Best Mic for Voice Work?

Jettster

Hello,

So I'm currently in the process of getting my microphone replaced, but I'm not sure which microphone to get.

My current preference right now is a cardioid condenser microphone that is USB. For a few years now, all I've heard most people brag about is the AT2020, while the Blue (which by the way, was the manufacturer I had before) Yeti was one that was also popular.

But that was a few years ago. Is there anything topping the market right now that sounds really good, crisp, and quality? I have a somewhat bass/baritone voice, and usually I can't isolate background noise too well.

Thanks for the help

For isolation of background noises skip using condenser microphones. Unless you have properly sound treatment of your room just go with dynamic microphones. For great results Electro Voice RE20 and Shure SM7 are hard to beat (standard for radio stations for decades)

2 hours ago, Niksa said:

For isolation of background noises skip using condenser microphones. Unless you have properly sound treatment of your room just go with dynamic microphones. For great results Electro Voice RE20 and Shure SM7 are hard to beat (standard for radio stations for decades)

This.  Condenser microphones pick up EVERYTHING going on around them.  If you scratch your ANYTHING in front of it, people will hear it.  Condenser microphones are meant to do this, and there's really no way around it. 

Dynamic microphones require you to be pretty close to the mic for it to pick things up.  Perhaps not the best if you plan on streaming or something similar, because nobody wants to stare at a microphone in front of someone's face all day, but if for communication only, it's likely your best bet if you're going to be in a noisy environment.

The microphones mentioned above are pretty damn good, but also pretty damn expensive.  They're pretty much mid-high end studio microphones.  The Audio-Technica ATR2100 is a USB and/or XLR microphone that has decent quality, but nothing earth shattering.  In the world of microphones, you pretty much get what you pay for, with some minor exceptions to the rule.

Good answers so far.  What sort of 'voice work' are we talking about?  Recording studio type mics are generally a poor choice for conversational use.

3 hours ago, ThomasD said:

Good answers so far.  What sort of 'voice work' are we talking about?  Recording studio type mics are generally a poor choice for conversational use.

My day job is an Audio Engineer and I have to say that this is the most relevant question so far.

Each type of mic is very good at a specific type of thing.

What are you looking to do? Because a lot can be done within DAWs these days, but the best thing you can do is have a great source recording.
You can get a shield from the room noise, a pop filter and different things to help with the ambient noise but for us to offer the best advice, we need to know what you are using it for.

8 hours ago, ThomasD said:

I was looking into mostly commentary, podcasts, and gaming commentary.

It's funny to see these responses, all I've seen gamers use recently is condenser microphones :P

Gamers who stream and/or do YouTube (Markiplier, Pewdiepie and jacksepticeye and the likes) use condenser microphones, sure, but only because they can either A)  Keep themselves restricted to noise-free environments or B)  Isolate themselves via acoustic padding and/or other soundproofing techniques.

Jacksepticeye used to record in a closet just to separate himself from noise.  Not the best suggestion...

If you can't isolate yourself from noisy environments somehow?  Yeah, dynamic microphones are your best bet.  Hands down.

People always want 'the best' but often fail to grasp the actual application matters.

The best plane for aerobatics is going to be inherently unstable and all but refuse to fly straight and level.  It makes  a lousy choice for a small business commuter.  But darn if it ain't the best.

Consenser mics are a lot like this.  If my primary goal is conveying words more than sounds I'd  rather have a relatively inexpensive dynamic cardioid or maybe even a shotgun and 'suffer' with the less than perfect audio reproduction.  My voice might not sound quite so rich, but it also will not be lost or disrupted by extraneous noise or poor level control.

Plus if I drop it there will be no tears shed.