AMD Polaris Tech Day is Today

Source: http://videocardz.com/60373/amd-polaris-tech-day-nda-ends-on-june-29th

AMD Polaris Tech Day is about to start soon. Editors who are already in Macau are enjoying their trip to ‘Las Vegas of Asia’. Thanks to Daeguen Lee’s Liveblog we get to see some interesting stuff.

Above you can see the NDA paper that reviewers are told to sign as they arrive. The date expires on 29th June, which many of you will find strange. However this is exactly what we were expecting. Official ‘hard launch’ of Polaris GPUs was planned for early July. This date indicated that on Wendensday June 29th we might be seeing first reviews of Polaris graphics cards. At worst this would mean AMD will allow reviewers to release more information about Polaris architecture, however since this is almost a month after June 1st event, then actual GPU reviews are more likely to be the case.

I had not heard of this, and I don't think any of you have either. I have only heard one mention of it, which was from Kyle from Awesomesauce Network who stated at the beginning of the last season of Booted that he is going to an AMD event in China before going to Computex. It seems that the Polaris NDA for reviewers will be ending on June 29th, and so most likely Polaris will be launched in July. This is quite a bit after Pascal, though AMD will probably have a full lineup including the low end, contrary to Nvidia who is only launching the 1070 and 1080.

I'll keep this thread updated with new information if it does come out. This was a surprise and I had no idea about it before today, though I am doubtful we will learn too much considering there seem to be NDAs involved.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

6 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Source: http://videocardz.com/60373/amd-polaris-tech-day-nda-ends-on-june-29th

I had not heard of this, and I don't think any of you have either. I have only heard one mention of it, which was from Kyle from Awesomesauce Network who stated at the beginning of the last season of Booted that he is going to an AMD event in China before going to Computex. It seems that the Polaris NDA for reviewers will be ending on June 29th, and so most likely Polaris will be launched in July. This is quite a bit after Pascal, though AMD will probably have a full lineup including the low end, contrary to Nvidia who is only launching the 1070 and 1080.

I'll keep this thread updated with new information if it does come out. This was a surprise and I had no idea about it before today, though I am doubtful we will learn too much considering there seem to be NDAs involved.

Remember the AMD Computex thread that said they were going to have their own conference right before it, this is what that is about.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Come on, they have to show something to the public.  If they're not even going to make any public announcements or anything then I'm out.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

5 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Linus made a post two hours ago about it on Facebook, I was lucky I caught it myself.

https://www.facebook.com/LinusTech

i was just about to say didnt linus go on a trip to china

1 minute ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Come on, they have to show something to the public.  If they're not even going to make any public announcements or anything then I'm out.

A full month more of silenzio stampa while everyone drools over 1080s? Especially as the rumor of Vega in the fall seems hard to imagine. 

So its not gonna be streamed on twitch ? :(

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

2 minutes ago, Thony said:

So its not gonna be streamed on twitch ? :(

nope. Though the one at computex will be (it might not be twitch but it will be streamed)

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

13 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

They could be showing off Polaris, Vega, Zen, and Bristol Ridge.

My assumption is that Vega and Zen would be the main NDA'd information while they are briefing the press on what to hype for Polaris and Bristol Ridge at Computex.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

57 minutes ago, TheMissxu said:

My assumption is that Vega and Zen would be the main NDA'd information while they are briefing the press on what to hype for Polaris and Bristol Ridge at Computex.

I hope. What fail if Polaris doesn't launch in time to try to compete with the 1070.

1 hour ago, TheMissxu said:

While it could be a smoke screen, it seems a bit odd to have a "Polaris Tech Day", which I'm going to assume is held by RTG and then do a large reveal and show case of all upcoming products, including CPU products. 

I'm quite sure it's a deep dive on Polaris and possibly show off some products as well as show it in action (or anything in this ball park). 

Papermaster from AMD said Polaris would be mainstream AND performance. Vega will be ultra enthusiast.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

20 minutes ago, Notional said:

Papermaster from AMD said Polaris would be mainstream AND performance. Vega will be ultra enthusiast.

Sounds more like Polaris will be epic fail if they can't get it out until July.

Just now, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Sounds more like Polaris will be epic fail if they can't get it out until July.

How so? It will beat 1050, 1060 and 1070 to the market with same/better performance.

1080 being so extremely overpriced, it's not going to move a lot of cards. Especially since people who can afford it, knows Vega is on the way this year and 1080ti either being january or earlier if it will only have gddr5x instead of HBM2 like Vega.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Well, I'm going to assume that that the "late" launch is to do a full launch of all products without shortages, whereas Nvidia is a doing a staggered launch and is obviously having a limited supply hence the 1080 launching first and not only that: as a founder's edition with premium pricing if you want dibs. 

Ah come on AMD ! I don't want to wait until july !

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

16 minutes ago, Notional said:

How so? It will beat 1050, 1060 and 1070 to the market with same/better performance.

1080 being so extremely overpriced, it's not going to move a lot of cards. Especially since people who can afford it, knows Vega is on the way this year and 1080ti either being january or earlier if it will only have gddr5x instead of HBM2 like Vega.

The 1070 comes up for sale in exactly two weeks, at which time AMD is going to have to slash prices on everything. If it's taking this long for them to get their cards out you can't help but think there is some fire behind the smoke we have been seeing about them having trouble with their clockspeeds. I was expecting a real response from them, maybe even a hard launch on June 1st at their Computex presentation. I think a July launch will be devastating for them. They need Polaris out ASAP before they have to compete with GP106 in the midrange, they needed a reason to make people not want to jump on the GTX 1070.

2 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

The 1070 comes up for sale in exactly two weeks, at which time AMD is going to have to slash prices on everything. If it's taking this long for them to get their cards out you can't help but think there is some fire behind the smoke we have been seeing about them having trouble with their clockspeeds. I was expecting a real response from them, maybe even a hard launch on June 1st at their Computex presentation. I think a July launch will be devastating for them. They need Polaris out ASAP before they have to compete with GP106 in the midrange, they needed a reason to make people not want to jump on the GTX 1070.

Why would they slash prices? We don't know the performance nor the prices yet, so your comment makes no sense.

Polaris is on it's planned schedule, so idk what you mean by fire. The leaked image is of little use, as all the 2-3 cards ran at exactly the same frequency, which never happens on different models of chips. Polaris should at least be 1500 MHz out the box.

No I see it the other way around. Papermaster seemed unimpressed by Pascal, essentially calling it just a frequency boost from lower node. And he is right about that. Pascal being a modded version of Maxwell, it offers little to no IPC improvements. Most of the performance comes from huge boost in clock speed, and smaller transistors, meaning they can have more cores on a smaller chip.

Polaris/vega is a completely new architecture with IPC improvements (remember AMD already beats the crap out of NVidia in DX12 titles), and should have a similar boost in clock (although not as clock fixated).

I think NVidia rushed these cards and started with their high-midend card, to ensure a high sales rate before AMD's stuff launches.

6 minutes ago, Notional said:

Why would they slash prices? We don't know the performance nor the prices yet, so your comment makes no sense.

Polaris is on it's planned schedule, so idk what you mean by fire. The leaked image is of little use, as all the 2-3 cards ran at exactly the same frequency, which never happens on different models of chips. Polaris should at least be 1500 MHz out the box.

No I see it the other way around. Papermaster seemed unimpressed by Pascal, essentially calling it just a frequency boost from lower node. And he is right about that. Pascal being a modded version of Maxwell, it offers little to no IPC improvements. Most of the performance comes from huge boost in clock speed, and smaller transistors, meaning they can have more cores on a smaller chip.

Polaris/vega is a completely new architecture with IPC improvements (remember AMD already beats the crap out of NVidia in DX12 titles), and should have a similar boost in clock (although not as clock fixated).

I think NVidia rushed these cards and started with their high-midend card, to ensure a high sales rate before AMD's stuff launches.

AMD doesn't beat the crap out of Nvidia anymore in DX12. AMD beat Maxwell in DX12. If AMD could put something out within 10-15% of the 1070, eg around R9 Fury performance like in the leaked benchmark, that could kill a lot of the enthusiasm for the GTX 1070. Instead the GTX 1070 is going to sell like crazy while AMD is standing there with no answer for at bare minimum 3 weeks if the reviews can't even come out until the end of June.

2 hours ago, SurvivorNVL said:

I hope it isn't Polaris.  Just show us Zen.

No. Zen isn't due yet for another 6 or so months, why can't they do both?

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

37 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Ah come on AMD ! I don't want to wait until july !

Well I don't really want to wait until July to find out if Polaris will suck. I'm fine waiting past July because it seems that I'll be building my PC later in the summer or early fall...

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

7 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

AMD doesn't beat the crap out of Nvidia anymore in DX12. AMD beat Maxwell in DX12. If AMD could put something out within 10-15% of the 1070, eg around R9 Fury performance like in the leaked benchmark, that could kill a lot of the enthusiasm for the GTX 1070. Instead the GTX 1070 is going to sell like crazy while AMD is standing there with no answer for at bare minimum 3 weeks if the reviews can't even come out until the end of June.

Like I said Pascal is just a modded Maxwell. It still cannot do concurrent async compute, so it still vastly underperforms when that is utilized.

3 weeks means little in the long run. Not everyone has the money or need to buy a new card the second it comes out.

8 minutes ago, Notional said:

Like I said Pascal is just a modded Maxwell.

This benchmark shows the 1080 having a bigger delta in performance vs the Titan X in DX12 games than it does in DX11 games, so that claim that it's Maxwell shrunk sounds pretty dubious.