Plex Server/Gaming Machine using UnRaid

While watching Linus' Gaming PC and NAS in one tower video today I got to thinking about how I could build a similar setup. What I am really wanting is Unraid to power my plex sever (which it can do using docker) with what would be 3 or 4 4TB drives in a RAID 5 while the OS is running in a RAID 0 on 2 Samsung 850 EVO's. In the video he uses 2 1TB SSD's for the cache, but what can be stored on the cache? That is just for data that is going to be written to the array correct? I want SSD performance out of my OS but if the OS cannot sit on the cache would I need a completely separate array of SSD's just to handle the OS?

I'm relatively new to the VM world so any help is appreciated.

1 minute ago, joscross49 said:

i think unraid and storage raid dont go together very well. but a 6800k should be nice for the job.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

I suggest 2 seprate rigs as its easyier to setup and less of a hassle to deal with.

I also reccomend just using Debian/ubuntu/centos as unraid is paid and their storage system is't suited for what doing(unraid likes a big pool of different sized drives.)

Above post isn't useful, where is the fun in quitting that easily?

What will you be doing that you need the OS to run on SSD's for if you don't mind my asking?

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

Why not just run Plex server on your Windows OS for the gaming machine? It doesn't need to be installed standalone, so you'd actually be loosing performance installing them as Virtual machines.

I believe that the SSD cache would not be seen by anything, and will be automatically controlled by Unraid, you may be able to split it and use half for cache and half for the OS though. I've never used Unraid, just speculating here.

VM's aren't something you want to do if you don't have to, it brings a lot of hassles into troubleshooting issues down the line.