[H]ardOCP Editor Claims Internal Problems for AMD - Polaris Underwhelming and RTG Seeking to Leave AMD For Intel

HKZeroFive
1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

Actually ATi probably didn't choose a relationship with AMD, but had to whore itself out to a millionaire who offered a lot of cash to marry him. She's now trapped with an abusive husband that beats the crap out of her on a daily basis. Shitting the bed would actually be a reasonable tactic to hope the disgust leads AMD to accept a fucking divorce.

Defaq are you talking about?

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

3 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Do yourself a favor and read last year's articles. They've been saying that Polaris is high end laptop and mid-range desktop since day one. Vega is the replacement for the Fury line-up. It's evident even by the simplest of things such as die size.

As for the Nano - it was a hard-enforced temp limit that keeps it at 75*C or below - once you put a block on it it works fine at nominal speeds.

So? Still means they don't compete because they can't but they pretend it's an strategic choice instead of one forced upon them by circumstance and lack of engineering.

Oh no wait, it's just Nvidia sabotaging them with Gameworks that must be it!

-------

Current Rig

-------

4 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

So? Still means they don't compete because they can't but they pretend it's an strategic choice instead of one forced upon them by circumstance and lack of engineering.

They ARE competing - with Vega - later this year. They are launching the mid range cards first.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

2 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Why is something so simple, so difficult for you to understand?

Polaris = mainstream + performance

Vega = high performance + ultra enthusiast

It's really not that difficult to understand. It's been like this since day one. Not only has AMD not changes this statement for a full year, they have even been on target for release of Polaris this whole time. The only thing that could be different is the release of Vega a few months earlier.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

12 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Actually ATi probably didn't choose a relationship with AMD, but had to whore itself out to a millionaire who offered a lot of cash to marry him. She's now trapped with an abusive husband that beats the crap out of her on a daily basis. Shitting the bed would actually be a reasonable tactic to hope the disgust leads AMD to accept a fucking divorce.

Shitting the bed will only result in more beating. The abuser usually isn't the one who breaks thing off.

10 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I don't see your logic.

AMD target the higher volume market for a ton of different reasons.

How do you know it was a lack of engineering? So far polaris seems to show more improvement than pascal from an architectural perspective from their predecessor.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

3 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

Seems like a PR stunt honestly. This should be under NDA aka this guy should get sued hard for leaking such info and since no action is being taken I'd imagine it's false.

Only if he signed an NDA, they can't sue him for breaching a contract he never signed. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

No. Single 8-pin is enough. It is actually thermal throttling. Proof -> watch newest JayzTwoCents video.

Put it under water, do it again.

Ye ole' train

This time, if this guy is wrong, (as usual) I hope AMD takes them to court on slander as this kind of shit is getting the fuck old.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

its probably not all made up. There's probably some truth to this, he just exaggerated whatever he heard big time. Probably 1 or 2 ex-employees said something like that and he went and wrote this story saying its all of AMD.

No one was surprised by the 1080 and 1070, so how could AMD possibly be? This is all probably a lot of lies and some truths mixed together.... nothing to worry about cuz you don't know which is which....

I have no signature

26 minutes ago, Tomsen said:

Shitting the bed will only result in more beating. The abuser usually isn't the one who breaks thing off.

I don't see your logic.

AMD target the higher volume market for a ton of different reasons.

How do you know it was a lack of engineering? So far polaris seems to show more improvement than pascal from an architectural perspective from their predecessor.

How can you NOT see this as a major factor in their decision making? Saying you can't compete in the high end product market doesn't looks good. Saying you conveniently don't want to now that you couldn't even if you wanted to looks better in PR. Of course AMD is not going to admit "Look we're completely fucking broke here, we can't make a high end part that actually gives us little return anymore, we've gotta stay alive so we're only going to make low end parts from now on"

People hear "low end" and "mid range" and think it sucks. It's the same way you sell cars: you spend billions on the ultra high performance cars nobody get because people associate the high end brands and high end cars with good engineering. If you make only crap economy cars, even if they are comparable to the major companies entry level cars, you're still not going to move them.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

How can you NOT see this as a major factor in their decision making? Saying you can't compete in the high end product market doesn't looks good. Saying you conveniently don't want to know that you couldn't even if you wanted to looks better in PR. Of course AMD is not going to admit "Look we're completely fucking broke here, we can't make a high end part that actually gives us little return anymore, we've gotta stay alive so we're only going to make low end parts from now on"

People hear "low end" and "mid range" and think it sucks. It's the same way you sell cars: you spend billions on the ultra high performance cars nobody gets because people associate the high end brands and high end cars with good engineering. If you make only crap economy cars, even if they are comparable to the major companies entry level cars, you're still not going to move them.

Erm - you are still ignoring Vega - the one they are marketing as "Enthusiast-grade" and "Top-class".

13 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Put it under water, do it again.

You most likely wont see any difference even under water. LN2 will be requiring aditional 6 or 8-pin though.

We will see how well it OCs after there will be cards with more than single 8-pin.

8-pin can actualy handle a lot of power.

75W from the PCI-e and single 8-pin can handle well over 200W.

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

Erm - you are still ignoring Vega - the one they are marketing as "Enthusiast-grade" and "Top-class".

I am not ignoring it I am implying that is late for a reason: engineering problems. Nvidia just jumped ahead of them in tech again, even if it's a few months it's significant since by the time Vega rolls around they'll be ready with full pascal so again, AMD will launch behind the times by months.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 hours ago, WereCat said:

No. Single 8-pin is enough. It is actually thermal throttling. Proof -> watch newest JayzTwoCents video.

in that video he shows that is throttles due to heat AND power.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

I am not ignoring it I am implying that is late for a reason: engineering problems. Nvidia just jumped ahead of them in tech again, even if it's a few months it's significant since by the time Vega rolls around they'll be ready with full pascal so again, AMD will launch behind the times by months.

You do realise that Pascal is almost the same as Maxwell but with high clocks, right? Not to mention GP100 is not coming to the desktop market and the promised 16GB HBM2 is never happening with Pascal. Face it, Pascal will get demolished in a few months time.

Oh this article is such horseshit. Guy is salty, let him drown in it.

3 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

You do realise that Pascal is almost the same as Maxwell but with high clocks, right? Not to mention GP100 is not coming to the desktop market and the promised 16GB HBM2 is never happening with Pascal. Face it, Pascal will get demolished in a few months time.

And in paper Hawaii was also vastly superior to Kepler too yet didn't really make a huge different in sales. I can concede that AMD can make powerful hardware at times, yet it's basically for nothing since they just can't get there in software optimization. If you wanted a gaming card for bitcoin farming then the 290x was clearly superior. But put it for it's intended purpose, games, meh it was comparable and not worth the trouble.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

And in paper Hawaii was also vastly superior to Kepler too yet didn't really make a huge different in sales. I can concede that AMD can make powerful hardware at times, yet it's basically for nothing since they just can't get there in software optimization. If you wanted a gaming card for bitcoin farming then the 290x was clearly superior. But put it for it's intended purpose, games, meh it was comparable and not worth the trouble.

Do revisit the 290X vs 780 Ti now. You'll quickly see the 290X is over 20% ahead if you bench them in modern games.

The tone of this article makes hard to near impossible for me not to question it. I mean the writer makes it obvious that he has a grudge against AMD. So as per usual:

rs3n3FU.jpeg

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

5 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Do revisit the 290X vs 780 Ti now. 

Now that they're irrelevant, now that AMD had years to finally get some fucking software optimization, now that Nvidia doesn't even care since they're 2 generations after Kepler.

Why? That's the basis of my argument: the market is moving faster than AMD's ability to respond. Your argument is "wait for Vega" you know what? I waited for Fiji only to see it fucking flop, what's gonna be different this time? HBM2? Fiji had that with HBM, didn't really help. Smaller node? Nvidia shrunk as well. There's just nothing in recent memory to assume Vega won't flop too.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Now that they're irrelevant, now that AMD had years to finally get some fucking software optimization, now that Nvidia doesn't even care since they're 2 generations after Kepler.

Why? That's the basis of my argument: the market is moving faster than AMD's ability to respond. Your argument is "wait for Vega" you know what? I waited for Fiji only to see it fucking flop, what's gonna be different this time? HBM2? Fiji had that, didn't really help. Smaller node? Nvidia shrunk as well. There's just nothing in recent memory to assume Vega won't flop too.

Fiji didnt have HBM2

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

As with most big rumors like this, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. If he's hearing it from former employees and other sources insides and outside of AMD than some of it is going to get overblown. That said, let's be honest here folks. Would ANY of this actually surprise you? Ignore potential biases and think rationally for a moment. AMD having management issues is nothing new. AMD flat out lying is nothing new. AMD pulling bullshit in regards to PR is nothing new. Looking back at a lot of the press around RTG and how AMD handled it, some of this does seem potentially likely. At this point, the CPU division is crashing the company. Management decisions and budget issues prevent the GPU division from really pushing away and forming it's own identity. While drivers have improved, it's no secret that that the driver team has simply been a mess for years. Likely severely underfunded and overworked. Stupid decisions by people in charge have obliterated AMD's GPU market share the last few years, especially due to the lack DX11 performance of their cards and the insane decision to only release three new cards and simply rebrand the rest of the line up. So RTG wanting to get the fuck away from the decisions of people that seem hellbent on sinking the company would not really be some Earth shattering revelation, nor is the claim of there being tons of other problems within AMD.

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Fiji didnt have HBM2

Yeah I meant to say it had HBM I edited that in probably after your quote, sorry.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Why? That's the basis of my argument: the market is moving faster than AMD's ability to respond. Your argument is "wait for Vega" you know what? I waited for Fiji only to see it fucking flop, what's gonna be different this time? HBM2? Fiji had that with HBM, didn't really help. Smaller node? Nvidia shrunk as well. There's just nothing in recent memory to assume Vega won't flop too.

Fiji? Flop? I beg to differ - check DX12 benches, it's above the 980 Ti/Titan X

11 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

in that video he shows that is throttles due to heat AND power.

He got over 1900MHz on the Founders card and he couldnt go higher because of thermals and almost 2100MHz on the EVGA card with the reference PCB with DEFAULT voltage. Now I know that the voltage changes thanks to GPU Boost but this was on default BIOS as well. You can most likely push this even further with custom BIOS on the reference card with custom cooler.