Google's Abacus May Do Away With Passwords

It will use a smartphone's sensors to check users' current locations, typing patterns and voice patterns, as well as for facial recognition. It will create a cumulative trust score that will authenticate users so they can unlock their devices or sign into applications.

An API-based security protocol will put personal information in the cloud to some extent, Jude noted, so "the question will be, do you trust your service provider with that kind of information?"

Personally, no.

That always-on feature means users it will be easy to track users -- and with Americans being concerned about surveillance without warrants by the NSA, the FBI and various police agencies, there might be a backlash.

On the other hand, the feature could make it easier to track terrorist or criminal suspects

I'm starting to hate this even more

"This approach to security potentially opens a lot of personal information up to coercive disclosure. I'm just waiting for someone to build a countermeasure that lets users clear a mobile data device with a voice command."

I agree

What do you guys think? Time to break out the tinfoil hat once more?

Source:

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/Googles-Abacus-May-Count-Out-Passwords-83543.html

Edited by Blade of Grass
Edited for night theme compatibility.

So you're telling me that seeing how easy it is to get someone's password through social engineering, how many times simple observation of a person's habits has given way to huge data leaks and how sometimes even encryption can't save you, they thought the logical solution was blindly trusting usage patterns and collecting MORE information to lose?

I'm not the tin-foil hat kind of person but this time it's just a blatant lunge to grab more personal information. The supposed excuse is pathetic to say the least. Anyone who seriously thinks personal data can be protected better by handing part of it over to an external entity is a moron. I don't want Google, my ISP, Samsung, Apple, Microsoft, Huawei or ANYONE else choosing who can or can't access my device. Give me 512bit rsa and I'll gladly take my chances, thank you very much.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Doesn't the NSA already to this to some extent?

I see this being like having houses that don't have locks, but have cameras that can tell by the habits of the occupant whether they are the owner or not. I'd like to not have that camera there and just have a better lock. 

"Oh it looks like he's back on the toilet. Must be that Taco he had yesterday."

"Oh nevermind he's taking the television. Smite him for me George."

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

Goodle.jpg

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

All in the name of catching criminals and terrorists..

I honestly don't think my typing and speaking patterns are always the same. I could see myself getting locked out of my phone multiple times a day, including, but not limited to:

When I wake up

When I get out of bed

When I am done taking a shower

When I am eating and using my phone

When I am occupied with one hand while eating cereal

When I am occupied with two hands while eating cereal

When I am sitting in the car going down a dirt road and my fingers go all hoogily boogily on me

When I am on the bus and my fingers go all hoogily boogily on me

Etc.

he he.. wonder how google will do that on my flip phone

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

10 hours ago, PurpleDido said:

Personally, no.

I'm starting to hate this even more

I agree

What do you guys think? Time to break out the tinfoil hat once more?

Source:

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/Googles-Abacus-May-Count-Out-Passwords-83543.html

Got a typo in the title.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I'll stick with my Yubikey

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

8 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Got a typo in the title.

Fixed it, thanks

I would throw Google off and definitely get locked out, given my personality, typing, and speaking changes based on person to person, or situation to situation.  

15 hours ago, PurpleDido said:

Fixed it, thanks

np

Nice Avatar.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

14 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Nice Avatar.

It's my kitty cat, Meshugena