Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
glitchmaster0001

is the Xeon E5 2670 a good CPU?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi so im looking to build a workstation PC and i saw that you can buy 2 E5 2670 Xeons for around $120 and for 16 cores 32 threads thats pretty good value for money but i was wondering how would these CPUs do in rendering video editing and gaming. would this make a good value for money PC? thanks guys 


"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

Link to post
Share on other sites

Roughly speaking, it looks to me like a slightly all around weaker 5960x (5960X would be ~25% better in all things)


Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

Hi so im looking to build a workstation PC and i saw that you can buy 2 E5 2670 Xeons for around $120 and for 16 cores 32 threads thats pretty good value for money but i was wondering how would these CPUs do in rendering video editing and gaming. would this make a good value for money PC? thanks guys 

Those xeons are excellent for 3d rendering, good for video editing but not so good for gaming because the single core performance is not high.

For a workstation, they are excellent

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, XamN said:

Those xeons are excellent for 3d rendering, good for video editing but not so good for gaming because the single core performance is not high.

For a workstation, they are excellent

for me workstation purpose is primary and gaming is secondary and for gaming im only at 1080p and i still rock a DDR2 system as my main gaming desktop 


"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

for me workstation purpose is primary and gaming is secondary and for gaming im only at 1080p and i still rock a DDR2 system as my main gaming desktop 

Most games only take advantage of 4 cores or less, these are not good for gaming but i think u will be fine if u dont play cpu intensive games

Link to post
Share on other sites

How other part prices are looking for you with those two? Motherboards and ram tend to be quite pricey even when server cpus for that platform are sold cheap. We're talking here price range between $400 and $1000 for a board for those two + memory which might end up being the buffered type or some other expensive ECC type.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

for me workstation purpose is primary and gaming is secondary and for gaming im only at 1080p and i still rock a DDR2 system as my main gaming desktop 

I'm pretty sure that even with the age of these xeons they will out perform any DDR2 CPU even in single threaded applications (but if someone has benchmarks to prove otherwise please let me know)


Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

Hi so im looking to build a workstation PC and i saw that you can buy 2 E5 2670 Xeons for around $120 and for 16 cores 32 threads thats pretty good value for money but i was wondering how would these CPUs do in rendering video editing and gaming. would this make a good value for money PC? thanks guys 

they perform well in rendering, but somewhat poorly in gaming.


| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X Trio 2ghz OC  RAM: 16GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Rift S

 

Read: My opinions on VR in it's current state, should YOU buy into it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 minutes ago, SaperPL said:

How other part prices are looking for you with those two? Motherboards and ram tend to be quite pricey even when server cpus for that platform are sold cheap. We're talking here price range between $400 and $1000 for a board for those two + memory which might end up being the buffered type or some other expensive ECC type.

i see 64gb of DDR3 ECC for $100 on ebay and the board i see some local craigslist deals for a dual socket board at around $180 but to be honest im fine with 32gb of ram 


"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

Link to post
Share on other sites

excellent for rendering and server tasks. For the price its pretty much unbeatable($50~70). The only downside is that the motherboards tend to be very expensive, expecially the dual socket motherboards, thats where most of the money goes.

 

I'll be collecting my pictures and making a build log of my server build soon as soon as my gaming PC is back in operation (Mobo RMA in progress). I am extremely satisfied with my server based around it.


Razer Blade Stealth | i5-7200u | 8GB DDR3 1866

Ryzen 2600x | 16GB DDR4 3333mhz [15-15-15-36-50] | PowerColor Vega 56 8GB 

Phone Pixel 4XL || Android - 10.0 

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing" - John Powell

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

excellent for rendering and server tasks. For the price is pretty much unbeatable. The only downside is that the motherboards tend to be very expensive, expecially the dual socket motherboards, thats where most of the money goes.

 

I'll be collecting my pictures and making a build log of my server build soon as soon as my gaming PC is back in operation (Mobo RMA in progress)

i think i got a pretty good deal on a dual socket board locally on craigslist. its $180 and i already have this old ass EATX case from the 90's that im going to use 


"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

i think i got a pretty good deal on a dual socket board locally on craigslist. its $180 and i already have this old ass EATX case from the 90's that im going to use 

I had to pay $399 for mine, although it does have 24 RAM slots and quad gigabit ethernet. I wanted to get a really good board for mine. The form factor is a pain though, Its current installation isn't secure enough (EEATX in EATX case) for me to trust it standing up, especially with the coolers I have installed. Its currently laying on its side.


Razer Blade Stealth | i5-7200u | 8GB DDR3 1866

Ryzen 2600x | 16GB DDR4 3333mhz [15-15-15-36-50] | PowerColor Vega 56 8GB 

Phone Pixel 4XL || Android - 10.0 

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing" - John Powell

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, suchamoneypit said:

I had to pay $399 for mine, although it does have 24 RAM slots and quad gigabit ethernet. I wanted to get a really good board for mine. The form factor is a pain though, Its current installation isn't secure enough (EEATX in EATX case) for me to trust it standing up, especially with the coolers I have installed. Its currently laying on its side.

my board has 12 ram slots and 2 gigabit ethernet ports 2 usb 2.0 ports and its made locally where i live (supermicro computer) 


"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

i see 64gb of DDR3 ECC for $100 on ebay and the board i see some local craigslist deals for a dual socket board at around $180 but to be honest im fine with 32gb of ram 

Quick search on 2011 boards brought me here: http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X9SRA.cfm which uses Registered memory - ECCR / RDIMMs

 

Looks like those might be found easily below $100. Just make sure to buy the correct ones for the board and cpu configuration - Board might be compatible with running non registered memory in single cpu configuration for example while dual cpu's will need registered ones or it'll depend on whether u're running a multi-cpu configuration type cpu or not. Multiple memory type support in board specs may be really misleading in this manner.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SaperPL said:

Quick search on 2011 boards brought me here: http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X9SRA.cfm which uses Registered memory - ECCR / RDIMMs

 

Looks like those might be found easily below $100. Just make sure to buy the correct ones for the board and cpu configuration - Board might be compatible with running non registered memory in single cpu configuration for example while dual cpu's will need registered ones or it'll depend on whether u're running a multi-cpu configuration type cpu or not. Multiple memory type support in board specs may be really misleading in this manner.

 

 

Unfortunately the 2011 boards go for about $250 used, but as for the ram it isn't usually dependent on the number of cpus, just that there will be a 64Gb limit for udimms, and a few hundred Gb limit on rdimms(ecc), and they cannot be mixed together.


 

 •E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×