Is Maximus VIII Formula worth extra €€€? (Skylake 1440p)

I'm planning my next build and this time is Skylake system

16GB DDR4 3000MHz

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha vs Maximus VIII Formula vs maybe another Z170 great board

Seasonic 750W or EVGA 750W

Some quiet AIO CPU cooler 

SSD 250GB

HDD 6TB

GTX 1080

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX or CM Master Case 5

Now, can you help and advise? Is Maximus VIII Formula worth extra €€€ over Hero Alpha? I'm planning 1400p gaming on Acer XB271HU or Asus PG279Q but to be honest I'm a little bit scared about that QC issues with these G-Sync monitors...

P.S. If you have some other suggestions, please post.

Thanks!

Cosmic Council Department of Defense ; Interplanetary Class 3 Relations & Diplomatic Affairs - OFFICE 117

I buy higher end components so i dont have to waste my time trouble shooting shit/poor products. Might be better warranty and support.

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

No, it's not worth the extra dough.

With the Maximus series of boards you are basically paying for gamer-y features, and the colors scheme.

4 minutes ago, Tic-Tac said:

no

Just now, Luc401 said:

higher end parts break too. and if you choose carefully you wont have big problems. why spend so much money on components which dont effect performance and are mostly bought for looks?

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

1 minute ago, ChrisCross said:

no

higher end parts break too. and if you choose carefully you wont have big problems. why spend so much money on components which dont effect performance and are mostly bought for looks?

Nope dont buy for looks at all, just go for the better support and build.

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

18 minutes ago, Tic-Tac said:

I'm planning my next build and this time is Skylake system

16GB DDR4 3000MHz

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha vs Maximus VIII Formula vs maybe another Z170 great board

Seasonic 750W or EVGA 750W

Some quiet AIO CPU cooler 

SSD 250GB

HDD 6TB

GTX 1080

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX or CM Master Case 5

Now, can you help and advise? Is Maximus VIII Formula worth extra €€€ over Hero Alpha? I'm planning 1400p gaming on Acer XB271HU or Asus PG279Q but to be honest I'm a little bit scared about that QC issues with these G-Sync monitors...

P.S. If you have some other suggestions, please post.

Thanks!

not worth it. waste of cash. 

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Just now, Luc401 said:

Nope dont buy for looks at all, just go for the better support and build.

your going to have better support for x99 but i doubt that you have priority. and its a motherboard. you dont need protection covers, buttons, killer ethernet or rgb lightning ports. you wont use most of the features anyways in a normal desktop. spend the money on a bigger ssd or more ram. 

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

1 minute ago, ChrisCross said:

your going to have better support for x99 but i doubt that you have priority. and its a motherboard. you dont need protection covers, buttons, killer ethernet or rgb lightning ports. you wont use most of the features anyways in a normal desktop. spend the money on a bigger ssd or more ram. 

Literally just buy it for the reliability and not going through bull shit trouble shooting. Its a thing id rather be spending money on, after working in corporations ive developed brand loyalty.

Thanks people! Well, what do you suggest? There are so many Z170 motherboards, I like feature and I/O rich mobo though. I'm not so into all that RGB madness. Do you have any other suggestions about other components? Some quiet AIO maybe? I've pretty much settled for 6700K, 16GB DDR4 3000 and 750W psu so...

Cosmic Council Department of Defense ; Interplanetary Class 3 Relations & Diplomatic Affairs - OFFICE 117

1 minute ago, Luc401 said:

Literally just buy it for the reliability and not going through bull shit trouble shooting. Its a thing id rather be spending money on, after working in corporations ive developed brand loyalty.

brand loyalty is another thing. but whats with a z170-a or pro gaming? they are literally less than half the price and perform the same. and you cant say they arent reliable, they just are!

5 minutes ago, ChrisCross said:

brand loyalty is another thing. but whats with a z170-a or pro gaming? they are literally less than half the price and perform the same. and you cant say they arent reliable, they just are!

Thats like saying a 24 port switch from cisco is the same as a 24 port switch from DLink. Not even close to the same.

Just now, Luc401 said:

Thats like saying a 24 port switch from cisco is the same as a 24 port switch from DLink. Not even close to the same.

i dont say its the same im just saying a mustang is a better sports car than a rolls royce.

sometimes you just dont need to spend much money. and even if it should break (which it wont) and you dont want to deal with the absolute awful support (which of course will be much better if you buy a more expensive board from the same brand...) you can just buy another board and you did still save cash!

Nice reasoning there.

Any suggestions about other components ?