PC Sales May Be Going Down, but SSD Shipments are only Going Up

DocSwag

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10348/q1-2016-market-trends-ssds

Shipments of SSDs in the first quarter of 2016 were up 32.7% compared to the same period a year ago, according to findings of TrendFocus*, a storage market tracking company. Sales of all types of SSDs, including those for client and server systems, were up sequentially and year-over-year, which indicates that NAND-based storage devices are taking share away from traditional hard drives.

The industry sold a total of 30.777 million SSDs in Q1 2016, up 32% from 23.190 million in the same period of 2015, according to data by TrendFocus. By contrast, shipments of PCs dropped to 60.6-64.8 million units (according to Gartner and IDC), or by around 10% year-over-year (YoY); whereas shipments of HDDs collapsed by 20% YoY, based on data from hard drive manufacturers. The growth of SSDs has been consistent despite slowing sales of PCs and HDDs for several quarters now, therefore, a minor sequential increase (~4%) of their shipments in Q1 2016 was not surprising.

ssd_shipments_trendfocus_q1_2016_ALL.png

ssd_shipments_trendfocus_q1_2016_SHARES_

Samsung is the world’s largest maker of NAND flash and is also the largest manufacturer of SSDs. The company has been controlling over 40% of the market for a while now and its unit shipments increased from 9.42 million in Q1 2015 to 12.93 million in Q1 2016. Samsung supplies SSDs to such large PC makers as Apple, HP and Lenovo, therefore, its success is well expected.

The second largest supplier of SSDs in Q1 2016 was SanDisk, which shipped 3.94 million drives and controlled 12.8% of the market. It is noteworthy that while SanDisk and Toshiba operate the world’s largest NAND flash manufacturing complex, the latter is not a major maker of SSDs. In Q1 the company only sold 1.2 million of SSDs, whereas its market share was 3.9%.

The world’s third largest supplier of SSDs in the first quarter of 2016 was Lite-On, which sells drives under Plextor and Lite-On brands. The company not only increased shipments of its SSDs from 1.39 million units in Q1 2015 to 3.51 million units in Q1 2016, or by 152% year-over-year, but also gained a significant amount of market share. In the first quarter Lite-On controlled 11.4% of the global SSD shipments.

Kingston, which is the world’s No. 1 independent supplier of DRAM modules, is also a significant maker of SSDs. The last 12 months were not exactly good for Kingston in comparison to others. Unit sales of Kingston’s SSDs only increased by around 14% year over year, but its market share dropped from 10.8% in Q1 2015 to 9.3% in Q1 2016.

If sales of PCs drop in Q2 2016, shipments of SSDs and HDDs will decline as well. Earlier this year Western Digital already predicted a slight decrease of the HDD TAM (total available market) in the second quarter, which is a bad news for storage market in general. On the other hand, shipments of PCs usually increase in the second half of the year, which means that not only HDDs 'should' rebound, but SSDs will have good chances to set a new record in terms of unit shipments (we say should, as various reports have mixed predictions).

Even though PC sales as well as HDD sales are declining, SSD sales are going up by over 30% every year. SSDs seem to only be growing with popularity, for good reason. New TLC SSDs have been driving prices down making them an actual good deal. I personally find this to be just as I expected. SSDs will probably only get increasingly popular until HDDs get phased out completely. As well, Samsung seems to be the most popular SSD maker by a long shot. This isn't surprising, especially because of their V-Nand, which really helps performance and has made TLC producing flash much cheaper.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

I'm guessing that a lot of people have realised that they can make their pc faster by simply buying an SSD instead of an entire computer.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Who the hell buys pre-build POS PC's?? When will those stupid assholes of the makes realises people

mostly builds their own PC and don't buy those shit pre-builds PC's?!

The fuck is wrong with them saying PC sales going down??

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

4 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

I'm guessing that a lot of people have realised that they can make their pc faster by simply buying an SSD instead of an entire computer.

No, just more and more laptops are including small SSDs.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Hmm, unsurprising to be honest. People can easily upgrade their PC with an SSD and shipments are going up... I still remember when SSD's were quite new so it's still developing technology (and its price is getting lower)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

Who the hell buys pre-build POS PC's?? When will those stupid assholes of the makes realises people

A lot of people do, why spend a ton of money when you don't have to? Open your mind to all of the possibilities. Also, don't get so angry so quickly at something you don't understand, you'll live longer. ;)

-KuJoe

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

A lot of people do, why spend a ton of money when you don't have to? Open your mind to all of the possibilities. Also, don't get so angry so quickly at something you don't understand, you'll live longer. ;)

All of the possibilities? Lol

Building a gaming PC is cheaper than "gaming" OEM PC.

DAC/AMPs:

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Also SSD sales numbers would increase if places like Newegg and Amazon wouldn't limit orders to 3 SSDs at a time. Seriously, who orders only 3 SSDs at a time? Are that many people really running RAID5 with SSDs (in before write amplification statement).

-KuJoe

1 minute ago, CTR640 said:

And thus why I said you should open your mind, not everybody is buying gaming PCs so why spend more money when you don't have to? :P 

-KuJoe

And thus why I said you should open your mind, not everybody is buying gaming PCs so why spend more money when you don't have to? :P 

Buying a laptop is better than buying an OEM PC :P

DAC/AMPs:

6 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

But getting a pre built is faster than doing the research on what parts to get, research on how to build a PC, etc.

Also if something is wrong with your PC, you can just take it to the store and they will fix it. You wont have to troubleshoot, RMA something just to find out that was not the problem, etc.

Some people just don't have the time for all that shit.

It's not all about the price.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Then PC Gaming is kind of a niche market :P

DAC/AMPs:

2 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

There we go, now you're using that noggin! :D I'm sure laptop sales were included in the report since they don't specify desktop and just say the generic term "PC".

-KuJoe

8 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

Not when you know nothing about computers and know nobody who does. See, everyone "needs" a computer, but not everyone "needs" a powerful money saving price/performance machine.

There we go, now you're using that noggin! :D I'm sure laptop sales were included in the report since they don't specify desktop and just say the generic term "PC".

Well, I would do that if I ever going to buy an OEM: a laptop.

DAC/AMPs:

1 minute ago, CyanideInsanity said:

Not when you know nothing about computers and know nobody who does. See, everyone "needs" a computer, but not everyone "needs" a powerful money saving price/performance machine.

I had that and there are forums like LTT and Hardware.info to ask for help and there you go :P

That's what I did in the first place.

DAC/AMPs:

12 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

Businesses buy PCs in bulk from Dell, HP, Acer etc. If you need to equip an office with computers you don't build them yourself.

People (private customers) buy them for the convenience of it. If it goes wrong, you call the manufacturer and they have to fix it. You don't need to think about components, only about the price, and that is something that is very attractive to somebody who just wants a computer.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

12 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

Businesses buy PCs in bulk from Dell, HP, Acer etc. If you need to equip an office with computers you don't build them yourself.

People (private customers) buy them for the convenience of it. If it goes wrong, you call the manufacturer and they have to fix it. You don't need to think about components, only about the price, and that is something that is very attractive to somebody who just wants a computer.

48 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

most people dont buy computers for gaming

41 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

I had that and there are forums like LTT and Hardware.info to ask for help and there you go :P

That's what I did in the first place.

then why do you hire people to fix your roof, do your plumbing, install electrical wiring when you can do it yourself 

*puts on old man glasses and lights pipe*

I remember when I had to travel to the other side of town and pay an arm and a leg for a 16 *mb* FLASH DRIVE! You kids got it easy with your amazons and ebays >_> *dry cough*

---

But seriously SSD's have literally drop to half the price of their similar versions last year. My 120 gb cost me $80 last Jan, now I can get a 250 for that price :/

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

Kinda strange how Lite-On/Plextor is growing so fast all of a sudden. I felt like they were dropping off the map a little in terms of interesting products.

1 hour ago, CTR640 said:

A laptop is an OEM PC.

2 hours ago, CTR640 said:

That's because most people buy pre-built.  

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Well if you just buy a 300-400 dollar laptop and upgrade it to a SSD, it'll feel really fast..

A SSD can make your computer feel faster.