Best CPU for a NAS with FreeNAS

TDA

I would like to build a NAS and i dont know wich CPU i should buy i want to stay below 200€ with the MOtherboard they can be seperate or together.

I will apreciate the Help.

What matters most is ensuring you have enough RAM per every TB of HDD space.

"Rampage IV" - Gaming PC

Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced    EVGA GeForce GTX 980                            ASUS VE278H 27in LED Monitor x 3

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition         G.Skill Trident X 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz     Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W

i7 4930k - Overclocked @ 4.5GHz     Samsung 850 SSD 250GB x2 RAID 0           Western Digital Blue 1TB

Logitech G930 Wireless Headset      Razer Naga 2012 MMO Gaming Mouse      Logitech G710+ Mechanical Keyboard

"EMCMS-ESXI" - Server

HPZ800 Workstation Chassis           Seagate 4TB NAS Drive x 4 RAID Z           48GB ECC Elpida DDR3 SDRAM

Xeon E5620 @ 2.66GHz x 2             PNY CS2211 240GB SSD                          HP 80 PLUS Silver APFC PSU - 1110W

LSI 9211-8i SAS in IT Mode

9 hours ago, TDA said:

I would like to build a NAS and i dont know wich CPU i should buy i want to stay below 200€ with the MOtherboard they can be seperate or together.

I will apreciate the Help.

The aforementioned i3 or Pentium would be good. Alternatively, you can get a lot of processing power for your money if you buy used server hardware.

For instance, I got two 6-core Xeons for about $130, plus a used server motherboard. It does require doing research to make sure everything's compatible.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

If you're savvy with buying boards off of eBay, you can probably put together a Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge CPU/mobo/RAM combo for $60-$70 these days (I did recently!) that would work very well for the purpose. 

Quite frankly, NAS type stuff uses very little CPU.  In the longer-term, you should be thinking about reliability, connectivity/expandability, and the ability to accommodate the number of drives you'll want in the system.  Of course, if you spend little up-front or buy used hardware, you don't have a lot of money sunk, so you can always buy more.  Keeping power consumption down is important given that most NAS's are run 24/7.  Even noise might be a consideration in a residence if you can't stow it in a closet or storage room.