My pc cant find any wifi networks

Go to solution Solved by bgibbz,
3 hours ago, unknownindividual said:

It will only respond to ethernet and I need this laptop mostly for wifi. Please help.

Try pressing F2 or fn +F2. On my Dell, that is the button that disables/enables wifi. If that doesnt work, check device manager and make sure the wifi card is detected.

It will only respond to ethernet and I need this laptop mostly for wifi. Please help.

1. Restart the computer

2.. Make sure you have the latest drivers for the wifi adapter. You can check for updates through device manager. 

3. If you can, open up the laptop, find the wifi adapter and physically take it out then put it back in.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

Is there a button that disables the wifi? Perhaps you flipped the switch or pressed the button.

Open of Networking Adapters, right click on the wireless adapter, disable and then enable.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I uninstalled the driver and now I regret it. Where can I download drivers for my computer. (Dell XPS 15 l502x)

1 minute ago, unknownindividual said:

I uninstalled the driver and now I regret it. Where can I download drivers for my computer. (Dell XPS 15 l502x)

Dells website would be a good first choice. :ph34r:

Depending on the specific laptop there's a multitude of various things that could be causing the problem. Spork829's suggested are good for a start. Though dealing with the phsyical wifi card can be easier said than done if your specific laptop doesn't have quick access panels on the bottom.

Lurick is spot on. Definitely check to make sure you haven't disabled the card through a toggle. On most laptops that don't have a dedicated switch for this. There will usually be a combination of the Function key (FN) and one of the F(1-12) keys at the top to toggle wifi connectivity. (Every laptop I've ever owned fast FN+F2). Edit: Also, most laptop bios will allow you to disable wifi/bluetooth. But it's unlikely this got toggled unintentionally. Still something to check though.

First thing is first though. Did the laptop previously connect properly to your wifi? If it did. Did you make any changes, or potentially any unintended (such as updates, etc) to either the wireless configuration on your AP. Or the laptop itself?

6 minutes ago, unknownindividual said:

If you go to dells website, you should be able to look up your product either through model number. Or serial number (generally better). Both of which are usually listed somewhere on the bottom of the device. But there should be instructions on the website if you can't find it.

Edited by Apathetik
Forgot something. lol

9 minutes ago, unknownindividual said:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/xps-l502x/

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.91 GHz RAM: G.Skill 4x4GB 2133Mhz DDR3 GPU: AMD HD 7970 3GB SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB PSU: Corsair HX620W  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Case: Phanteks P400 Tempered Glass (Black) Monitor: Dell P2412H, Dell 2012H Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic Mouse: Logitech G203 Prodigy HDD: WD Black 3TB

Windows Update has drivers if you have a hard time finding them. In the optional updates.

3 hours ago, unknownindividual said:

Try pressing F2 or fn +F2. On my Dell, that is the button that disables/enables wifi. If that doesnt work, check device manager and make sure the wifi card is detected.

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

6 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

How can I be so stupid. Thank you. 

1 hour ago, unknownindividual said:

I installed but nothing.

I looked at the Dell support page for your laptop. Seems that laptop can come with many different wireless cards in it. Most common thing I see happening when people have that many options is installing the wrong driver. If you used your Service Tag, Express Service Code, or the auto-detect hardware functionality from dell you can ignore this, as that should have pointed you to the correct drivers.

Next thing I'd do is open your Device Manager. Windows Key + R, type "devmgmt.msc" (without quotes) and press enter to get at it quickly. Check for hardware that has a yellow question mark on it's icon. This usually indicates a device without drivers. If you don't have any hardware with missing drivers. Go to the 'Network Adapters' section and verify that your wireless card is listed. 

If it is listed, right click it and open properties to verify the card is working properly. In the 'General' tab it lists Device Status at the bottom. It should indicate if the device is malfunctioning (including an error code), disabled, or functioning properly.

If your wireless card is not listed. And no hardware is showing up as unidentified/missing drivers. The card itself is not being initialized and or recognized by the system at some stage of bootup. I've seen this range from an unseated card, or disabled completely in bios. To a completely dead card. 

Edit: You just posted you got it working like a few seconds before I finished this. :P Glad you got it working. Disregard everything else though. haha

Edited by Apathetik
Irrelephant now. lol

25 minutes ago, unknownindividual said:

How can I be so stupid. Thank you. 

No problem:) I went 2 weeks without wifi on my laptop a couple years ago because of this issue. Glad it works. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown