100 mbps good internet speed? help me understand please

logan

So i will be getting new internet soon, is this good?

Does this mean if i have a 10gb game, at 100mbps it will be done in 1.7hrs?

10(gigs) x 1024(mb -> gb) = 10,240(mb) / 100(mbps) = 102.4(minutes) / 60 (min pr hr) = 1.7(hrs)

Up to 100 mbps downstream, 
100 mbps upstream
 (fiber)

THAT MOMENT YOU DISASSEMBLE YOUR COMPUTER....AND REASSEMBLE IT ....JUST SO SENPAI WILL NOTICE YOU

100mbps is great! So if you have a 10GB game to download:

10GB=10,000MB
10,000/100(your internet speed) = 100seconds

However this all depends on the server of which you're getting the game from. I have about 63mbps, but my games download at around 7mbps. So it doesn't quite work like that unfortunately.

100Mbps internet download speed is good.

But okay, there is a difference between Gb, Mb, GB, MB, GiB and MiB. You seem to be confusing some stuff.

1GB = 8Gb

1GB = 1000MB

1GiB = 1024MiB.

So with a 100Mbps download speed (assuming the server you're downloading from can handle that too) and you want to download a 10GB file:

100Mbps / 8 = 12,5MBps / 1000 = 0,0125GBps.

10 / 0,0125 = 800 seconds of download time = 13 minutes and 20 seconds.

9 minutes ago, Aels747 said:

100mbps is great! So if you have a 10GB game to download:

10GB=10,000MB
10,000/100(your internet speed) = 100seconds

However this all depends on the server of which you're getting the game from. I have about 63mbps, but my games download at around 7mbps. So it doesn't quite work like that unfortunately.

I think you are confusing MB and Mb now. Your ISP (and speedtest.net standardly) tells you your speed in Mbps and Steam (for example) tells you it in MBps.

So your internet speed of 63 Mbps = 7,875MBps. So if Steam downloads at 7MBps, it does work. It's not off.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, Minibois said:

But okay, there is a difference between Gb, Mb, GB, MB, GiB and MiB. You seem to be confusing some stuff.

1GB = 8Gb

1GB = 1000MB

1GiB = 1024MiB.

So with a 100Mbps download speed (assuming the server you're downloading from can handle that too) and you want to download a 10GB file:

100Mbps = 12,5MBps / 1000 = 0,0125GBps.

I think you are confusing MB and Mb now. Your ISP (and speedtest.net standardly) tells you your speed in Mbps and Steam (for example) tells you it in MBps.

So your internet speed of 63 Mbps = 7,875MBps. So if Steam downloads at 7MBps, it does work. It's not off.

Mind...

Blown...

Honestly, I didn't know that, thanks man!

8 minutes ago, Minibois said:

1GB = 8Gb

1GB = 1000MB

1GiB = 1024MiB.

100Mbps = 12,5MBps / 1000 = 0,0125GBps.

so is what ill be getting quite fast? to be able to download 10gb game in 13 min it's a lot faster than i have right now..anyways how much better is it then what i have now? (it takes me FOREVER to download any game....GTA V took....sooooooo long)

1.PNG

THAT MOMENT YOU DISASSEMBLE YOUR COMPUTER....AND REASSEMBLE IT ....JUST SO SENPAI WILL NOTICE YOU

8 minutes ago, Minibois said:

1GB = 8Gb

1GB = 1000MB

1GiB = 1024MiB.

100Mbps / 8 = 12,5MBps / 1000 = 0,0125GBps.

Well done for a well broken down post. Too many are confusing MBps with mbps!

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

13 minutes ago, logan said:

so is what ill be getting quite fast? to be able to download 10gb game in 13 min it's a lot faster than i have right now..anyways how much better is it then what i have now? 

1.PNG

It will be 10 times better than what you have now. The middle number will be 100Mbps and the right number will likely be 10Mbps.

EDIT: I see you mention fiber in your original post. If you have an optical fiber subscription (and have it running to your house too) you can get 100Mbps upload as well. If you want to be sure about that (that you have optical fiber running in front of your house) contact your ISP about it.

Right now you can download a game in 2 hours 13 minutes 20 minutes (or 8000 seconds, which as you can see is 10 times longer than it would take with 100Mbps download speed)

9 minutes ago, Eniqmatic said:

Well done for a well broken down post. Too many are confusing MBps with mbps!

As a noob some time ago I didn't know the difference between the two as well, so I try to explain to people now how it kinda works in the hopes that they understand it and pass along the knowledge.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

It will be 10 times better than what you have now. The middle number will be 100Mbps and the right number will likely be 10Mbps.

Right now you can download a game in 2 hours 13 minutes 20 minutes (or 8000 seconds, which as you can see is 10 times longer than it would take with 100Mbps download speed)

As a noob some time ago I didn't know the difference between the two as well, so I try to explain to people now how it kinda works in the hopes that they understand it and pass along the knowledge.

so steam says it will take me 11 hrs right now to download 40gb game (witcher 3) , with the new internet it will be 10 times faster.. so it would be done 53 minutes? since 10gb would be done in 13? (sorry, im retarded, so it takes me awhile to understand things)

4 minutes ago, logan said:

so steam says it will take me 11 hrs right now to download 40gb game (witcher 3) , with the new internet it will be 10 times faster.. so it would be done 53 minutes? since 10gb would be done in 13? (sorry, im retarded, so it takes me awhile to understand things)

Always try to go a bit slower on these type of calculations if you don't understand them. Try to make everything the same value, like all GB (Gigabyte), MB (Megabyte), Mb (Megabit), etc. (or Google something like "40GB to Megabit".)

40GB * 1000 = 40.000MB * 8 = 320.000 Megabit. (or 320,000. whichever you use)

With 10Mb download speed:

32.000 seconds = 8 hours 53 minutes and 20 seconds

With 100Mb download speed:

3.200 seconds = 53 minutes and 20 seconds

That is of course with a constant speed of 10Mbps (1,25MBps) and 100Mbps (12,5MBps) respectively.