AIDA64 Accidentally Confirms GP102 and GP107 GPUs

The second batch of chips is for the famed GP102 core. This is the very same core that will be powering the next GTX 1080 Ti and the next TITAN series of graphics cards from Nvidia. We expect the die to be around 472mm in size and will probably have around 3840 cores. You can read up more on the GP102 and GTX 1080 Ti editorial over here. The device IDs are divided into two variants but are part of the same family, so it is possible that this particular Pascal GPU only has one chip configuration.

So now we have more solid evidence for another GDDR5/X powered high end Nvidia die. Guess GP100 (and maybe Vega) don't have very good yields. :P

Near the bottom of the barrel we have the GP107 and GP108 dies. The GP107 will be powering the GTX 1050 series of GPUs and several mobility variants. This is the low budget gaming spectrum of Nvidia GPUs and will probably be focused on OEM sales. The GP108 is the GPU that will only be useful (practically speaking) for HTPC purposes and not any amount of serious gaming.

Sources: 

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-pascal-device-id-gp-102-gpu-confirmed/

Very interested to see when HBM2 will make it to consumers.

what made you think the 1080ti will have GDDR5X?

all ive heard is that it will use HBM2

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Interesting

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

19 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Why would Nvidia make two HBM2 GPUs? Wouldn't that make manufacturing of P100s and Geforce cards more and more expensive? GP102 with GDDR5X would alleviate HBM2 supply problems but at the same time allow for an "enthusiast" Nvidia product.

31 minutes ago, Enderman said:

This is not the first time the GP102 sees light, someone last week posted a chart containing the specs of that chips saying it was going GDDR5/X memory for the new titan and 1080ti which it kinda make sense since nvidia said the tesla P100 would have a staged release and the last faze would be general availability by early 2017 and before that it would only sell P100 in massive bulk orders to big biz and on their server enclosure thingy that i don't remember the name of.

That last week post about new titan/1080ti said it would come later this year, my guess is that HBM2 for consumers (at least for nvidia chips) is coming mid 2017 with the 1100 series since by them yield should be high enough for mass production for consumer markets.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

9 minutes ago, Sampsy said:

-snip-

I don't know about lack of competition, as AMD is launching new architectures this year and in 2017, but I can see Nvidia being overconfident. GP100 is definitely having bad yields, (their top end multi thousand dollar Tesla P100 can't even have all cores enabled on its GPU) but I only hope that GP102 and GP100 make it to consumers so GP104 can get a price drop :P

I see this going the same way as GTX 780 > OG Titan > 780 Ti > Titan Black. GTX 1080 Ti (Cut-down GP102 GDDR5X) > Pascal Titan (Full GP102 GDDR5X) > GTX 1180 Ti (Cut-down GP100 HBM2) > Pascal Titan Ultra (Full GP100 HBM2). Then nVidia's Tock process Volta.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

2 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

I see this going the same way as GTX 780 > OG Titan > 780 Ti > Titan Black. GTX 1080 Ti (Cut-down GP102 GDDR5X) > Pascal Titan (Full GP102 GDDR5X) > GTX 1180 Ti (Cut-down GP100 HBM2) > Pascal Titan Ultra (Full GP100 HBM2). Then nVidia's Tock process Volta.

None of that is correct....

The 780ti and Titan Black are identical in gaming (provided thermal limits are removed and clock speeds are the same), as are the 780 and Titan. They all share the same core.

Additionally, the P100 and GP102 dies are identical according to all the links (3840 cuda cores etc etc), so it is likely GP102 is the 780ti variant of the P100 "Titan". 

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

3 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

None of that is correct....

The 780ti and Titan Black are identical in gaming (provided thermal limits are removed and clock speeds are the same), as are the 780 and Titan. They all share the same core.

Additionally, the P100 and GP102 dies are identical according to all the links (3840 cuda cores etc etc), so it is likely GP102 is the 780ti variant of the P100 "Titan". 

GP102 is now real, but there are some inherent differences between GP100 and GP102. For one, FP64 performance is completely gimped on GP102 to improve costs, as gaming doesn't use FP64. Also, GP102 doesn't use HBM2.

Just now, awesomeness10120 said:

GP102 is now real, but there are some inherent differences between GP100 and GP102. For one, FP64 performance is completely gimped on GP102 to improve costs, as gaming doesn't use FP64. Also, GP102 doesn't use HBM2.

1. we don't know if it uses or doesn't use HBM2 (I doubt very much it is using GDDR5x just saying) This leak doesn't confirm ANYTHING ABOUT THE CORE CONFIG OR MEMORY SUBSET.... We are still going off the previous assumption/leaks. Read the actual leak...

2. That is why I called it the 780 ti compared to Titan black. Exact same in everything other than DP perf.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Seriously... this leak CONTAINS NOTHING OTHER THAN DEVICE ID's! IT DOESN'T SAY A SINGLE GODDAMN THING ABOUT CORE CONFIGs, MEMORY STRUCTURE, or EVEN DIE SIZE.

All of the other data in the WCCF-tech article is still the 100% unsubstantiated rumor mill.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

They're definitely having yield issues. I mean they probably already have at least minor issues with gp104 and having to invent a "Founder's Edition" while waiting on more chips to be ready to satisfy the market. 

And it's easy to see that a 600mm die will be hell to produce in a large amount. So (G)P100 will be their only behemoth for now. I'm quite sure they prefer to sell whatever chips they get for enterprise customers, where the money is better. 

It's only natural that a smaller GP102 is made to fill in while everything gets up to speed. The yields will be better, albeit probably not too good either.

2 hours ago, Sampsy said:

Not a happy bunny but not very surprising either - this trend has been going on for a while. If the 1080ti is on gp102 rather than gp100 it really has nothing to do with yields and everything to do with a lack of competition. Nvidia has been matching AMD's high end offerings with what is really their mid end for a while now. The 980 was never the high end maxwell chip, it was just marketed as such when it was released, eventually to be replaced with the real high end in the form of the 980ti and titan x.

This move would just be another iteration on the same thing. Market the mid end 1080 as a high end chip and charge whatever people are willing to pay to have the fastest card around. Then do the same for a mid-high end gp102 1080ti, bumping down the 1080. Finally release the full fat gp100 and yet again Nvidia manage to get people to pay the very high price to have the fastest card available. Because AMD aren't managing to match Nvidia in a timely fashion Nvidia can get away with charging premium prices for what are really non-premium products. Why would they sell a mid end chip for a mid end price if AMD have no response to it - they may as well charge what the market will bear.

Sure you could argue that ultimately the 1080 is still a very fast card and it's purely price/performance that should matter to consumers, not how much it costs Nvidia to make it or where it sits in their product portfolio. But it's frustrating as hell knowing the huge profit margin they are making at our expense, drip feeding consumers just enough to keep buying their cards while spending as little as they can get away with on R&D. It's completely due to a lack of competition from AMD and it's only going to lead to GPU technology falling far behind where it could be. I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia do something similar to intel and start slowing down their architecture development - why bother bringing out Volta when you can keep selling Pascal for the next x years?

That is more or less just Nvidia being Nvidia. Big chips are expensive to produce and there is no need to produce them when most of AMD's focus is on the mid-low end this generation. Don't confuse this with AMD not being able to match Nvidia. Remember, the mid and low end are where the majority of money is made because yields are so much higher along with sales too, plus this is the same area that AMD is focusing on for consoles too which are all on AMD hardware. As you can probably see both companies focus on opposite ends of the market, but they have other offerings which keep prices in check. If you want exorbitant prices and stagnation, look at Intel.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

4 hours ago, awesomeness10120 said:

Why would Nvidia make two HBM2 GPUs? Wouldn't that make manufacturing of P100s and Geforce cards more and more expensive? GP102 with GDDR5X would alleviate HBM2 supply problems but at the same time allow for an "enthusiast" Nvidia product.

because, from a previous rumor, the GeForce Pascals do not have FP64 units - that means nVidia has two manufacturing lines, one for Tesla / and possibly Quadro  and one for GeForce / Quadro