Custom PC side panel

I'm in the phase of doing multiple upgrades to my pc, including a currently ongoing water-cooling project. Now, with my OCD with cable management and tubing, I thought my case could benefit with a windowed side panel. However, I have managed to acquire a discontinued case, meaning no-one makes side panels for the case I have (Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl (not XL)). I am not directly enticed by the idea of modifying (and possibly just plain breaking) the one panel I have, and would therefore like to make my own panel from scratch.

Anyone have experience with this kind of thing? Or with anyone who makes custom panels for any case? (I've already checked FrozenCPU)

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @ 3,5GHz

-Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3i

Motherboard: MSI B150 PC Mate LGA1151 ATX

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4-2133MHz

Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 White

-Fans: 3x Corsair HD120 1x Corsair AF140L

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW

PSU: Corsair CX600M

Storage: Crucial BX200 240GB SSD (System disk) + Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD (Storage)

Operating System: Windows 8.1

Partpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wPhTtJ

1 minute ago, Ser James Acinonyx of Compactis said:

I'm in the phase of doing multiple upgrades to my pc, including a currently ongoing water-cooling project. Now, with my OCD with cable management and tubing, I thought my case could benefit with a windowed side panel. However, I have managed to acquire a discontinued case, meaning no-one makes side panels for the case I have (Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl (not XL)). I am not directly enticed by the idea of modifying (and possibly just plain breaking) the one panel I have, and would therefore like to make my own panel from scratch.

Anyone have experience with this kind of thing? Or with anyone who makes custom panels for any case? (I've already checked FrozenCPU)

If your interested in cutting a window in your orginal side panel I have a guide here under Window Mod.

As for making your own panels it's not overly difficult depending on the style your going for, if you just want a 100% clear panel a sheet of acrylic and a mounting system for it would work very well and won't be too hard to do yourself. 

you could get a new case?... or just remove the side panel, its great for visability and accesability. i just dont have one for my case(well there is one but its shit) so i can just reach in there if i need anything. looks great too. well you could also get a pice of acrylic and try making an acrylic side panel. depends on how it mounts to the case tho

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, W-L said:

If your interested in cutting a window in your orginal side panel I have a guide here under Window Mod.

Remember I said I don't want to do anything to my existing panel. I'd rather have something to fall back on if the idea fails.

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

As for making your own panels it's not overly difficult depending on the style your going for, if you just want a 100% clear panel a sheet of acrylic and a mounting system for it would work very well and won't be too hard to do yourself. 

I've chosen to cover up the drive cage, 5,25" bays and probably the lowest part of the main area. So it'd be a metal plate with a window inside.

Also, what mounting system did you have in mind?

Storage: Crucial BX200 240GB SSD (System disk) + Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD (Storage)

6 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

you could get a new case?... or just remove the side panel, its great for visability and accesability. i just dont have one for my case(well there is one but its shit) so i can just reach in there if i need anything. looks great too. well you could also get a pice of acrylic and try making an acrylic side panel. depends on how it mounts to the case tho

Funny story, I did change case within probably a month after first building the PC, because I was a bit impatient to get it going. That resulted in a case without cable routing holes, backside etc. And that was an eye-sore. The case I have now, I bought used on a sort of Norwegian Craigslist, and I made the arrangement before I actually managed to find out the case was a non-windowed, discontinued product. Two rushed decisions in a row case-wise. Yay...

As for panel-less, that would be fine with me if my pc was on my desk out of reach of my feet, and I didn't have a curious cat who likes to inspect everything I own.

Acrylic panel would be fine, except I want to hide a bunch of cabling inside the drive cage, and thus an opaque panel would be more feasible for me.

Edited by Ser James Acinonyx of Compactis
Trigger finger post pusher

2 minutes ago, Ser James Acinonyx of Compactis said:

Funny story, I did change case within probably a month after first building the PC, because I was a bit impatient to get it going. That resulted in a case without cable routing holes, backside etc. And that was an eye-sore. The case I have now, I bought used on a sort of Norwegian Craigslist, and I made the arrangement before I actually managed to find out the case was a non-windowed, discontinued product. Two rushed decisions in a row case-wise. Yay...

good job there... :P 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 minutes ago, Ser James Acinonyx of Compactis said:

Remember I said I don't want to do anything to my existing panel. I'd rather have something to fall back on if the idea fails.

I've chosen to cover up the drive cage, 5,25" bays and probably the lowest part of the main area. So it'd be a metal plate with a window inside.

Also, what mounting system did you have in mind?

If you wanted it to look like the original side panel  using a metal frame it would be best to just use the original side panel you can get someone at a fabrication shop to cut it for you as long as you lay it out.

For something like an entire acrylic panel in most situation bolting it on and using fasteners or thumb nuts is the easiest option for mounting.

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

good job there... :P 

Ikr? Also, added some more details in an edited post :P

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

For something like an entire acrylic panel in most situation bolting it on and using fasteners or thumb nuts is the easiest option for mounting.

Could you perhaps show me an example of the mounting method?

1 minute ago, Ser James Acinonyx of Compactis said:

It would basically have the side panel with the fasteners through the frame or border area where the panel usually seats in place:

fd-definer2-side-large.jpg

2 minutes ago, Ser James Acinonyx of Compactis said:

well i just have my legs on my computer, its super comfy and literally the only possition i can have it if i want the stupid wifi to work xD also there is going to be an In Win event in a few hours were there is going to be a case modding competition live, maybe you can get some insperation there? :) 

Builds:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

It would basically have the side panel with the fasteners through the frame or border area where the panel usually seats in place:

fd-definer2-side-large.jpg

Yes but do I just run a bolt through for each seating hole and rest the panel like that, or are there angles and such for a more secure fit?

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

well i just have my legs on my computer, its super comfy and literally the only possition i can have it if i want the stupid wifi to work xD also there is going to be an In Win event in a few hours were there is going to be a case modding competition live, maybe you can get some insperation there? :) 

Perhaps.

5 minutes ago, Ser James Acinonyx of Compactis said:

Yes but do I just run a bolt through for each seating hole and rest the panel like that, or are there angles and such for a more secure fit?

Perhaps.

You wouldn't want to use the originals in the case since they are just opening from the side/locking portion of the panel, it would be best to drill and tap new holes for the bolts screw into place.