800K | Mobo: MSI X99 Gaming Pro Carbon | GPU: SLI EVGA 980 Ti Hydro Copper | PSU: EVGA 1000P2 | Memory: 64 DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum | Storage: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 & Samsung 850 Evo 1TB| Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 | Display: Predator X34 & Dell U2715H | Cooling: Custom Loop

Custom hard line watercooled Fractal Node 202 ITX build log

5 minutes ago, airdeano said:

yeah, a bit overkill for just a GPU only loop. most consider the nzxt g10 and a h55 for the cheap inexpensive way to cool just the GPU.

unless there is a consideration to include the CPU at a later time.. otherwise a lot of money spent for ungiven results.

Yeah, I know it's overkill, but first of all there is space for a 240 and I guess the whole thing will act as a baseline for future improvements :P G10 wont work since the VRM cooling on my GPU is lousy and the Kraken sits only on the die itself (and the fan is on the wrong side as well :P

3 minutes ago, ItsMinJunLol said:

Why don't you do a external rad? I think it'll be much more efficient and I think you should just water cool your whole thing.

Because of looks :P  I like the idea of having everythin nice and compact

2 minutes ago, SonoDanshi said:

The guy who runs Singularity Computers regularly mounts res/pumps to radiators for his client builds (he even manufactures very nice looking brackets for this purpose) , so what you are asking isn't dumb at all.

To prevent kinking in soft tubing do the following:

• Buy tubing with thick walls;
  • Plan your tubing routes to minimize sharp turns or crossing paths with other tubes where at all possible.
  • Buy fittings with 90 or 45degree angles where appropriate to remove some of the strain from the tubing

Angled fittings might do the trick, thanks for the input :) 

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

It would not hinder air flow, that bracket is designed to be used in that type of scenario.

But honestly, on the GPU in your signature anyway, you would really just be wasting your money.  You will most definitely see a much lower temperature, but you shouldn't be seeing one now that really warrants water cooling... 

With what you spend getting that little loop setup for a gpu, you could almost buy a new or another gpu :D

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop

3 hours ago, givegomezthegun said:

It would not hinder air flow, that bracket is designed to be used in that type of scenario.

But honestly, on the GPU in your signature anyway, you would really just be wasting your money.  You will most definitely see a much lower temperature, but you shouldn't be seeing one now that really warrants water cooling... 

With what you spend getting that little loop setup for a gpu, you could almost buy a new or another gpu :D

Yeah, I know - I never said that it would be an economic or reasonable thing to do :D It just kinda bugs me that everything, especially the GPU and first and foremost the VRM's is running really hot.

If I ever decide to tackle this and if I'd decide to go for both CPU and GPU, I have another question: I have seen people do CPU & GPU blocks in parallel - since it allows for much cleaner runs (regardless of the used tubing). Parallel GPU blocks do work fine, since they both introduce the same resistance in each "branch" of the loop. With two different blocks for CPU & GPU, the introduced "restriction" will most likely be different, and one block might be starved from waterflow. How can this be overcome? Simply use a pump with a high enough pressure / flow rate?