Even in USA the 1080 is 50% more expensive than 980 was at launch

whitedragon101

The around the world prices are masking the worst part of this so lets stick to USA prices.

A GTX 980 was $469 at launch 

A GTX 1080 is $699 at launch 

Thats a 49% increase !!!!

Imagine if Apple/Samsung said their new flagship phone cost 49% more than the last one.  People would lose their ***  .  This is just a huge money grab.

well nvidia doesnt have serious competition. Thats usally what hapens with a monopoly

Strix Gaming 1080 will be available June 4 for $620 USD, and a lot of 980's did sell above MSRP iirc, so there's hardly a gap, if any considering the price of some of the custom 980's.

Nvidia are just harvesting the cream up front with the FE, selling to those that want it first despite inferior cooling, power delivery, and where money isn't a problem.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

the 1080 is 25% more powerful then the Titan X, usually new phones aren't 25% more powerful then the worlds most powerful phones.

It's because AMD is delaying their enthusiast/high-end solution to late 2016/early 2017

The 980 launched in competition with the 290X

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

1 minute ago, partypanda64 said:

the 1080 is 25% more powerful then the Titan X, usually new phones aren't 25% more powerful then the worlds most powerful phones.

also they need to make up the ridiculus amount of money they spent on R&D

8 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

LOL what? GTX 980 was $550 at launch in the US.

Just double checked.  Yep $550 was the MRSP at launch which would be a 22% $149 increase (still crazy).  

I based this figure from using google time search and in the month it launched reference cards were actually selling in the USA for $469 vs now where they are actually selling at $699. 

HOLY SHIT!

who could of seen that coming!!!

NVIDIA-GTX-1080-2.jpg

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

1 minute ago, whitedragon101 said:

Just double checked.  Yep $550 was the MRSP at launch which would be a 22% increase.  

I based this figure from using google time search and in the month it launched reference cards were actually selling in the USA for $469 vs now where they are actually selling at $699. 

No one sold 980s for $469 in the US at launch. If they did there would have been huge threads about it here. 

2 minutes ago, whitedragon101 said:

Just double checked.  Yep $550 was the MRSP at launch which would be a 22% $149 increase (still crazy).  

$699 is only for the founder's edition, which Nvidia purposely priced that way on purpose to prevent people for buying reference cards unless they need them for specific cases, otherwise aftermarket cards are $599, only a $49 increase over the 980

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

People need to just not buy it. Get a 980 Ti and overclock it, or get a Fury/X/Nano, or wait for Polaris or Vega. Nvidia aren't public sector. If they aren't shifting units they'll have no choice but to charge a more reasonable price.

29 minutes ago, whitedragon101 said:

The GTX 980 launched at $549.

I paid $619 for my 1080.

I'm no math wiz, but I'm pretty sure that's not 50% more.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

asus strix is $620, so I guess it's going to be 800 CAD if the conversion is right ...

Blame the stupid idiots who buys the Scam Edition GTX1080 way too soon than the speed of light.

Those idiots will gladly pay the full price.

When will people fucking see this they have to stop buying GPU's at ridicolous high prices?!

Probably never.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

1 hour ago, valdyrgramr said:

Phones are overpriced at launch.  I don't understand the point of a phone being 500+ bucks.  It's a phone.  -.-   Anyways, I think the point of the GPU being that much is the performance difference.

You have to factor in paying the employees a decent living salary, marketing (lots of it), and for the research and development of the phone.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Monopoly is fantastic /s

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Honestly just forget the 1080 even exists, us Brits are going to be paying 906 dollars after exchange rate applied for teh same product, that's really shitty buisiness IMO, and i'm actually thinking of going AMD of they produce a good card with Polaris.

let us all remember now and today, computers do not like abuse, they will fight back!

Old Skool KILLBOX. XEON E5640 4.0ghz / ASUS P6X58D-E ~ Noctua NH-L12 ~ eVGA GTX 670 SC 2GB 1312/7000 ~ 4TB 7200 RPM RAID0 ~ CoolerMaster Haf 922 ~ DELL P214H 23" 1080 IPS 2ms ~ HP w2007v 1680x1050. Now Playing: Splinter Cell OG XBOX / CSGO PC

Original XBOX - Xecuter 2 4981.67 Bios. Playstation 2 Slim SCPH-70002. Sega Dreamcast. N64

1 hour ago, whitedragon101 said:

The around the world prices are masking the worst part of this so lets stick to USA prices.

A GTX 1080 is $699 at launch 

Thats a 49% increase !!!!

Imagine if Apple/Samsung said their new flagship phone cost 49% more than the last one.  People would lose their ***  .  This is just a huge money grab.

You are completely wrong all the way around....

The 980 launched at $550, and the 1080 is technically launching at 600 (MSRP is all that you can compare, both were selling well above msrp for a few days within launch so yea).

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review/7

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 hour ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

No one sold 980s for $469 in the US at launch. If they did there would have been huge threads about it here. 

Yea dude is bullshiting like crazy. Custom 980s were selling as high as 700 dollars for a while there.

EDIT: For the record, I do think it is overpriced for the next gen gpu. But it isn't anything out of the realms of possibility and if I blame anyone its AMD for not turning up for legitimate competition.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 hour ago, othertomperson said:

People need to just not buy it. Get a 980 Ti and overclock it, or get a Fury/X/Nano, or wait for Polaris or Vega. Nvidia aren't public sector. If they aren't shifting units they'll have no choice but to charge a more reasonable price.

this, I would have pulled the trigger and bought one, but not at this price, I'm waiting.

30 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

EDIT: For the record, I do think it is overpriced for the next gen gpu. But it isn't anything out of the realms of possibility and if I blame anyone its AMD for not turning up for legitimate competition.

You're asserting that Polaris is not competitive before it's even released. Before you know anything about it. AMD do compete with Nvidia at every price point. The 380/960 are about the same. The 970/390 are about the same. The 390X/980 are about the same. The 980 Ti and Fury X are maybe not "about the same", but they are very close to eachother. The 380X, Fury and R9 Nano also occupy niches that are absent in Nvidia's lineup.

I find it weird that people seem to hear "AMD are not competitive" with respect to their CPUs and Intel (which is absolutely true) and just assume that the same must also be true of their GPUs when even a cursory google search of some benchmarks would revel it as bullshit.

8 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

You're asserting that Polaris is not competitive before it's even released. Before you know anything about it. AMD do compete with Nvidia at every price point. The 380/960 are about the same. The 970/390 are about the same. The 390X/980 are about the same. The 980 Ti and Fury X are maybe not "about the same", but they are very close to eachother. The 380X, Fury and R9 Nano also occupy niches that are absent in Nvidia's lineup.

I find it weird that people seem to hear "AMD are not competitive" with respect to their CPUs and Intel (which is absolutely true) and just assume that the same must also be true of their GPUs when even a cursory google search of some benchmarks would revel it as bullshit.

Really because AMD hasn't come out at all and straight up said they weren't going to compete with the 1080....

Oh wait... They did just that...

"The reason Polaris is a big deal, is because I believe we will be able to grow that TAM [total addressable market] significantly," said Taylor. "I don't think Nvidia is going to do anything to increase the TAM, because according to everything we've seen around Pascal, it's a high-end part. I don't know what the price is gonna be, but let's say it's as low as £500/$600 and as high as £800/$1000. That price range is not going to expand the TAM for VR. We're going on the record right now to say Polaris will expand the TAM. Full stop."

This is straight from AMD, 100% stating neither Polaris chip is competitive with the 1080... Maybe they will compete with the 1070. And maybe Vega will be great, but for now, it's chasing the ball.

http://videocardz.com/59248/amd-officially-confirms-polaris-10-and-polaris-11-market-positioning

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/04/amd-polaris-will-be-a-mainstream-gpu/

Good job presuming I'm an idiot...

Also:

The 380/960 are about the same. NOPE 380 is always better... (minus doom)

The 970/390 are about the same. NOPE 390 is always better... (minus doom)

The 390X/980 are about the same. Ehh only at resolutions neither can push.... 980 wrecks house otherwise.

Don't even need to start talking about GM200 vs Fiji... Rofl...

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Really because AMD hasn't come out at all and straight up said they weren't going to compete with the 1080.... /s

I'm not presuming you're an idiot. You are one. AMD didn't say they weren't competing with the 1080, they said they were targeting the mainstream. You are making the assertion that GP104 and GM104 are high tier chips and not mainstream. This is highly debatable. It is more sensible to interpret it as them saying that they aren't going to be replacing the Fury or competing with the 1080 Ti until Vega.

And the 380 is better than the 960 in games that favour AMD, while the 960 does better in games that favour Nvidia. Same for the 390 and 390X. Same for GM200 and Fiji, or have you forgotten Ashes of the Singularity which massively favours AMD even in Direcx11, let alone 12? Rofl.