Want to upgrade computer hardware

1. Budget & Location

$2,000ish (unless I am way under the amount needed) USD located in the AZ US

2. Aim

My two main goals for my pc are gaming with mainly dota, and video editing

3. Monitors

I currently have two shit tear monitors, one is just a 30 inch 1080p 60hertz tv and my primary is a 18inch 1050p 60hertz. I'm not nearly concered about my secondary monitor but my main concern is finding a monitor that can run 4k at a high enough refresh rate for my dota experience as my primary.

4. Peripherals

All of my peripherals are up to date with the exception of my poop monitors.

5. Why are you upgrading?

As I start to get further into my small business of creating promotional, wedding, etc videos I am currently running into a lot more lag and render time as I become more and more experienced. I now work with significantly more layers and this puts a significant load of my pc, I may also upgrade to a 4k camera in the near future and I don't believe my pc as it stands, will comfortably be able to edit the footage. As far as gaming I spend too much time playing dota/starcraft and I would love to the have the best experience possible when playing it Dota 2. I'm hoping to achieve low latency, high frame-rates, and 4k gaming in specifically Dota 2. In terms of other games like the Witcher 3, I'm not as concerned with the 4k performance or the frame-rate.

Current Specs:

CPU: Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3901 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
CPU Cooler:  Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan 
Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z77-DS3H Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard
Memory: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3/1866MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance)
Storage: 2TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 Full Tower Gaming Case W/ Side Panel Window
Power Supply: Corsair TX Enthusiast Series 850 (850W)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full - USB (64-bit)  

are you willing to reuse some of your parts? that do not need to be upgraded

2 minutes ago, millerb415 said:

are you willing to reuse some of your parts? that do not need to be upgraded

Yes! I'd gladly reuse any parts or if need be, sell them on ebay and just get a few extra dollars to save and put towards something else :D

2 minutes ago, millerb415 said:

what is the editing software that you are using?

I use mainly Adobe After Efects CS6 , Adobe Premiere Pro CC but from time to time will jump to Sony Vegas 13.

1 minute ago, millerb415 said:

do you want to overclock?

I don't mind overclocking, I know the basics but whatever works best for price per performance

typed this up once and the internet went down when i sent so i had to type it up again

CPU: I7 5820K ($390)
CPU Cooler: Same (if it mounts, or a hyper 212 if that does not mount then any cheap heat sink [$30])
Motherboard: asrock x99 extreme 4 ($200
Memory: 64 gigs of ddr4 (4 sticks of 16 gigs) ($220)
Storage: 2TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (add an identical, or get two new 2+TB harddrives[perfurable])

and a samsung 950 pro 512GB ($320)
Video Card: GTX 980 (Wait for about a week or two these prices will plumit) (should be about 300 or less)
Case: SAME
Power Supply: SAME
Operating System: SAME

Monitor: Asus PB287Q ($428)

price(excluding large hhds) $1888

now for reasoning ya the 5820k has six cores and for editing the more the merrier, it also has 28 pcie lanes so the graphics card(uses 16 lanes) and the m.2 ssd (uses 4 lanes) have full bandwidth and can even add an internal wifi card if you want or some other card. mobo does what it needs to and gets the job done. ram over kill for dota but can be put to use in editing and may be able to use some as a ram cashe to help with scrubbing through the footage and speeding things up in general for editing can be expanded to 128 gigs if you want but 64 in editing is the sweet spot

the 2 2TB hdds is for redundancy. put it in a raid 1 which will then be seen as one 2TB drive but will make a copy of anything saved on it twice once to each drive. this is good for the footage and the projects that you are working on that way if one drive fails you still have everything that you have edited. the ssd is your main drive this is where the os will live and all of your games and application it will allow for anything saved on here to load very quick (this is one of the fastest drives on the market) this drive will however make you unable to use the bottom pci slot on the mobo but if you needed to use them all for some reason then there is a problem. with the 1080 coming out on friday the 980's price will plummet as the 1070, which will come out in about a month, are going to be about 350 to 420 will out perform this card but you do not need the extra power for that so might as well get this card which should be cheaper. also adobe uses cuda acceleration when rendering which means that Nvidia gpus are going to help with render times that is the best 4k monitor that i could find it has the lowest lag out of the ones that i looked at. however i could not even find one 4k monitor that would run at 144hz and this one is only 60hz but it should be fine if you want the more hz then you will have to drop down to a 1440p monitor

15 hours ago, millerb415 said:

typed this up once and the internet went down when i sent so i had to type it up again

CPU: I7 5820K ($390)
CPU Cooler: Same (if it mounts, or a hyper 212 if that does not mount then any cheap heat sink [$30])
Motherboard: asrock x99 extreme 4 ($200
Memory: 64 gigs of ddr4 (4 sticks of 16 gigs) ($220)
Storage: 2TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (add an identical, or get two new 2+TB harddrives[perfurable])

and a samsung 950 pro 512GB ($320)
Video Card: GTX 980 (Wait for about a week or two these prices will plumit) (should be about 300 or less)
Case: SAME
Power Supply: SAME
Operating System: SAME

Monitor: Asus PB287Q ($428)

price(excluding large hhds) $1888

now for reasoning ya the 5820k has six cores and for editing the more the merrier, it also has 28 pcie lanes so the graphics card(uses 16 lanes) and the m.2 ssd (uses 4 lanes) have full bandwidth and can even add an internal wifi card if you want or some other card. mobo does what it needs to and gets the job done. ram over kill for dota but can be put to use in editing and may be able to use some as a ram cashe to help with scrubbing through the footage and speeding things up in general for editing can be expanded to 128 gigs if you want but 64 in editing is the sweet spot

the 2 2TB hdds is for redundancy. put it in a raid 1 which will then be seen as one 2TB drive but will make a copy of anything saved on it twice once to each drive. this is good for the footage and the projects that you are working on that way if one drive fails you still have everything that you have edited. the ssd is your main drive this is where the os will live and all of your games and application it will allow for anything saved on here to load very quick (this is one of the fastest drives on the market) this drive will however make you unable to use the bottom pci slot on the mobo but if you needed to use them all for some reason then there is a problem. with the 1080 coming out on friday the 980's price will plummet as the 1070, which will come out in about a month, are going to be about 350 to 420 will out perform this card but you do not need the extra power for that so might as well get this card which should be cheaper. also adobe uses cuda acceleration when rendering which means that Nvidia gpus are going to help with render times that is the best 4k monitor that i could find it has the lowest lag out of the ones that i looked at. however i could not even find one 4k monitor that would run at 144hz and this one is only 60hz but it should be fine if you want the more hz then you will have to drop down to a 1440p monitor

Thank you so much for the suggestion I'll definitely use this as a guide for purchasing my new dream setup. Would it also be possible to have a monitor dedicated for some 4k gaming and editing but then a 1440p monitor with a high refresh rate for dota instead?

sorry it took me a while to respond my internet has been spotty at best lately and there is nothing i can do about it at the moment :( but to your question ya that should be possible you would just have to save a little more for the other monitor and change the settings on the computer when you want to use the other monitor. if you want one monitor you could go with an ultrawide not as good for editing (debatable) they have some nice 1440p monitors they are pricy they can be about 1000 dollars for just the monitor but the asus ones can be set to run at about 100hz and they look great

• 3 weeks later...

No problem thanks for answering my second question but i had a few more questions, I was able to squeeze some more money into my budget and decided to buy a gtx 1070, does this conflict with any of the rest of my build as far as comparability. Also I'm struggling to find a ddr4 16gb 4X16gb kit for just $220. Could I get some helping finding that amount of memory for so cheap. But so far in my build I've only purchased the suggested cpu, (1070)graphics card and about to get the internal ssd but I wanted check one more time to get the a okay to purchase the rest of the hardware, thank you again for answering all my questions haha.