Camera Upgrade?

I have a nikon d300 and I'm wondering if it is worthwhile to upgrade to a newer camera.

It depends on what you want to do and if the camera has become a limitation.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

2 hours ago, ALwin said:

It depends on what you want to do and if the camera has become a limitation.

i take photos for fun but i like taking pictures that look good so im wondering if I get a better camera will the photos be better enough to justify the cost

9 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

i take photos for fun but i like taking pictures that look good so im wondering if I get a better camera will the photos be better enough to justify the cost

The Nikon D300 is a bit old, and if you invest in a more modern camera you may gain a tiny benefit from the newer sensor and image processor.  However, 99.9% of photography comes from your skill and experience, not the camera.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

The Nikon D500 would be your upgrade path to keep all accessories (minus the specific things like batteries and battery grip) compatible. 

The question becomes is it worth the two thousand dollar cost to you. About double the MP, significantly better ISO and autofocus. Records video (4k even) too. 

Basically a cost benefit. Will you see improvement... some. Will pictures look better... under certain circumstances yes. Will you gain a ton of features... not really.

Just comes down to if you want to spend the money or not .