Anyone who dismisses a better DAC as non-essential is incorrect.

TheAudiophile
5 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Well, any added dynamic range would likely be nullified by the physical device plugged into it. Especially speakers.

Well you see, it isn't about measurable performance, it's about hearing deeper into the music. Piano dampers and cymbals sound more lifelike and textured.

2 minutes ago, SSL said:

Well you see, it isn't about measurable performance, it's about hearing deeper into the music. Piano dampers and cymbals sound more lifelike and textured.

Ohh you almost got me there.

8 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Ohh you almost got me there.

I'm deadly serious; it's what the OP reports.

1 minute ago, Majestic said:

Really. If @spwath is willing to send me the wonder DAC in question, I will listen and evaluate against the Modi 2U and my 2004 Sony Walkman.

2 minutes ago, SSL said:

Really. If @spwath is willing to send me the wonder DAC in question, I will listen and evaluate against the Modi 2U and my 2004 Sony Walkman.

I would be willing to send it to you when I have build it, but the shipping cost is insane xD 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

I would be willing to send it to you when I have build it, but the shipping cost is insane xD 

Yeah, not worth it for such a cheap device.

So just pointing out, that unless you actually enjoy soldering and are very familiar with it, this "cheap" solution isn't even viable for the VAST MAJORITY of users here... ESP once you factor the opportunity cost of making it.

Straight up your anecdotal evidence is next to worthless against the mountains of hard blind data saying this just isn't worth it for the VAST MAJORITY of users.

Also seriously wtf man, half the time people come in here asking for sub 50 dollar cans or choosing between shitty-ass headsets, this isn't really an audiophile forum.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

5 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

So just pointing out, that unless you actually enjoy soldering and are very familiar with it, this "cheap" solution isn't even viable for the VAST MAJORITY of users here... ESP once you factor the opportunity cost of making it.

Straight up your anecdotal evidence is next to worthless against the mountains of hard blind data saying this just isn't worth it for the VAST MAJORITY of users.

Also seriously wtf man, half the time people come in here asking for sub 50 dollar cans or choosing between shitty-ass headsets, this isn't really an audiophile forum.

But but but people have pm'd him asking for help because of this thread. Also, soldering is cheap and easy when you consider that this DAC apparently sounds better than most other options, irregardless of price.

Bottom line, a DAC is essential for audio enthusiasts, the target audience of this PSA thread.

4 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

There as only a few audiophiles on this forum I think and most of us are pretty friendly. Yeah even for me that solder once or twice a week it is going to take some time to make this dac.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

On 24/05/2016 at 5:21 PM, TheAudiophile said:

That's what I paid when I bought it and the other components I upgraded it with. Obviously no one has to do it all at once. You're still going to get much improved sound with that DAC no matter what.

$45 Shipped to the UK From the US FOr a fiio e03k and a amp that I cant remember.

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

25 minutes ago, SSL said:

Bottom line, a DAC is essential for audio enthusiasts, the target audience of this PSA thread.

ahahahahahaahahaha good joke xD 

Just bought a Chromecast audio for convenience factor and plugged them behind my A5+ when I want to listen but CBA to turn on PC (handy USB power is handy). Sounds great. They can make such competent and transparent devices for dirt-cheap these days.  

2 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Just bought a Chromecast audio for convenience factor and plugged them behind my A5+ when I want to listen but CBA to turn on PC (handy USB power is handy). 

Sounds great. They can make such competent and transparent for dirt-cheap these days.  

I have a question about the chromecast can I use it with a pc or do I have to use it with a phone?

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

I have a question about the chromecast can I use it with a pc or do I have to use it with a phone?

Depends wether the application runs on your PC's OS. Spotify for example can stream to the chromecast. Even if the chromecast is on wi-fi and you're connected wired.

Depends wether the application runs on your PC's OS. Spotify for example can stream to the chromecast. Even if the chromecast is on wi-fi and you're connected wired.

aww god damn, I would be souch a nice way to set up a system that I could use with all my pc's and with all my programs, maybe I will just get it for spotify then.

4 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

aww god damn, I would be souch a nice way to set up a system that I could use with all my pc's and with all my programs, maybe I will just get it for spotify then.

Think you have to use chrome browser for it though.

https://www.google.com/chromecast/setup/ and then the "download for computer" thingy.

Think you have to use chrome browser for it though.

I already use chrome, the chrome audio cast would be a nice thing to have for parties. :D 

56 minutes ago, SSL said:

Yeah, not worth it for such a cheap device.

Cheap device? Damn it man, we're talking about the advancement of science here!

1 minute ago, Quinnbeast said:

Cheap device? Damn it man, we're talking about the advancement of science here!

On that note, one wonders why someone isn't reselling this thing for $1000 in a polished aluminum chassis, if it sounds so great.

10 minutes ago, SSL said:

On that note, one wonders why someone isn't reselling this thing for $1000 in a polished aluminum chassis, if it sounds so great.

That much I don't know. However, you can get one for £169 on UK Amazon with a CD player and remote control thrown in for free.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marantz-CD5005-CD-Player-Black/dp/B00LGV0HXM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1464203207&sr=1-1&keywords=Marantz+CD5005

14 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

I already use chrome, the chrome audio cast would be a nice thing to have for parties. :D 

You need to use the extension app and chrome browser for everything. just checked and it works for spotify and youtube.

15 minutes ago, SSL said:

Only if it's purified ALU. If it's some impure alloy the compontents will resonate at random frequencies and cause harmonics on the signal.

Don't you know anything?

1 hour ago, SSL said:

I'd send you my Bifrost but I don't want my baby to leave me D:

The Bifrost is a clear winner over the ODAC IMO, but if you asked me to qualify what I hear versus the ODAC, the only thing I could tell you is that the FR seems smoother, less peaks and the body of the music seems fuller without creating an overly warm tone or anything.  My experience, a better DAC is really about the implementation rather than the chip.  The AK4490 is found in a couple of DACs now, but it has multitudes of stock filters (and you can't know which particular one is being used without being told directly) and the analog stage is different depending on who makes it.

For context, I heard 0 difference between my ALC1150 and my ODAC.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

3 minutes ago, Pomfinator said:

I'd send you my Bifrost but I don't want my baby to leave me D:

The Bifrost is a clear winner over the ODAC IMO, but if you asked me to qualify what I hear versus the ODAC, the only thing I could tell you is that the FR seems smoother, less peaks and the body of the music seems fuller without creating an overly warm tone or anything.  My experience, a better DAC is really about the implementation rather than the chip.  The AK4490 is found in a couple of DACs now, but it has multitudes of stock filters (and you can't know which particular one is being used without being told directly) and the analog stage is different depending on who makes it.

For context, I heard 0 difference between my ALC1150 and my ODAC.

I haven't even used my ODAC in months nowxD 

Would you even say the Bifrost is worth it?