Audio interface. Confusion galore. Help?

Okay, so I pretty much know I need to get myself a proper audio interface for my mic setup.  Plus, being able to record music from my electric violin with most audio interfaces would turn this into a multi-purpose device which I would use QUITE REGULARLY.  I mostly use it for my AT2020 for doing gamepIay commentary, but not having proper volume controls makes me want to get at least a tiny interface. I did some looking around, and I keep hearing "Get the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 if you can't find yourself a Scarlett Solo, and just ignore everything else"... but then I saw the Behringer UMC204HD.

The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is readily available at most places for $130, but the Behringer UMC204HD is currently going for $80 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-2i2-USB-Recording-Interface/dp/B005OZE9SA

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UMC202HD-Interface-Microphone-Preamplifiers/dp/B00QHURLCW

The 2i2 includes two inputs and two audio outputs and outputs at 16 bits / 96kHz.  The UMC204HD includes two inputs, four audio outputs, two insert plugs for additional hardware compatibility (hardware EQ or noise gate perhaps?), and a MIDI in and out (which I would likely never use, but hey... it's there if I ever find a reason to), a 40db pad button for each input, and outputs at 24bits / 192 kHz.  They both connect via USB to provide both power and connectivity and include a live monitoring jack.

Now, I'm highly confused, because the Behringer audio interface seems to come with much more bang for the buck, and... somehow, it's a cheaper device?  Are the MIDAS preamps THAT bad that it saves so much in production costs that they can toss in all those little extras as well?

I'd like to hear from people, preferably who have had experience with one or the other, if not both, and get some opinions.  Are there any others you would recommend, perhaps?

Behringer isn't as trusted a brand as Focusrite when it comes to audio equipment, as they're known for reverse-engineering other designs and selling the imitations as their own. Yet somehow they've managed to do enough business to purchase an awesome brand like Midas (who makes high-end live sound reinforcement equipment), and integrate it into their own products.

I bet those Midas preamps would sound top-notch, but I would doubt the quality of Behringer's A/D conversion. Also, preamps powered off of 5V, 500mA USB ports (2.5 watts!) don't really have the power output available to match a traditional stand-alone microphone preamp, so don't expect anything amazing. And unless you're doing a lot of pitch shifting or professional-quality archiving you don't really need to record at 192kHz. Most recording studios will record at somewhere between 44.1kHz and 96kHz.

At this level of audio interface (USB), the most important things to compare would be functionality/features and support. Quality differences between the two would be minimal in comparison to professional recording setups. I would bet the Focusrite unit has a stronger user base and better driver support, in case of glitches or driver issues. On the other hand, you do have a more I/O capabilities with the Behringer unit. Decisions, decisions.

Good luck!

BTW, check out these little bad boys. I wonder who copied who.

http://www.amazon.com/Ebtech-Swizz-CT-Swizz-Cable-Tester/dp/B0002GLCE0/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-CT100-BEHRINGER/dp/B000CCIVCA/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1464582741&sr=1-2&keywords=ebtech+cable+tester

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up getting both and testing them both out with intentions of returning one.  Oddly enough, the Behringer won.  For the vast price difference between the two, the Behringer was a lot easier to set up, seems to have a MUCH lower latency than the Focusrite at the same sample sizes, and it sounded nearly identical for voice, with a slight edge given tot he Behringer for musical instruments.

Overall, I'm happy that I could spend a lot less money for a device with a lot more features and slightly better quality.  Looks like Behringer got a huge boost now that they snatched Midas. 

7 hours ago, Kaidesa said:

I ended up getting both and testing them both out with intentions of returning one.  Oddly enough, the Behringer won.  For the vast price difference between the two, the Behringer was a lot easier to set up, seems to have a MUCH lower latency than the Focusrite at the same sample sizes, and it sounded nearly identical for voice, with a slight edge given tot he Behringer for musical instruments.

Overall, I'm happy that I could spend a lot less money for a device with a lot more features and slightly better quality.  Looks like Behringer got a huge boost now that they snatched Midas. 

My friend I applaud you.

This is exactly how people should choose between two products.

You tested and found which worked best for you.

This makes me so happy, lol.

I enjoy my purchases so much more when I'm so certain I bought exactly the right product.

Enjoy your new interface!! :)