Same GPU, Upgraded System - Crazy Lag

Hello everyone, 

I previous made a thread over at Tom's Hardware and I'm none the wiser. You can find the thread and the steps I've covered to try and solve my issue: 

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3071767/system-graphics-card-lag.html#18031392

I was originally running a 670 2GB, i7 3770k and 8GB DDR3 RAM. 

Just today, I upgraded to an i7 6700K and 16GB DDR4 RAM. This is prep for a GTX 1080. I am still running my original 670 at the moment. And still running my original Win10 64bit OS on an SSD which has been transferred over to my new system. And I've just performed a clean Nvidia driver install, still no difference. 

I am now completely for some reason unable to run games whatsoever. I was getting 45-70 FPS on Overwatch in max settings which is now down to unplayable frames. Same goes for Tomb Raider released in 2014, 40 - 70 FPS down to completely unplayable. It only seems to lag like this when the GPU is under stress, alt+tabbing out of games at this point causes Windows to freeze too.

I've tried new drivers for both my GPU and Board, scanned for viruses/malware and even bitcoin GPU hijacker programs. I'm at a loss. 

I think it must be some form of software issue? As if I was running Overwatch on all max settings with the same 670, i7 3770K and 8GB DDR3 RAM. Then surely I can run it with the same 670, i7 6770K and 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  

No idea what's up here, anyone else? 

Any comments are appreciated.

1 minute ago, Narigaur said:

Your CPU is out of the question. Upgrade your GPU.

I'm upgrading to a GTX 1080.

It can't surely be a compatibility issue. I'm running a completely new system bar the GPU and getting unplayable frames. 

2 minutes ago, Narigaur said:

Turn down the settings, then.

Same result. Windowed mode and the lowest settings achieve 20 and below FPS. When originally with a lesser system, and the same GPU I was running Overwatch at 60 FPS on all maxed settings.

Sounds like it may be using the iGPU instead of the discrete GPU, check the BIOS to see which is set there, also check for BIOS update for mobo... and if that is already set there, maybe try a different driver version for the GPU.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

5 minutes ago, Podgy said:

Same result. Windowed mode and the lowest settings achieve 20 and below FPS. When originally with a lesser system, and the same GPU I was running Overwatch at 60 FPS on all maxed settings.

What driver version were you using before and what one are you using now?

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

1 minute ago, paddy-stone said:

Sounds like it may be using the iGPU instead of the discrete GPU, check the BIOS to see which is set there, also check for BIOS update for mobo... and if that is already set there, maybe try a different driver version for the GPU.

That's actually a really good shout. I'll check.

Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Podgy said:

In power management did you set the performance to high performance? 

8 minutes ago, Podgy said:

maybe windows messed up? did you reinstall the os?

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

1 minute ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

What driver version were you using before and what one are you using now?

I was using 365.19 which carrid over to the new install and was still creating the lag.

I then updated to 368.22, still persisted.  

4 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

maybe windows messed up? did you reinstall the os?

Same OS, just relocated the SSD to my new build.

5 minutes ago, Ronnie76 said:

In power management did you set the performance to high performance? 

I've activated that, no difference.

1 minute ago, Podgy said:

How did the suggestion by paddy go? Did you check the bios? 

My RIG:

CPU: Intel core i7 4790k     Motherboard: Msi krait edition z97      RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB      GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 8GB Gaming Black Edition     Case: Thermaltake core v71   Storage: Samsung 850 pro 256gb OS, WD green 2Tb, WD blue 500GB, WD blue 350gb, Segate barracuda 250gb      PSU: NZXT hale82 v2 700w     Cooling: Noctua nh-d15   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Hmm, check task manager and make sure that your CPU is running normally, and then check MSI Afterburner or EVGA PrecisionX and make sure your GPU is running at its full potential, also make sure your GPU doesn't have any dust or dirt in it since it is quite old 

1 hour ago, Podgy said:

Same OS, just relocated the SSD to my new build.

Actually I thinm you may have to do a "refresh" of windows... relocating your drive from your old system may have caused problems as your old system had it's own chipset drivers etc and the new system needs the correct ones. I'd try refreshing windows so that it takes everything off except windows itself, then install drivers etc it needs.

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Just checked the BIOS, I'm definitely using my 670.

6 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Actually I thinm you may have to do a "refresh" of windows... relocating your drive from your old system may have caused problems as your old system had it's own chipset drivers etc and the new system needs the correct ones. I'd try refreshing windows so that it takes everything off except windows itself, then install drivers etc it needs.

And that actually doesn't surprise me too much. In terms of doing that on Win10, is there an easy way? Or do I have to create a bootable USB like the old days?

7 minutes ago, Ronnie76 said:

Hmm, check task manager and make sure that your CPU is running normally, and then check MSI Afterburner or EVGA PrecisionX and make sure your GPU is running at its full potential, also make sure your GPU doesn't have any dust or dirt in it since it is quite old 

This is after 5 minutes of enduring 5FPS in Overwatch.. Haha:

https://gyazo.com/1ed1434aaad61aa74da633efaafa9c25

I cleaned the GPU before installation into the new system.

Just checked the BIOS, I'm definitely using my 670.

And that actually doesn't surprise me too much. I terms of doing that on Win10, is there an easy way? Or do I have to create a bootable USB like the old days?

I believe there should be an option within windows for refreshing it, keeps files and stuff but resets drivers and things. Try that.

If that fails, try a full reinstall from a bootable USB.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Just go into System>update and security>recovery and go to [reset this PC]

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Ah, that makes life a little easier.

I'll report back once that's complete and I've installed chipset drivers/gpu drivers etc.

Thanks for your time.

2 minutes ago, Podgy said:

This is after 5 minutes of enduring 5FPS in Overwatch.. Haha:

https://gyazo.com/1ed1434aaad61aa74da633efaafa9c25

It looks like the problem is resulting in your CPU, I'm sure you can see its only using aboutt 8% CPU usage where your GPU is maxed out. Just make sure this is enabled.

ceac316143.png

1 hour ago, Ronnie76 said:

It looks like the problem is resulting in your CPU, I'm sure you can see its only using aboutt 8% CPU usage where your GPU is maxed out. Just make sure this is enabled.

ceac316143.png

I did notice that, however the overall usage is 33%. And there wasn't all that much going on in the game.

I had the same thing happen to me.  I ended up just buying a $30 oem windows 10 key from Kinguine.com and doing a fresh install.  I'm pretty sure windows is locked by motherboard.