13in Laptop with good battery and decent portability

Hey everyone, I'm looking for a decent 13in option that has a good battery for my long days away at school, but to some degree has some portability. 

Currently I am looking at the thinkpad 13 with the extended battery or maybe the X1 carbon for the sweet portability.

Im a computer engineering major so my day consists of random code compilation and note taking in various other classes. 

Im willing to spend around $1200 on the system.

Let me know your thoughts and thanks ahead of time.

xps13

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

HP Spectre x360

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

9 minutes ago, Enderman said:

xps13

I have considered the XPS 13 as it is an obvious contender in the market, however, the battery leaves a tad bit to be desired.

For example, I my current programming class runs about 4 hours (Its ludicrous I know), and I am not always able to be next to an outlet.

That being said, are external battery backs a good option for ultra portable notebooks like the XPS 13? If so would anyone have suggestions on a particular model that could get me another hour or two of juice?

25 minutes ago, HoneyBadger66 said:

I have considered the XPS 13 as it is an obvious contender in the market, however, the battery leaves a tad bit to be desired.

For example, I my current programming class runs about 4 hours (Its ludicrous I know), and I am not always able to be next to an outlet.

That being said, are external battery backs a good option for ultra portable notebooks like the XPS 13? If so would anyone have suggestions on a particular model that could get me another hour or two of juice?

???

the XPS13 has some of the best battery life of any windows laptop...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

10 minutes ago, Enderman said:

???

I think in my head I was getting benchmarks mixed up and after further invesigation it does seem to handle favorably and I see dell even offers their own battery bank. I might just have to pull the trigger on the $999.99 variant. 

11 minutes ago, HoneyBadger66 said:

I think in my head I was getting benchmarks mixed up and after further invesigation it does seem to handle favorably and I see dell even offers their own battery bank. I might just have to pull the trigger on the $999.99 variant. 

for me it can do an entire 10 hour day at school

have to turn screen brightness down though, it only lasts about 5-6 hours at 100% brightness

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

for me it can do an entire 10 hour day at school

have to turn screen brightness down though, it only lasts about 5-6 hours at 100% brightness

What model do you have if you don't mind me asking? Any complaints?

1 minute ago, HoneyBadger66 said:

What model do you have if you don't mind me asking? Any complaints?

one with an i5 and 128GB ssd, and the 1080p screen

the black surface can look bad if you have oily hands

but its not that hard to clean

i have a full review on my YT channel but you're gonna have to go to my profile for that, I'm not gonna post links here for advertising :P

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Enderman said:

???

um no, the x250, t450s, t460, t460s and x260 all reks the xps13 in battery life (and build) with no problem at all.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

6 hours ago, Dackzy said:

um no, the x250, t450s, t460, t460s and x260 all reks the xps13 in battery life (and build) with no problem at all.

doesnt seem like it form all the reviews I'm reading

they are about 5-8 hours with medius display brightness, which is the same or less as the XPS13

also they are all thicker, larger, and heavier than the XPS13

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

doesnt seem like it form all the reviews I'm reading

they are about 5-8 hours with medius display brightness, which is the same or less as the XPS13

also they are all thicker, larger, and heavier than the XPS13

the t450s,x250,x260 is 17 hours +

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

13 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

the t450s,x250,x260 is 17 hours +

http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/lenovo-thinkpad-t450s

7 hours and 31 minutes

http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/lenovo-thinkpad-x250

7:31

http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/lenovo-thinkpad-x260

8 hours and 16 minutes

pretty much the same as the XPS13

they all do 15-17 hours with the 6 cell battery, but not the 3 cell

and no, none of them are as small, thin, or light as the XPS13

they also look like crap

Lenovo ThinkPad X250dell_xps13-8.jpg

lenovo-thinkpad-t450s-g10.jpgdellXPS13-9343.jpg

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/lenovo-thinkpad-t450s

7 hours and 31 minutes

http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/lenovo-thinkpad-x250

7:31

http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/lenovo-thinkpad-x260

8 hours and 16 minutes

they all do 15-17 hours with the 6 cell battery, but not the 3 cell

and no, none of them are as small, thin, or light as the XPS13

they also look like crap

Lenovo ThinkPad X250dell_xps13-8.jpg

lenovo-thinkpad-t450s-g10.jpgdellXPS13-9343.jpg

You have clearly not seen that you can with them all get a upgraded version of the battery, some people get the x260 to last a bit over 24 hours, but most are 17-18 hours and you can also get that for all the other laptops. Youi only have to pay 30-40$

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

You have clearly not seen that you can with them all get a upgraded version of the battery, some people get the x260 to last a bit over 24 hours, but most are 17-18 hours and you can also get that for all the other laptops. Youi only have to pay 30-40$

You clearly have not read more than the first sentence of my post and missed the part where I mentioned the 6 cell battery.

You probably also missed the part where I said they look like crap and are thick.

Try reading better next time, thanks.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

You clearly have not read more than the first sentence of my post and missed the part where I mentioned the 6 cell battery.

You probably also missed the part where I said they look like crap and are thick.

Try reading better next time, thanks.

Uuuuh they are not as slim as the xps, but they are build much better and looks matter so much. I go up in hardware and how it performce not how it looks so a thinkpad is 10000000000% better than a xps 13 for me. The thinkpads also have better keyboard. Let me just hear who with a god damn brain would buy it with a 3cel when the 6cel is 30$ more to get much more battery life and you can even hotswap the battery in them. So what about you read up on what a thinkpad can.

4 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Uuuuh they are not as slim as the xps, but they are build much better and looks matter so much. I go up in hardware and how it performce not how it looks so a thinkpad is 10000000000% better than a xps 13 for me. The thinkpads also have better keyboard. Let me just hear who with a god damn brain would buy it with a 3cel when the 6cel is 30$ more to get much more battery life and you can even hotswap the battery in them. So what about you read up on what a thinkpad can.

You're joking, right?

those laptops are made of plastic...

And the keyboard on the XPS13 works just fine so idk what you're going on about

also performance depends on what model XPS13 you get, there are options for 16GB ram, larger SSD, better CPU, etc...

And yeah I did "read up on what a thinkpad can" as you can see from my previous post where I linked all the reviews.

Again, you cant read.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

You're joking, right?

also performance depends on what model XPS13 you get, there are options for 16GB ram, larger SSD, better CPU, etc...

And yeah I did "read up on what a thinkpad can" as you can see from my previous post where I linked all the reviews.

Again, you cant read.

HOLY SHIT YOU DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THINKPADS. everything about them is made to protect the parts inside them, the only type of laptops that are built better are toughbooks

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You're joking, right?

Again, you cant read.

macbooks are made from CNC cut aircraft grade aluminium. Their build quality is still meh due to cheap glue and weak screws and plastic pins.

Material quality =/= BUILD quality.

But hey, please PROVE that a Tinkpad breaks before a XPS13.... Thinkpads are renown for their godlike durability, so you got quite a case to prove if you think a XPS is better.

6 minutes ago, Mantayd17 said:

Try having a look at the 13" MacBook Air; recently they have received a minor update sporting 8 GB of RAM standard (read: no need to pay more to upgrade it). Can go up to 12 hours of battery life, more than enough to get you through a full day. Have a look at the refurbished market as well.

Macbook air.

Expensive

meh hardware

meh build quality

ONE FUCKING PORT

adapters costs lots and are a hassle to carry about

pros:

Excellent material quality

Excellent design

Grants you access to the apple sheep club

10 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You're joking, right?

Again, you cant read.

You have clearly never had a T or X series thinkpad and you clearly know jack shit about them(and laptops). They are "just" made with alu magnesium, carbon, aluminium, gorilla glas and they have a roll cage and some rubber to project the parts if you drop them. The keyboard on them are the best keyboard you can get on any laptop the next step up is a mech keyboard and this is not just me saying this every single person who uses them says the same. I think you need to read up and maybe stop spreading lies about them, you probaly also think that they had any of that spyware on them.

PS. read up on things before you say shit like that.

@Enderman

If design matters you buy a Macbook or HP Spectre.

If absolute performance matters you buy a MSI gaming laptop

If portability matters you buy a tablet

If budget performance matters you get a AMD A12 "Pro" 8800p APU. AMD drivers support GPU acceleration for a large variety of software, intel does not. Fact.

If you want to set fire to yourself, you buy an Acer, Razer or Alienware craptop. Price point irrelevant.

If you need battery, get a HP or Lenovo with add-on batteries/large battery packs.

If you need something that will last, you get a Thinkpad or Fujitsu Siemens. The chance that those laptops will outlive your entire educational life is quite high.

1 minute ago, Mantayd17 said:

One port? Wat

He was thinking of the 12inch macbook, but everything else is the same.

45 minutes ago, Prysin said:

macbooks are made from CNC cut aircraft grade aluminium. Their build quality is still meh due to cheap glue and weak screws and plastic pins.

Material quality =/= BUILD quality.

But hey, please PROVE that a Tinkpad breaks before a XPS13.... Thinkpads are renown for their godlike durability, so you got quite a case to prove if you think a XPS is better.

They have great build quality, if you've ever taken one apart.

There's a reason millions of people have macbooks and barely anyone has a hardware failure.

Never seen any complaints about cheap glue or pins, idk where you got that from.

44 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

You have clearly never had a T or X series thinkpad and you clearly know jack shit about them(and laptops). They are "just" made with alu magnesium, carbon, aluminium, gorilla glas and they have a roll cage and some rubber to project the parts if you drop them. The keyboard on them are the best keyboard you can get on any laptop the next step up is a mech keyboard and this is not just me saying this every single person who uses them says the same. I think you need to read up and maybe stop spreading lies about them, you probaly also think that they had any of that spyware on them.

PS. read up on things before you say shit like that.

literally the first review on the lenovo website:

bandicam 2016-05-30 07-26-24-993.png

LOL

Spoiler