How to get gigabit network connection over wifi?

Yongtjunkit

Hi,

I was wondering if I can get gigabit network connection over wifi. I'm currently getting around 50-75mbps network speed over wifi to a gigabit network attached storage. The router is gigabit too

On 802.11ac WiFi connection you'll get about 70 to 100 mbps in the real world. 200+ over very short distances with no obstructions. A long way sort of a gigabit connection.

The router claiming to me gigabit is for the ethernet ports not the WiFi

2 minutes ago, Rammix said:

On 802.11ac WiFi connection you'll get about 70 to 100 mbps in the real world. 200+ over very short distances with no obstructions. A long way sort of a gigabit connection.

If you're only getting 70 to 100 Mbps on an AC connection you've got a crap wireless AP/router or are too far away from the 5Ghz range and are on 2.4Ghz which is 802.11N speed. I see 500 to 750 Mbps wireless speeds on with my AC AP no problem and I've got a wall and some distance between me and the router.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

22 minutes ago, Rammix said:

19 minutes ago, Lurick said:

If you're only getting 70 to 100 Mbps on an AC connection you've got a crap wireless AP/router or are too far away from the 5Ghz range and are on 2.4Ghz which is 802.11N speed. I see 500 to 750 Mbps wireless speeds on with my AC AP no problem and I've got a wall and some distance between me and the router.

My laptop have only 2.4ghz wireless n and usually gets around 50-70 mbps and it's 1 floor up from the router 

1 minute ago, Yongtjunkit said:

My laptop have only 2.4ghz wireless n and usually gets around 50-70 mbps and it's 1 floor up

If you only have 2.4Ghz capable laptop then 802.11AC and advanced 802.11N features such as 2.4Ghz + 5Ghz channels won't improve your speeds. The 2.4Ghz band is limited to roughly 300Mbps and you can get closer to that speed with a less cluttered network (ie: no neighbors) and technology such as Beam Forming but distance will always play a factor.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

49 minutes ago, Lurick said:

If you only have 2.4Ghz capable laptop then 802.11AC and advanced 802.11N features such as 2.4Ghz + 5Ghz channels won't improve your speeds. The 2.4Ghz band is limited to roughly 300Mbps and you can get closer to that speed with a less cluttered network (ie: no neighbors) and technology such as Beam Forming but distance will always play a factor.

Ok, so 50-70 mbps network speed is normal for 2.4ghz wireless n wifi?

Just now, Yongtjunkit said:

Ok, so 50-70 mbps network speed is normal for 2.4ghz wireless n wifi?

Yah, that's within acceptable numbers. It's possible, even though you're on a 802.11N capable device it's only operating at 802.11G or approximate speeds depending on the signal strength and interference from neighbors, etc.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

On 5/29/2016 at 3:55 PM, Lurick said:

Yah, that's within acceptable numbers. It's possible, even though you're on a 802.11N capable device it's only operating at 802.11G or approximate speeds depending on the signal strength and interference from neighbors, etc.

I recommend he gets an app like Wifi analyzer (available on the play store here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en) to see what channels are open where he is or what channels would cause the least amount of interference. That should help him improve his connection quality. 

8 hours ago, The Falcon said:

I recommend he gets an app like Wifi analyzer (available on the play store here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en) to see what channels are open where he is or what channels would cause the least amount of interference. That should help him improve his connection quality. 

Ok, i've tried that before and 2.4 ghz is congested(not living in a condo) so I have brought a dual band router and the laptop doesn't support 5ghz so 2.4 ghz is my only option 

10 hours ago, Yongtjunkit said:

Ok, i've tried that before and 2.4 ghz is congested(not living in a condo) so I have brought a dual band router and the laptop doesn't support 5ghz so 2.4 ghz is my only option 

If you look at all the bands there should be some bands with minimal to no access points on them, try setting the router to use that band.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Keep in mind one of the big things about wireless is that it is half duplex while wired is full duplex for speed; gig up gig down simultaneously. 

11 hours ago, Yongtjunkit said:

Ah, have you thought about buying an external 5ghz usb wifi adapter for your laptop?

14 hours ago, The Falcon said:

Ah, have you thought about buying an external 5ghz usb wifi adapter for your laptop?

No plans for that as the laptop has only 1 usb 2.0 port and 1 usb 3.0 port