Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lays

GTX 1080 volt issues past 1.25v

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Hunched said:

I know, which would to a degree make the better power delivery pointless until it can be unlocked.

Which makes me believe MSI and Gigabyte will fix this if they're allowed. Asus is just retarded and likely rushed their card to market without testing anything, as usual.

If none of the more competent board partners can fix it, well hopefully it can be fixed by users somehow.

I am curious to see how they are doing it.  Probably just code hidden somewhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DELTAprime said:

So it take it as things currently are there is no reason to have anything but a single 8 pin connector on a 1080 because of the voltage limitation?

I wouldn't go as far as saying a single 8-pin is acceptable because of a voltage lock, no.

Especially if the issue is ever resolved, you would regret the decision of getting a single 8-pin even more. You'd miss out on some unlocked performance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Hunched said:

I'm curious, when was the last time Gigabyte and MSI completely botched a GPU design?

Cause in my eyes they seem to be doing a consistently better job than the rest of the competition.

 

Look up 390/x G1


i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 2080 Ti Strix | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, App4that said:

The benchmarks don't show async. I think the async in Pascal is like the driver update to enable it in Maxwell.

Well in games that use async like the new Hitman, you can see the fury x dominate the 980ti, where the 980ti doesn't have proper async management or whatever. The 1080 spanks the fury x in that same game, so they did something other than just an increase in raw power to deal with async. I assume it's something like how the implemented SMP, just adding a new compute block on the gpu to do the extra work. Thus preventing the improved async improvements seen on pascal being brought to maxwell.


CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nvidia are getting beyond lame for overclocking with their voltage constraints.

 

 


Linus is my fetish.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Hunched said:

Hopefully MSI can deliver, 8+6pin is good.

I believe it was revealed today, but the Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 has a single 8-pin, so it's shit nobody buy it.

At least there's the Gigabyte GTX 1080 Xtreme, has dual 8-pins... I wish it looked better though.

It's going to be silly if they can't solve the bios voltage limit but are slapping down dual 8-pin connectors on their card.

"Wow I'm so glad I can do literally nothing with this extra power!"

 

the power plug is not a problem

you can overdraw the 8-pin as much as two times and a little bit more it's rated delivery as long as the wire gauge is adequate and PSU is rated accordingly - have you seen the single 8+8 PCI-E power cables?

there should be no reason for it to be power throttled under LN2 with a custom BIOS and especially with custom power delivery

the boo-boo is that apparently nVidia has further locked the voltage in driver or on die that is preventing any reasonable overclocks 


CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks to me like they've gimped the card. Hardly an unusual thing for Nvidia to do. Honestly if AMD's offerings are good enough I'm switching ASAP -.-


Smile and wave boys, smile and wave...
 

Foxy(Main Rig): CPU: i7 4790k GPU: 2x Reference GTX 980's RAM: HyperX 4x4GB 

PSU: Corsair CX 750W Mobo: ASUS Z97-A Pro Case: Bitfenix Shinobi (Black & Gold)

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, boboman342 said:

Well in games that use async like the new Hitman, you can see the fury x dominate the 980ti, where the 980ti doesn't have proper async management or whatever. The 1080 spanks the fury x in that same game, so they did something other than just an increase in raw power to deal with async. I assume it's something like how the implemented SMP, just adding a new compute block on the gpu to do the extra work. Thus preventing the improved async improvements seen on pascal being brought to maxwell.

Yeah, it looks like raw power since the 1080 still looses fps in DX12 applications.


If anyone asks you never saw me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Hunched said:

I'm curious, when was the last time Gigabyte and MSI completely botched a GPU design?

Cause in my eyes they seem to be doing a consistently better job than the rest of the competition.

Every single Gigabyte AMD GPU is a botched job but MSI is good all round. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 2:43 PM, DXMember said:

pfail, who's rebranding now? Pascal = 10x Maxwell my ass

400-500 series are the same

600-700 series are the same

900-1000 series are the same.

They've always rebranded, if I'm correct the 680 and 770 are the EXACT same thing.


 

 

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel this is what happens when Nvidia keeps chasing the power efficiency/low heat dream.

 

Everyone that actually wants good overclocks has to undo all that bullshit, or GPU Boost 2.0 throttles you at 68c no matter what.

900 Series required a custom BIOS to disable that.

 

Nobody gives a fuck how cool and efficient you can get your cards by placing limits on hardware, BIOS, drivers, etc. Nvidia...

I can BIOS lock my 970 at 135mhz with minimum voltage, 30c full load, wow what progress, I could be an Nvidia engineer...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
18 hours ago, Hunched said:

I wouldn't go as far as saying a single 8-pin is acceptable because of a voltage lock, no.

Especially if the issue is ever resolved, you would regret the decision of getting a single 8-pin even more. You'd miss out on some unlocked performance.

When it's cold in here I can get 30c load on my 980 ti, the magic of watercooling with big radiators :x:x  (Shameless brag :P )

 

But yeah I completely understand why they limit all this stuff, they don't want boatloads of people killing their cards.  But at the same time, they're giving all serious / passtime overclockers the shaft :(

 

I love overclocking, and being able to push 1.6v through my GPU on dry ice if I desire, am I going to run that voltage 24/7? hell no, but I'd like the option to at least be there!


Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

400-500 series are the same

600-700 series are the same

900-1000 series are the same.

They've always rebranded, if I'm correct the 680 and 770 are the EXACT same thing.

the entire 500 is exactly the same as 400 series, they just tuned the clock speeds


CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Lays said:

When it's cold in here I can get 30c load on my 980 ti, the magic of watercooling with big radiators :x:x  (Shameless brag :P )

 

But yeah I completely understand why they limit all this stuff, they don't want boatloads of people killing their cards.  But at the same time, they're giving all serious / passtime overclockers the shaft :(

 

I love overclocking, and being able to push 1.6v through my GPU on dry ice if I desire, am I going to run that voltage 24/7? hell no, but I'd like the option to at least be there!

What is ur core clock in ur loop ? 


AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

 corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 hours ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

What is ur core clock in ur loop ? 

I usually run 1520/8200 or around there 


Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not voltage locked, I talked to the guy who created the original mod for the GTX 1080.I can screencap the message if you like but this is what he said when I asked him about the "1.25 limit"

 

"I'm going to post details in my guide regarding that and few other items. It's bit early to jump into any conclusions yet, as drivers still bit buggy. There is no hardware/PCB limit to go any voltage you want, problems are related to running settings as expected (and thats not only "1.25v limit"). Just have some patience. "

 

So it's good news. 

 

Here is the mod I'm talking about of course. 

 

https://xdevs.com/guide/pascal_oc/ 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, bandage106 said:

It's not voltage locked, I talked to the guy who created the original mod for the GTX 1080.I can screencap the message if you like but this is what he said when I asked him about the "1.25 limit"

 

"I'm going to post details in my guide regarding that and few other items. It's bit early to jump into any conclusions yet, as drivers still bit buggy. There is no hardware/PCB limit to go any voltage you want, problems are related to running settings as expected (and thats not only "1.25v limit"). Just have some patience. "

 

So it's good news. 

 

Here is the mod I'm talking about of course. 

 

https://xdevs.com/guide/pascal_oc/ 

 

 

 

As I said previously the card can go above 1.25v. But the driver crashes when  this happens. People that have done the mod (der8auer) has said the driver crashes when going past 1.25v.


Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lays said:

As I said previously the card can go above 1.25v. But the driver crashes when  this happens. People that have done the mod (der8auer) has said the driver crashes when going past 1.25v.

Right which is a consequence of running an unstable overclock, it happens to my GTX 970 too. For instance my GTX 970 G1 gaming I've OC'ed to 1700 stable boost everyone assumed the "limit" for the GTX 970 G1 gaming was 1.275v it's actually around 1.312 but OCing software will display it running at 1.275v even as I'm going overvoltage, there is also the issue with perf caps on the GTX 970 I don't believe those exist on the EVGA clasified but I do not own a EVGA classified. 

 

It might be the same thing here and in that case bios modding it might prove highly effective. If it's not a perf cap then it's a voltage cap and in that case it's figuring out how much headroom we can push before it crashes and hard modding it and sending more mv to the PCB manually, someone did point out knocking out the shunts might not be able to increase mv to the PCB because there are more compotents throughout the PCB that regulate voltage. 

 

I don't own a GTX 1080 yet but when I do I'll definetely play around with it a bit, or I'll wait until some bios mods are out, keep in mind this is a 16nm node so I'm not sure how safe 1.25v is though, some people on reddit noticed they were only able to get 1.08v but still get 2050mhz I think if someone were to get 1.25v they may be able to push the limit quite hard 2300-2400. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, bandage106 said:

Right which is a consequence of running an unstable overclock, it happens to my GTX 970 too. For instance my GTX 970 G1 gaming I've OC'ed to 1700 stable boost everyone assumed the "limit" for the GTX 970 G1 gaming was 1.275v it's actually around 1.312 but OCing software will display it running at 1.275v even as I'm going overvoltage, there is also the issue with perf caps on the GTX 970 I don't believe those exist on the EVGA clasified but I do not own a EVGA classified. 

 

It might be the same thing here and in that case bios modding it might prove highly effective. If it's not a perf cap then it's a voltage cap and in that case it's figuring out how much headroom we can push before it crashes and hard modding it and sending more mv to the PCB manually, someone did point out knocking out the shunts might not be able to increase mv to the PCB because there are more compotents throughout the PCB that regulate voltage. 

 

I don't own a GTX 1080 yet but when I do I'll definetely play around with it a bit, or I'll wait until some bios mods are out, keep in mind this is a 16nm node so I'm not sure how safe 1.25v is though, some people on reddit noticed they were only able to get 1.08v but still get 2050mhz I think if someone were to get 1.25v they may be able to push the limit quite hard 2300-2400. 

So you're telling me these guys using LN2 are having instability at over 1.25v with a custom bios with limits removed and all these mods on the card?  The people experiencing these problems are literally the best overclockers on the planet, if they say there is something wrong, they would of done extensive testing to try to figure out what the issue is.  The resistor shunt thing is irrelevant if they soldered an external VRM board, bypassing the default power connector and VRM. 


Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Link to post
Share on other sites

My idea why they did this lock is because else we would see Fermi types of cards and it kinda makes sense if that is why, because as we have seen they run a bit hot and then if you push over the 1.25 then who knows what might happen, maybe if they didn't have that lock GPU boost would just push over the 1.25 and then we would have Fermi back....


Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Lays said:

So you're telling me these guys using LN2 are having instability at over 1.25v with a custom bios with limits removed and all these mods on the card?  The people experiencing these problems are literally the best overclockers on the planet, if they say there is something wrong, they would of done extensive testing to try to figure out what the issue is.  The resistor shunt thing is irrelevant if they soldered an external VRM board, bypassing the default power connector and VRM. 

I doubt they have a working BIOs mod, infact a lot of those experts backtracked saying they'd wait until custom V-bios came out including the guy who originally made the 1080 mod in the first place. The GTX 1080 just came out, we should wait until either there is a working bios modding tool for pascal to come out or start dissecting the Custom AIB's before we start jumping to assumptions, just what the issue is. You can look but a custom bios modding tool for the GTX 1080 doesn't exist. 

 

If they did extensive testing they'd of also shown their test results and given the data to the public, that'd of been extremely helpful in distinguishing the actual issue. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
27 minutes ago, bandage106 said:

I doubt they have a working BIOs mod, infact a lot of those experts backtracked saying they'd wait until custom V-bios came out including the guy who originally made the 1080 mod in the first place. The GTX 1080 just came out, we should wait until either there is a working bios modding tool for pascal to come out or start dissecting the Custom AIB's before we start jumping to assumptions, just what the issue is. You can look but a custom bios modding tool for the GTX 1080 doesn't exist. 

 

If they did extensive testing they'd of also shown their test results and given the data to the public, that'd of been extremely helpful in distinguishing the actual issue. 

 

 

Der8auer has exclusive access to things we don't have, of course he has a working BIOS mod, he's most likely been in contact with Nvidia since he got his review samples for testing on Ln2. I'm fairly sure you can just use a hex editor to edit the BIOS, no need for a custom tool like "maxwell bios tweaker". He does a lot of stuff behind the scenes with modding cards, testing BIOS, making Ln2 pots and such. He's #3 in the world for pro overclocking, and has invented boatloads of stuff that's been crucial in the scene. He's the one behind Thermal Grizzly, and the Delid Die mate. He also bins CPU's on LN2 and sells them for a very hefty premium. (He sold a few i7 6700k that did 6500+ mhz on hwbot prime on every core for like 1500 euro)

 

He says he's tested multiple cards, and he also has a review sample of a 1080 Strix, which I assume he also tested on, so aftermarket PCB still has this issue.

 

pdJvu.png

pdJwQ.png

pdJzi.png

pdJA3.png

 

pdJFM.png

pdJGa.png

 


Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, bandage106 said:

I doubt they have a working BIOs mod, infact a lot of those experts backtracked saying they'd wait until custom V-bios came out including the guy who originally made the 1080 mod in the first place. The GTX 1080 just came out, we should wait until either there is a working bios modding tool for pascal to come out or start dissecting the Custom AIB's before we start jumping to assumptions, just what the issue is. You can look but a custom bios modding tool for the GTX 1080 doesn't exist. 

 

If they did extensive testing they'd of also shown their test results and given the data to the public, that'd of been extremely helpful in distinguishing the actual issue. 

 

If there is an issue with the core, a BIOS Will not help, even installing new VRMs does not help, the core just refuses more than 1.25V, TiN Of EVGA Said that he had the VRms pushing a lot more, but the core wouldnt take it.

K|NGP|N And der8auer have both made custom BIOS And it does not fix it whatsoever.


My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TheGamingBarrel said:

If there is an issue with the core, a BIOS Will not help, even installing new VRMs does not help, the core just refuses more than 1.25V, TiN Of EVGA Said that he had the VRms pushing a lot more, but the core wouldnt take it.

K|NGP|N And der8auer have both made custom BIOS And it does not fix it whatsoever.

I've been talking to TiN already, that's the message I posted up top after the 1.25v rumor started circulating I got in contact with him and sent him a message he sent me one back. 

 

"I'm going to post details in my guide regarding that and few other items. It's bit early to jump into any conclusions yet, as drivers still bit buggy. There is no hardware/PCB limit to go any voltage you want, problems are related to running settings as expected (and thats not only "1.25v limit"). Just have some patience. "

 

Bolded the part that's really most important. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×