Outdoor Cat 5e Installation

5 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Watched this on Vessel the other night, now I have CAT5e all over my roof. :(

cat5e_falling.jpg

this looks horrible. please terminate the cables in an outlet. this hurts my eyes.

1 minute ago, JPotze said:

this looks horrible. please terminate the cables in an outlet. this hurts my eyes.

I tried this twice without any luck (either my punch down tool is broken or the jacks are bad). I'm ordering new ones of both just to be safe and then I'll be installing this in a few weeks to make it even better: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816129056 

-KuJoe

Much, much better if you can to run it inside your wall. External walls will always have a space that you can run cables through and unless you have a brick house so will the internal walls. Running it inside the wall means you don't have to use outdoor rated cables. Money you can instead spend on something else. Maybe a second cable run alongside it or perhaps jumping from Cat5e to Cat6 increasing your chances of getting 10Gbps down the road.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Why would you install CAT5E instead of CAT6 or even CAT6A? CAT5E has no way of doing 10Gbps and CAT6 or CAT6A is usually only marginally more expensive.

While I agree with mostly everything Linus had to say, I can't take him seriously because of the socks and sandals. Sorry @LinusTech

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

20 minutes ago, adelintru said:

Why would you install CAT5E instead of CAT6 or even CAT6A? CAT5E has no way of doing 10Gbps and CAT6 or CAT6A is usually only marginally more expensive.

Because some people aren't ready to throw away all of their CAT5e spools just to spend money on something that does the same exact thing (my GigE switches don't care if it's CAT5e or CAT6). ;)

-KuJoe

surprised to see so few people pointing out that linus showed no check for wires or studs

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K (Stock Speed)  Motherboard: Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark-S  Memory: 4x8GB Klevv GENUINE DDR3 1600MHz GPU: EVGA GTX 550Ti PSU: Corsair RM850

And after that you can make a cut in that cable, solder another connector to both of the ends creating a Y connection - a kind of physical hub, plug that into a raspberry pi and have your home server on the outside of the house as well for even less clutter indoors and great cooling.

If you have external lights on your house, bringing power to it wouldn't be much trouble either.

I posted a much simpler guide on the forums, all indoor, no drilling, much cheaper. Downside is it doesn't terminate as nicely.

LINK:

2 hours ago, xByakko said:

surprised to see so few people pointing out that linus showed no check for wires or studs

Definitely. Also worth pointing out that different countries have differing regulations about what sort of cabling you legally can do yourself and how it should be done. Especially for electrical work but it also applies to data cabling. I don't know about other countries but I do know that here in Australia you legally have to be qualified to do any sort of permanent cabling. And it has to be either inside the walls, in conduit on the wall or in conduit and buried. This applies to data cabling and electrical stuff. To be fair there's not much they can do to stop you but if you ever intend to sell or rent out the property? It's not a bad idea to make sure it's done correctly in the first place.

Though to be fair it's Linus TechTips not Linus Government Regulation Tips. I also only know this because I looked into running Ethernet myself before reading the above regulations. Then I got a quote from a sparky to do it and his price was good enough. He was also far neater than I would have been and wired up the whole house in a few hours. It's something that's worth doing either way. Including parts and labour I ended up paying the contractor about the same per point as it would have cost in powerline kits or wireless adapters. And I get full Gigabit.

2 hours ago, Ronda said:

And after that you can make a cut in that cable, solder another connector to both of the ends creating a Y connection - a kind of physical hub, plug that into a raspberry pi and have your home server on the outside of the house as well for even less clutter indoors and great cooling. If you have external lights on your house, bringing power to it wouldn't be much trouble either.

If you are splitting an Ethernet cable? You better not want 1Gbps because the only way to do this properly is to turn it into two 100Mbps cables. Gigabit Ethernet (1000BASE-T) uses all four pairs vs the 2 pairs for 100Mbps (100BASE-TX). Also don't do it because it's just generally a horrible idea. Oh, and please don't also run power to it from an exterior light. If you're going to run a Rasberry Pi outside? Gut a garden solar light or something and use WiFi.

I asked on youtube but maybe I'll get a response here, instead of measuring where he wanted the hole, why didn't he pick the exact spot he wanted, then drill from the inside to the outside? 

8 minutes ago, Mrhappyjolly said:

I asked on youtube but maybe I'll get a response here, instead of measuring where he wanted the hole, why didn't he pick the exact spot he wanted, then drill from the inside to the outside? 

I don't remember the exact answer but when I was running my CAT5e cable my father told me to drill from the outside in like Linus did. I should have paid more attention to the reasoning.

-KuJoe

25 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

I don't remember the exact answer but when I was running my CAT5e cable my father told me to drill from the outside in like Linus did. I should have paid more attention to the reasoning.

the only thing I can think of is that if you push too hard at the exit point you can create a bigger hole in the brick if it cracks, and take a chunk off the brick by the hole if you see what I mean, but taking care would prevent that.

Everywhere I've ever worked, and when I was taught this in school, they say to use T-568B, as well as every premade ethernet cable I've purchased being B. Why are you using A?

I might have overheard it in video, but is there any particular reason to use female to female adapter on wall jack, rather than terminating it with keystone? They also make tool-less keystone jacks now if you don't have punch-down tool (which is not expensive anyway) or don't want to push pins with kitchen knife..

32 minutes ago, Diablo3dfx said:

Everywhere I've ever worked, and when I was taught this in school, they say to use T-568B, as well as every premade ethernet cable I've purchased being B. Why are you using A?

Same here, B is what was taught to me in school and what we use at work. A makes sense to people who are self taught since A comes before B and basically everybody I know who learned to terminate cables on their own with 0 outside influence all use A.

2 minutes ago, SanityAgathion said:

I might have overheard it in video, but is there any particular reason to use female to female adapter on wall jack, rather than terminating it with keystone? They also make tool-less keystone jacks now if you don't have punch-down tool (which is not expensive anyway) or don't want to push pins with kitchen knife..

I prefer the punch down method also but for some reason the last time I ordered a pack of RJ-45 wall outlets from Amazon they sent me a bunch of the female to female jacks instead. I'd never seen them before but apparently they're popular (even Ubiquiti's UniFi in-wall APs use female to female jacks instead of the punch downs). Also for some reason my local Lowes sells the punch down wall outlets individually but if I want to buy a pack of 10 or they only ever have the female to female jacks in stock. It's really strange but I'm getting used to them (and they saved me some headache when my punch down outlets weren't working).

-KuJoe

4 hours ago, Mrhappyjolly said:

When drilling through something you're far more likely to damage the other end. If you damage the external wall it's pretty damn hard to repair because you can't exactly replace a whole brick. You can't really patch it up either. The internal wall is not only easier repair if you damage it but you're also going to cover it up with a wall plate anyway.

Did anyone else notice that there's really bad interference sound or something else over this video? It's becoming really frustrating

IT Student | Gamer | PC Enthusiast | Life Liver

46 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

I prefer the punch down method also but for some reason the last time I ordered a pack of RJ-45 wall outlets from Amazon they sent me a bunch of the female to female jacks instead. I'd never seen them before but apparently they're popular (even Ubiquiti's UniFi in-wall APs use female to female jacks instead of the punch downs). Also for some reason my local Lowes sells the punch down wall outlets individually but if I want to buy a pack of 10 or they only ever have the female to female jacks in stock. It's really strange but I'm getting used to them (and they saved me some headache when my punch down outlets weren't working).

Interesting, thank you. It may be an issue of supply then, rather than deliberate choice.

I thought Linus only wore socks and sandals as a gag in videos. No, it appears I was wrong, he actually wears socks and sandals :P

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

10 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

I thought Linus only wore socks and sandals as a gag in videos. No, it appears I was wrong, he actually wears socks and sandals :P

He legitimately gave Colton a list of like, 15 reasons why socks and sandals are the ideal footwear for every situation.

It is NOT a gag - socks and sandals are his life, and he's literally insane for it.