GTX 1080 - UK members, we're getting SCREWED... AGAIN!!!

lol UK people complaining u have nothing on us aussies we gonna get fucked royally . amazon it is (waiting for a water cooled edition)

Only thing I am confused about is how MSI are charging £650 for their cooler whilst not as popular brand such as Inno3D are offering higher base boost clocks for nearly £100 less.

38 minutes ago, Enderman said:

I'm surprised its actually the exact USD price here in canada...

Yea it's amazing we are paying the exact conversion without anything else.

But you still pay up to 13% tax if you live in Manitoba or Ontario, though

CPU: Ryzen 2 2700@ 4.0Ghz    Mobo: Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 Wifi    Cooler: EVGA CLC 240    GPU: GTX1080 FTW DT @ 2113Mhz   PSU: EVGA 750W P2   

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C   Displays: 34" LG34UC79G, 24" Dell

1 hour ago, Deli said:

Where a Billionaire is about to become the next President. xD

Yeah can't win em all... If that does happen Canada is about to grow quite quickly lol 

• CPUi5-4460
  • MotherboardAsus ROG Maximus VII Hero
  • RAMG. Skills Ripjaws 4x4
  • GPUXFX Radeon R9 280 Black
  • CaseNZXT Noctis 450
  • Storage120 GB Kingston SSD; 1TB HDD
  • PSUCorsair HX 850 GOLD
  • Display(s)LG 34UC97
  • CoolingCooler Master V8 GTS
  • KeyboardRazer Blackwidow
  • MouseMad Catz R.A.T. 7
  • Operating SystemWin 10

2 hours ago, Mrhappyjolly said:

-snip-

It's illegal to bypass VAT.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

3 hours ago, Tech Deals said:

It is $699 USD...

It doesn't translate to GBP that way...  Taxes, duties, and cost of doing business all add up...  And of course a smaller market and there you go...

all valid points, but nothing in this thread has made me think hmm...  with tax and duty paying £172 more for a product is FAIR. Yeah I do feel bad for people in other countries too, my point is, we're supposed to me in a globally competitive marketplace,  or so we're told by various governments. I am amazed at the amount of defense for UK pricing there is in this thread if I'm honest.... 

an MSRP of $699 isn't £649!!! Basically all that's happening is changing the currency sign. It's a lazy way of ripping local markets off - and yes, exchange rate does matter.

3 hours ago, RNGesusHatesMe said:

lol UK people complaining u have nothing on us aussies we gonna get fucked royally . amazon it is (waiting for a water cooled edition)

I'm talking about ALL of us, using the UK (where I live) as an example. I feel your pain.

9 minutes ago, Mrhappyjolly said:

all valid points, but nothing in this thread has made me think hmm...  with tax and duty paying £172 more for a product is FAIR. Yeah I do feel bad for people in other countries too, my point is, we're supposed to me in a globally competitive marketplace,  or so we're told by various governments. I am amazed at the amount of defense for UK pricing there is in this thread if I'm honest.... 

an MSRP of $699 isn't £649!!! Basically all that's happening is changing the currency sign. It's a lazy way of ripping local markets off - and yes, exchange rate does matter.

Keep in mind that you have more social services than the US does, such as universal health care.  We have 30 million uninsured people and tens of millions more who have "insurance" that doesn't cover all that much.

2 minutes ago, Tech Deals said:

Keep in mind that you have more social services than the US does, such as universal health care.  We have 30 million uninsured people and tens of millions more who have "insurance" that doesn't cover all that much.

Sorry but I think that's missing the point, I already pay for that with 

Tax on my salary, National Insurance contributions on my salary, VAT on everything that I buy. Tax on insurance, Tax on my savings, council tax, need I go on? I would also happily pay tax on this card too, as I would anyway, but not at the inflated UK price. 

4 minutes ago, Mrhappyjolly said:

Tax on my salary, National Insurance contributions on my salary, VAT on everything that I buy. Tax on insurance, Tax on my savings, council tax, need I go on? I would also happily pay tax on this card too, as I would anyway, but not at the inflated UK price. 

I skimmed through quickly.  I did not read every post.

Just be happy in the fact that you won't be buying this gimped card.  Wait for the cards with good coolers.  Think, all the people running out to buy this crap version of the card and paying an extra $100.

Wait... for the cheaper and better versions to be released.

lol if you think here is bad you should look at kangaroo land and brazil.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

41 minutes ago, Mrhappyjolly said:

I wasn't making a judgement...  I don't know enough about the UK's tax laws to really say if that is the cause or not, I was simply pointing out one factor...

It is never as simple as "one thing", be it import duties, taxes, etc.  Maybe some of it is profit margin from NVidia, but then let me ask you this...  Is NVidia the only one who does it, or does it seem to be "everyone" charging more?

My wife is from Australia and they have the same problem, everything costs 30% more than it does in the US.  The reasons why vary all over the place.

15 minutes ago, Tech Deals said:

I wasn't making a judgement...  I don't know enough about the UK's tax laws to really say if that is the cause or not, I was simply pointing out one factor...

It is never as simple as "one thing", be it import duties, taxes, etc.  Maybe some of it is profit margin from NVidia, but then let me ask you this...  Is NVidia the only one who does it, or does it seem to be "everyone" charging more?

My wife is from Australia and they have the same problem, everything costs 30% more than it does in the US.  The reasons why vary all over the place.

I know you weren't buddy, everyone does it to answer your question... take the iphone se 64gb

USA price $499

UK Price £439 ($641) 

8 minutes ago, whitedragon101 said:

The main issue is the ridiculous price of these cards even at the USA price.

A GTX 980 was $469 at launch 

A GTX 1080 is $699 at launch 

Seriously wtf nVidia

No other tech company would get away with that imagine if the new iPhone or Samsung Galaxy cost 49% more than the last one.  People would lose their minds and no one would buy.

That is a very good point. But as previous poster said - it is a gimped card, albeit faster than a titan x.

So, it's justifiable to them to say ok, titan x is what $1000, you're getting better performance for $699.

Critically, the 1080 does seem "gimped" max power input of 170w would appear to be somewhat limiting, I'm yet to understand why they only put one power connector on the card other than to limit in some unknown way. It's their first consumer product at this fabrication process, could it be the 1080 and 1070 is the WORST they can do on 14nm but still look good with top tier performance? I think this is the case, and it makes business sense not to release your absolute best out of the gate (further research and improvements not withstanding) 

40 minutes ago, Mrhappyjolly said:

That is a very good point. But as previous poster said - it is a gimped card, albeit faster than a titan x.

So, it's justifiable to them to say ok, titan x is what $1000, you're getting better performance for $699.

Critically, the 1080 does seem "gimped" max power input of 170w would appear to be somewhat limiting, I'm yet to understand why they only put one power connector on the card other than to limit in some unknown way. It's their first consumer product at this fabrication process, could it be the 1080 and 1070 is the WORST they can do on 14nm but still look good with top tier performance? I think this is the case, and it makes business sense not to release your absolute best out of the gate (further research and improvements not withstanding) 

They might be leaving themselves lots of room for improvement, they may be planning to be on 14nm for a long time...

28nm took awhile to come off, and 10nm isn't ready, even from Intel.  So perhaps they are planning 4 or 5 years of releases at 14nm?

O booo hoo poor UK... You guys are not the only ones the US companies like to shaft... Everybody gets shafted by them to some degree...

in Australia we are paying A$1200 for the 1080 FE

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Dominator 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Urban S41 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Optical Drive: LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Monitor: 2x Asus VG278HE 27.0" 144Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G19s Wired Gaming Keyboard
Keyboard: Razer Orbweaver Elite Mechanical Gaming Keypad Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse
Headphones: Creative Labs EVO ZxR 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II 32W 2ch Speakers

Hades 1.0

Spoiler