Looking for a triple monitor setup

Youriv88

So i am looking to buy 3 monitors, mostly for gaming and schoolwork. I have a benq rl2455hm now, but i am not really a big fan of the look of it. So what monitors do you reccomend? I play league of legends and a few other competetive games so ultrawide isnt really an option for me. Hope you can help

just don't.. get a single decent monitor like an ultra wide.. 

I speak from experience.. 3 way setups suck.. they really do.. they look cool on your desk.. but when it comes to doing stuff they suck.. 

yes having another screen is cool and all.. but with modern ultrawides or 4k monitors you can just segment up your screen. 

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

What do you mean with segment? Im just wondering that when i press the maximize button on google chrome for example, if the whole screen will be covered. I just like the idea of using 1 screen for watching youtube, and the other screen for playing a game for example. And also, how does this work with competetive games? It isnt really practical to use an ultrawide on a league match 

ok ill say from experience. I have triple 1440p monitors. and yes i love it, but setting up Nvidia surround is a pain to do every time and takes about 10ish min every time before i want to use it. Once its setup its fine. The reason i dont keep it on is because quite frankly...... Nvidia surround sucks, ALOT. But if youd like to know what monitors i got They are the Asus PB258Q. I paid about 360 USD each. Each is 25inches of 1440p goodness but please...Please consider all the options before doing triple monitors. If you have questions just ask. the Horsepower to run them is alot.

Just so you know im not joking here you go

Spoiler

20160509_233249.jpg

Unlike what the other guy above said. I used a program called Displayfusion to manage all 3 of my monitors and i love it. i use every one of my monitors daily. there is no substitute and they do look really good, but i just want you to know the struggles of it. Nvidia surround on needs to be enabled when you want to game in triple. You can still use a three monitors with display fusion but you HAVE to use Surround to game unfortunately and From experience Nvidia surround is glitchy during normal use and a complete pain

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

16 minutes ago, Youriv88 said:

What do you mean with segment? Im just wondering that when i press the maximize button on google chrome for example, if the whole screen will be covered. I just like the idea of using 1 screen for watching youtube, and the other screen for playing a game for example. And also, how does this work with competetive games? It isnt really practical to use an ultrawide on a league match 

Ok, to answer your question thats how triple monitors work. Each monitor is like its own thing and you can maximize it or just use it like a single monitor in general. Now, with nvidia surround enabled however, it basically takes all 3 monitors and makes the computer think its a single monitor and in which cause all the single monitor snapping breaks. when you maximize something it takes all 3 and such and so forth. Which is why i hate Nvidia surround and only turn it on to game. I use a program called display fusion to manage all 3 of my monitors and it works just fine. Each monitor stays its own and therefor you keep all the individual snap points of a regular monitor and then you get all the same snap points of the other monitors as well. Its just that nvidia surround fucks all that up making the computer think its just one screen.

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

Purely for gaming, an ultrawide is a more elegant option than triple monitors, but for almost everything else multi-monitor is far better. Enabling and disabling NVIDIA Surround every time you play a game is a big pain, but that only applies if you want 3 monitors so you can span games across all 3. If that's the case then an ultrawide might be worth considering, but if you want triple monitors for multi-tasking there's no way an ultrawide can replace that, unless you didn't really need 3 monitors to begin with.

Saying an ultrawide is wide enough to have multiple windows open and so it can match dual or triple monitors in multi-tasking is a wonderful theoretical argument, but it doesn't really work so well in practice. For starters, a ~21:9 monitor with two windows side-by-side is equivalent to dual 5:4 monitors. That's nowhere near as much space as triple 16:9. Secondly, managing windows is a pain, as pointed out above yes if you hit the maximize button it will fill the entire screen. You need to manually resize your windows all the time if you want things side by side. Using Win+Arrow shortcuts is helpful but still not as easy as just dragging the window title bar to the top of your other monitor. Lastly, fullscreen applications like games and videos will fill the entire screen. There is no way to make them only fill part of the screen. So any plans for having skype or a browser or a music player or hardware monitoring open on the side while playing your games is off the table.

But i want the opposite, a program that "splits" the ultrawide like they are seperate monitors

2 minutes ago, Youriv88 said:

But i want the opposite, a program that "splits" the ultrawide like they are seperate monitors

Display fusion and disable Nivida surround. each monitor is its own thing then and you keep each individual snap point of every monitor...... you get maximize to that one SINGLE monitor and all the other things you you can maximize something on every monitor vs nvidia surround maxing to the entirity of all 3 monitors

I meant doing this with an ultrawide monitor.