Anyone who dismisses a better DAC as non-essential is incorrect.

TheAudiophile
4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

but.. from my understanding you need $80 worth of passives on top of that?

and i'm nowhere near knowing my shit in the audio field, but "output transformers" doesnt sound cheap xD

You'll be good though. Since you can run your headphones from that as well. So no need to buy an additional AMP or anything.

Source:

3 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

You'll be good though. Since you can run your headphones from that as well. So no need to buy an additional AMP or anything.

Source:

but.. how many deebees does it has? i need it to have much deebees.

(totally not a "how many jpegs is this" ripoff)

9 minutes ago, manikyath said:

but.. from my understanding you need $80 worth of passives on top of that?

and i'm nowhere near knowing my shit in the audio field, but "output transformers" doesnt sound cheap xD

The OP claims that it sounds significantly better even without the extras.

16 minutes ago, SuicideAnomaly said:

Not to mention the unicorn dust. That shit, certainly isn't cheap.

unicorn dust isnt too bad, its the oil of jormungandr thats the issue.

(google that)

Reading the OP, I believe that what you are trying to convey is that proper DACs are necessary to listen to music "correctly". The thing is, most people don't care much about their sound quality. They're perfectly fine listening to music on their crappy motherboard sound chip, which does it's job, if not really exceptionally. I'll give you that much, a proper external DAC does improve the sound a lot. However, it is NOT a necessity. Not for gamers. There is a good reason why so few people have audio cards or externals in their setups. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

14 minutes ago, juretrn said:

Reading the OP, I believe that what you are trying to convey is that proper DACs are necessary to listen to music "correctly". The thing is, most people don't care much about their sound quality. They're perfectly fine listening to music on their crappy motherboard sound chip, which does it's job, if not really exceptionally. I'll give you that much, a proper external DAC does improve the sound a lot. However, it is NOT a necessity. Not for gamers. There is a good reason why so few people have audio cards or externals in their setups. 

Well you see, the OP qualified his statements by saying that they were directed at "audio enthusiasts" even though it doesn't explicitly say that in the OP. It's in a few posts later on.

1 minute ago, SSL said:

Well you see, the OP qualified his statements by saying that they were directed at "audio enthusiasts" even though it doesn't explicitly say that in the OP. It's in a few posts later on.

Then he is on the wrong forum :)

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Just now, juretrn said:

Then he is on the wrong forum :)

We've been trying to point that out for seven pages. There are audio enthusiasts on LTT, but the ones that talk to me do not put store in this kind of stuff.

59 minutes ago, SSL said:

The OP claims that it sounds significantly better even without the extras.

The average budget towards audio gear here on LTT is probably... I honestly want to say well below $100, it's probably in the $50 range. At least when you look at the LTT forum as a whole.

2 hours ago, juretrn said:

--

should maybe put it otherwise: for people with non-superhuman ears integrated audio is maybe 90% there, where maybe a quality dac (specificly not mentioning any brand or kit here.) may be 95% to perfection, in a heavily price per performance oriented community dacs have a very hard time to find their place because of the sheer amount of money you have to invest for little to no benefit over what's already there.

and instead if that money would be spent on headphones, or an actually decent preamp for those headphones that may be a MUCH bigger boost in listening experience (not saying "quality" for a reason) than having a 5% more accurate DAC with a slightly lower noise floor that you'll never hear either way.

--

as for the people recommending external dacs because of interference inside your pc: i fixed that with a piece of aluminium foil and ducktape.

• 2 months later...

I guess im not getting that dac.....

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

4 hours ago, spwath said:

I guess im not getting that dac.....

This is what I figured would happen. As far as I'm concerned, the OP is confirmed for troll at this point.

Good read, enjoyed this one. 

On 5/26/2016 at 10:02 PM, manikyath said:

unicorn dust isnt too bad, its the oil of jormungandr thats the issue.

(google that)

O.oo.O wait what is it?? 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

1 hour ago, Nup said:

Good read, enjoyed this one. 

O.oo.O wait what is it?? 

it's a mythical snake in norse mythology.

it was a very, very vague reference to snake oil :P

12 hours ago, manikyath said:

it's a mythical snake in norse mythology.

it was a very, very vague reference to snake oil :P

I had guessed at that reference. But there seems to be a bunch of beard-care products. Was a definite double surprise :P 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series?