Project: Node way will it fit! - A hardline watercooled Node202

On 11/18/2016 at 11:37 PM, geokoder said:

What are your GPU temps like? I'm getting the same CPU temps as you (almost identical, 67 max and idle around 24) using an AIO cooler. My GPU goes up to about 68C max on stock clocks and idles at about 28C. GPU is blower style with a Noctua fan below it.

@geokoder I'll have to come back to you in a few days on that. The res I made developed a leak and I haven't been able to repair it to my satisfaction, so it is all sat in pieces in my kitchen right now. I should have the things I need to get it up and running again on Wednesday so I can check temps for you at the end of the week.

duc sequere aut de via decede

CPU: i7 6800K | Mobo: MSI X99 Gaming Pro Carbon | GPU: SLI EVGA 980 Ti Hydro Copper | PSU: EVGA 1000P2 | Memory: 64 DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum | Storage: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 & Samsung 850 Evo 1TB| Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 | Display: Predator X34 & Dell U2715H | Cooling: Custom Loop

Custom hard line watercooled Fractal Node 202 ITX build log

• 2 weeks later...

@geokoder it's finally leak free again and I've just spent a couple of hours playing games (pegging the GPU at 100%) and with a CPU temp maxing out at 63c the GPU only made it as far as 54c, so pretty happy about that.

CPU: i7 6800K | Mobo: MSI X99 Gaming Pro Carbon | GPU: SLI EVGA 980 Ti Hydro Copper | PSU: EVGA 1000P2 | Memory: 64 DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum | Storage: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 & Samsung 850 Evo 1TB| Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 | Display: Predator X34 & Dell U2715H | Cooling: Custom Loop

Looks almost like you are using scotch as coolant :D

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

1 hour ago, Urishima said:

Looks almost like you are using scotch as coolant :D

With the price of some coolants these days, it might be a cheaper option! I have subsequently had to drain the loop due to a leak and the orange dye separating from the water. It's now running Mayhems orange pastel.

• 5 months later...

thinking of trying this with a evga 1080 hydro copper

6 hours ago, lampuiho said:

thinking of trying this with a evga 1080 hydro copper

I was also contemplating a move to the 1080, but there are a few issues:

• The only "mini" version from Zotac doesn't have a waterblock available for it as far as I am aware;
  • All the 1080s have a DVI connector so that would need to be cut off to clear the radiator;
  • I am not convinced that the slimline 240 rad can handle the CPU and a 1080;

If you do go ahead with this please make a build log and tag me so I can follow the progress. As far as I can tell, no one else has managed a full stealth custom loop and I am interested to see other people's approach.

I'm back in business. At home where I have tons more tools.

591af355a03e1_2017-05-1613_24_11.thumb.jpg.cf9815a433ff1598c130ee6cd98b3fd6.jpgThe male to male adapter is great but still leaves the fitting above the top of the case unfortunately. Not sure how I'm going to solve this one. It's only a couple of millimeters.

591af2ff00401_2017-05-1613_25_18.thumb.jpg.9141b01973aa396986096be707daa4cd.jpg

@Smollie1 are you trying to hijack my long dead build log? xD

And have you tried taking the stand-offs off the bottom of the pump? You could replace it with padded adhesive foam or double sided velcro. That might drop the level enough.

12 hours ago, SonoDanshi said:
  • The only "mini" version from Zotac doesn't have a waterblock available for it as far as I am aware;

I'd imagine you only need the shorter version for room to handle the tubes at the end?

• All the 1080s have a DVI connector so that would need to be cut off to clear the radiator;

Do you absolutely need to use a single slot card or the other fan won't fit?

I am not sure if the card in this video is modded or not but he uses a Silverstone Thundra TD2 (22+15mm) which is thinner than the EK radiator (25+??mm).

• I am not convinced that the slimline 240 rad can handle the CPU and a 1080;

Well, the TDP of 1080 (180w) is actually similar to that of an ATI r9 nano (175w). The average cards usually allow some undervolting to let it run at boost clock at lower voltage. So the actual power is lower than that. And I may not even run it at 180W TDP, I may just set it to 50% TDP.

BTW, The GTX1060 I am using run at 1860MHz at 50% without any problem.

8 hours ago, Smollie1 said:

Ha. I meant to post here obviously.

@lampuiho Keep me posted too, I'd like to work up to  a proper stealth build also. There more of us working in the 202, the more we'll learn about what's possible.

I am waiting till thanksgiving to get my parts though....

15 hours ago, lampuiho said:

I'd imagine you only need the shorter version for room to handle the tubes at the end?

Do you absolutely need to use a single slot card or the other fan won't fit?

I am not sure if the card in this video is modded or not but he uses a Silverstone Thundra TD2 (22+15mm) which is thinner than the EK radiator (25+??mm).

Well, the TDP of 1080 (180w) is actually similar to that of an ATI r9 nano (175w). The average cards usually allow some undervolting to let it run at boost clock at lower voltage. So the actual power is lower than that. And I may not even run it at 180W TDP, I may just set it to 50% TDP.

BTW, The GTX1060 I am using run at 1860MHz at 50% without any problem.

I am waiting till thanksgiving to get my parts though....

Thanks for the responses.

Yes the shorter card is to allow me room to run the pipes but also so the fans on the radiator aren't totally choked by a card covering both slots. I could do some tests with something placed 10mm above the second fan to see how it affects temperatures to see if it makes much of a difference.

I watched the video and the 970 the person uses is unmodded and includes a DVI. So I opened up my case and shone a light into the gap where the rear IO sits and it may actually be possible for me to fit a card in there unmodded. 

Apologies for my comment about the rad not handling the heat, I had 250W in my head and not 180W because I had been toying with the idea of a 1080 Ti

3 hours ago, SonoDanshi said:

Thanks for the responses.

No, I should be thanking you. You are probably the first guy on the planet to attempt a hard tube build with the node 202. That surely has inspired a lot of people.

I watched the video and the 970 the person uses is unmodded and includes a DVI. So I opened up my case and shone a light into the gap where the rear IO sits and it may actually be possible for me to fit a card in there unmodded. 

Cool. Thanks for the confirmation. Now you have given me the confidence to proceed with the GTX1080. With vega coming out, the nano gaming version may also come out soon. But I am sticking to nvidia as I need CUDA and good tesselation performance for my research project....

• 2 months later...

Any update on the tempered glass panel?

• 1 month later...

This looks absolutely incredible! Such a perfect build...damn. Would be awesome if this could work with a 1060 or 1070 or whatever comes out next year when I want to try to do something like this as well.