How do you get and install your own modem?

Hulkbert

Right now I am spending $10 a month for a modem from Comcast. So, how do I get rid of the $10 month bill, which modem should I buy and how do I install it?

Amazon has plenty of modems that will work with Comcast(cable I assume). What's your budget?

Just now, Arc_Jester said:

Amazon has plenty of modems that will work with Comcast(cable I assume). What's your budget?

$100

2 minutes ago, Hulkbert said:

$100

Oh and what is your connection speed?

1 minute ago, Arc_Jester said:

Oh and what is your connection speed?

not 100% sure (due to the crappy modem) but I think 50mbps IIRC.

4 minutes ago, Hulkbert said:

not 100% sure (due to the crappy modem) but I think 50mbps IIRC.

If that's the case then one of these will be way more than you need unless you decide to upgrade to gigabit in the future:

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Certified-Comcast-XFINITY-CM500-100NAS/dp/B00R92CEVU/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1464539363&sr=1-1&keywords=comcast

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TC-7610-Certified-Comcast-XFINITY/dp/B010Q29YF8/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1464539363&sr=1-5&keywords=comcast

Modems can be bought from just about anywhere (well not the local drycleaners but you know what I mean).

To authenticate it on whatever ISP provides your internet, phone them, with the unit's MAC number to hand, they will enable that modem on their network.

It is not as clearcut as it may first appear; if it goes wrong it is down to you to repair/replace,does your ISP not update the modem yearly anyway.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Are you looking for just a modem or do you need a modem/router combo? If you just want a modem you can use the Motorola SB6121 or SB6183, avoid the 6141 as it's very buggy still. You order it off Amazon, Newegg, etc. and when it arrives you call up Comcast and tell them you want to activate a new modem, they'll ask for the MAC Address on the bottom, and then you just swap out with your current modem and return the old one to them.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, soup said:

Modems can be bought from just about anywhere (well not the local drycleaners but you know what I mean).

To authenticate it on whatever ISP provides your internet, phone them, with the unit's MAC number to hand, they will enable that modem on their network.

It is not as clearcut as it may first appear; if it goes wrong it is down to you to repair/replace,does your ISP not update the modem yearly anyway.

Well. In the many years that I have had that modem, no upgraded modem has arrived.

3 minutes ago, Arc_Jester said:

Do you know ,for cable tv, if I need the modem for that? Also, I think I might need more Ethernet ports and the gigabit ports.

3 minutes ago, Hulkbert said:

Well. In the many years that I have had that modem, no upgraded modem has arrived.

...Squeeky wheel gets the grease.... Most (well n=1) ISPs will update whenever they are threatened with 'leaving if they don't' etc

Maybe you should write them a shitty letter outlining how you feel and they MAY send a MODEM/router combo

"This too shall pass"

2 minutes ago, Hulkbert said:

Do you know ,for cable tv, if I need the modem for that? Also, I think I might need more Ethernet ports and the gigabit ports.

TV Cable comes in on a different line so no need to worry about that part.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, Hulkbert said:

No you don't, do you need a modem/router combo or just a modem? you router should already have a built in 4 port switch.

6 minutes ago, Hulkbert said:

If you need more ports you can get an unmanaged switch for like $30 and add 5 more gigabit ports:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122128

If you need more than 5 they have an 8 port version for just a bit more.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Arc_Jester said:

No you don't, do you need a modem/router combo or just a modem? you router should already have a built in 4 port switch.

Right now I have a modem/router. If a buying a router and a modem separately is cheaper then I will probably do that.

6 minutes ago, Hulkbert said:

Yes, that's just a lower speed rated version of the one I recommended. This is also a good router if you need it: http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Wireless-Dual-Band-Anywhere-EA6100/dp/B00JZWQTKO

Also, what if I have phone with comcast as well. do I need a different modem for that?

1 minute ago, Hulkbert said:

Also, what if I have phone with comcast as well. do I need a different modem for that?

Yah, you'll need a voice modem for that. If they are like TWC then you can keep the current modem just for voice at no charge but I would make sure.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Yah, you'll need a voice modem for that. If they are like TWC then you can keep the current modem just for voice at no charge but I would make sure.

Let's assume that they won't do that. So, what modem should I get?

24 minutes ago, Lurick said:

TV Cable comes in on a different line so no need to worry about that part.

Not always. My TV supplier and my ISP are the same 'people' (Virginmedia).  One line comes into the house it is split (actually into three) one for the TV one for the MODEM in the lounge (one for the TV upstairs)

IMAG0002.jpg

Next time I decorate will have to dismantle all that as is it is in a normally unseen corner (behind the couch)  was brushed around last time .

Just shows how unseen corners get very dingy if unkempt

"This too shall pass"

53 minutes ago, soup said:

-SNIP-

Yah, I should have made that more clear. It comes in on the same cable but is a different signal compared to the internet signal. It's then split to the cable box(es) and everything else that needs to be hooked up.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

11 hours ago, soup said:

Not always. My TV supplier and my ISP are the same 'people' (Virginmedia).  One line comes into the house it is split (actually into three) one for the TV one for the MODEM in the lounge (one for the TV upstairs)

IMAG0002.jpg

Next time I decorate will have to dismantle all that as is it is in a normally unseen corner (behind the couch)  was brushed around last time .

Just shows how unseen corners get very dingy if unkempt

Depends on the splitter. On a two way splitter you get 3.5db of loss on each leg. Most 3 way splitters are unbalanced. Meaning -3.5db, -7, -7. Yours in the picture is a balanced one with 5.5db of loss on each leg. Most cable company's do the 2 way to keep the amount of loss to a min. 

11 hours ago, Hulkbert said:

Thats because Comcast is incompetent. They tend to wait for you to bitch first. 

11 hours ago, Hulkbert said:

Right now I have a modem/router. If a buying a router and a modem separately is cheaper then I will probably do that.

May not be cheaper, but its better. Modem Router combos tend to suck. Its kinda like a multi function printer. It does every thing just not really well. I never under stood these combo devices when I have read you need to keep your router and modem at lest 3 feet from each other just in case there is interference. Not sure if thats true, but I have seen it posted many times on other tech forums. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.