[H]ardOCP Editor Claims Internal Problems for AMD - Polaris Underwhelming and RTG Seeking to Leave AMD For Intel

HKZeroFive

I never believe articles like this. I'll wait till I see reviewers benchmarks on actual games.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

3 hours ago, SurvivorNVL said:

The FTC would never let Samsung buy them.  More like is Intel and nVidia splitting up AMD.  Apple, IBM, or Microsoft(god help us).  Apple would truly be limitless, and then they could patent troll with all of AMD's resources.

3 hours ago, Derangel said:

IBM wouldn't be able to find the capital required to buy AMD's CPU division and all of it's patents. Apple would be interesting as well.

I second what Derangel says. IBM gave its fabs, $1.5 billion, and several patents to Global Foundries last year because it couldn't afford to own it since they were losing so much money from their fabs. They literally had to pay GloFo to take them.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

3 hours ago, Derangel said:

IBM wouldn't be able to find the capital required to buy AMD's CPU division and all of it's patents. Apple would be interesting as well.

Then it'd likely be Apple for a full AMD buyout, or the dissolution.  Either way--it'd be fun and interesting.

6 minutes ago, SurvivorNVL said:

Then it'd likely be Apple for a full AMD buyout, or the dissolution.  Either way--it'd be fun and interesting.

Samsung might get involved too,  it's not like they can't afford it. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Samsung might get involved too,  it's not like they can't afford it. 

The FTC wouldn't let them.  They're a foreign company, and AMD has assets that have to remain strictly American owned.

The Nvidia GTX 1080 was overhyped by Jeen Hsun and it turned out to not be so "great" as he intended to make it be. Hopefully AMD upcoming gpu lineup and processor are the other way around, underhyped, but when the time comes, aceptable enough to be a challenge for Intel and Nvidia! :P

Groomlake Authority

Like many other have said, that article is Bullshit.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

11 hours ago, deviant88 said:

its not an article by @Zmeul i might be tempted to believe it, but then again too many fanboys and haters everywhere i only believe it when its official, seems to me like the desktop is going trough hard times, with MS windowsOS garbage and AMD not being able to recover and make any profits, also intel and nvidia delivering less and less bang for the buck with each gen

I saw this quite sooner and was tempted to post it - it's about 2 days old now

but then again ... mods would be at my throat, again, locking it up for inciting violence - so, I didn't

my take: [H] would not post stuff like this unless their sources are who they say they are - it's just a step from becoming WCCFShit like after posting this sort of stuff, if untrue ..

I'm betting [H] still wants their credibility

AMD showed Polaris way long ago, in January, if I recall - why isn't it launched?

the NDA for whatever goes down in Macau will be lifted at the end of the next month - that's a long time for a GPU to "mature"

there's also the stuff that "transpired" from AIB partners, as source claimed, that AMD has some issues with getting Polaris 10 above certain clocks

AMD blamed Intel, nVidia, BAPCo ... who are they gonna put the blame on for this one?

because I'm betting it won't be CEOs and other leadership personnel 

----

if Radeon Graphics splits from AMD:

RGD: weee, we're free! let's go to Intel

intel: so, you're telling us you're gonna give us all the patents?

RDG: YES! where do we sign?

Intel: here

RGD: signed! now, point us to our offices

Intel: well ... you see, YOU ARE ALL FIRED !

54 minutes ago, zMeul said:

but then again ... mods would be at my throat, again, locking it up for inciting violence - so, I didn't

my take: [H] would not post stuff like this unless their sources are who they say they are - it's just a step from becoming WCCFShit like after posting this sort of stuff, if untrue ..

AMD showed Polaris way long ago, in January, if I recall - why isn't it launched?

the NDA for whatever goes down in Macau will be lifted at the end of the next month - that's a long time for a GPU to "mature"

there's also the stuff that "transpired" from AIB partners, as source claimed, that AMD has some issues with getting Polaris 10 above certain clocks

AMD blamed Intel, nVidia, BAPCo ... who are they gonna put the blame on for this one?

----

Intel, you patent scrubbing scumbag :D

52 minutes ago, zMeul said:

----

We'll see what the truth is when the NDAs are up, but it'll be interesting to see how things unfold. As for AMD not releasing until now, I'm betting a lot of yield issues. That's something you want to work out for mid-range parts, especially if you're trying to heavily target laptops and want OEMs to jump on board right away.

i think i'm trowing a tanker full of gas into a forest fire posting this but it seems AMD has some shenanigans going on in their party in Macau...

Uhhhhhhhh...

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

13 minutes ago, AlexGoesHigh said:

i think i'm trowing a tanker full of gas into a forest fire posting this but it seems AMD has some shenanigans going on in their party in Macau...

Uhhhhhhhh...

hope linus isn't missing out on the fun.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

17 hours ago, Thiback said:

Either way, if this is true I am not surprised that it doens't perform GREAT against high end Nvidia Pascal GPUs since this is supposed to be a mainstream release. I am just concerned about the fact it is underwhelming on the temperature side. This has been a recurring problem with the past Radeon generations, and I'd have thought they would have fixed it with that new energy efficient architecture.

You're aware that the 1080 thermal throttles to stock while gaming right?

16 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Well, 1080 throttles due to both being on a reference cooler which always throttles any card and it has a single 8-pin so if it isn't throttling due to heat it's because it's at its peak power.

I have a r9 280x, a HD 7990 which are both overclocked as well as a r9 270x on another machine and they're all stock cards, overclocked, not by much mind you, AMD has never been good at this but still. Hell my 7990 is at 1100/1500(950/1500 at stock) mhz downvolted to 1125 mV (1200 mV at stock)

i only read the firs 3 quarters of the OP and it all sounds like BS to me. AMD would be idiots not to realize Nvidia had something new brewing. is it better, nobody really knows for sure. But if it doesn't throttle like the 1080 throttles because of temps ( shame on nvidia for that one ) it's a winner regardless if it's faster than the 1080 or not. And i bet it's going to be cheaper too. so have fun over paying before the dust settles. Lets wait and see. Posts like this really frost my balls.

Writing an article like this is a little like shooting yourself in the foot. If the writer was a huge source with millions of readers and lots of credibility, they might be worried about getting nailed for personal/business defamation, especially if the article hurt AMD's finances or market confidence in some way, and especially if the writer has a reason to retaliate. Generally in the case of business defamation, if is damaging and it went to court (this won't, it's lol-worthy) the author of the "published" article would have to reveal their sources if they insisted what they said was true. If they can't reveal sources, they are probably guilty. if they back-peddle and say the article was made up, they are probably guilty. The problem is that by writing such an article and not getting any response from AMD, it makes the writer look like they are a nobody and not credible. In the end, the only one who loses is Kyle, no matter what happens. Even if the article is entirely true, AMD PR and Intel PR would spin it in such a way to make it look great, and most people would love it.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

Writing an article like this is a little like shooting yourself in the foot. If the writer was a huge source with millions of readers and lots of credibility, they might be worried about getting nailed for personal/business defamation, especially if the article hurt AMD's finances or market confidence in some way, and especially if the writer has a reason to retaliate. Generally in the case of business defamation, if is damaging and it went to court (this won't, it's lol-worthy) the author of the "published" article would have to reveal their sources if they insisted what they said was true. If they can't reveal sources, they are probably guilty. if they back-peddle and say the article was made up, they are probably guilty. The problem is that by writing such an article and not getting any response from AMD, it makes the writer look like they are a nobody and not credible. In the end, the only one who loses is Kyle, no matter what happens. Even if the article is entirely true, AMD PR and Intel PR would spin it in such a way to make it look great, and most people would love it.

He's technically a journalist and would be protected under the same laws as any journalist. So unless I understand how it works wrong he can't be compelled to reveal his sources.

5 hours ago, AlexGoesHigh said:

Uhhhhhhhh...

Not a goddamn care in the world. What happens in Macau stays in Macau

11 hours ago, AlexGoesHigh said:

Uhhhhhhhh...

WAT

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

4 minutes ago, Agost said:

WAT

Oh boy, you haven't seen anything yet.

thCSaDS.gif

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

3 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Oh boy, you haven't seen anything yet.

thCSaDS.gif

No money for GPUs, but plenty for parties 

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

3 minutes ago, Agost said:

No money for GPUs, but plenty for parties 

Priorities set straight.

But let's be honest, I'd rather party :D

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

More news from Macau from a member of the press.

Also

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Dancing T-rex.

Now I've seen everything.

And from that first tweet it looks like good stuff is being announced.

Ye ole' train

Is Linus in Macau?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

13 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

More news from Macau from a member of the press.

Also

I'm not sure how to interpret this. Either things are going really well or everything's gone to shit. 

Either way, will be fun to find out once NDAs are lifted.