Windows Phone sales drops below 1%

102156088.jpg

The minefield of the overly-competitive smartphone market is proving too difficult even for an industry giant like Microsoft. Despite the billions thrown into promoting and developing the WIndows Phone platform, the market response is unapologetically rejective to the offerings from the company... and then some.

Here’s a line you may have read before: Windows Phone had a pretty rough time of it last quarter. While the underdog smartphone OS has always struggled to maintain significant market share, it looks like Microsoft's mobile platform may now be struggling to stay on the market at all. In the first quarter of 2016, Windows Phone’s market share dropped to 0.7%, down from 2.5% in the same quarter of last year, according to Gartner.

The same report from Gartner says that as a whole, the smartphone market growth spurt seems to be coming to an end. In the first quarter of 2015, global smartphone sales grew 19.3% year-over-year. In the first quarter of 2016, they grew by just 3.9%. Still, Windows Phone has fared the worst of the major smartphones in this slowing growth, possibly due to delays in device releases and poor third-party manufacturer interest.

Source #1: http://techreport.com/news/30175/report-windows-phone-market-share-drops-below-1

Source #2: http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/3323017

For the vast majority of the market, it's a simple question:
To Galaxy or to Iphone. 

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

Maybe that's what happens when you make a slow and glitchy OS 

3 minutes ago, DioOmicida said:

-snip-

And that, is a BAD thing. Both are disapointing and theres much better offerings at lower prices... :(. Grr, the lumia 950XL had so much potential!

Groomlake Authority

shame their good phones *cries in a corner with my nokia lumia 820*

Specs: CPU: I5 6600K (4.5 GHZ), GPU: RX 480 (stock), Mobo: MSI Z170A tomahawk AC, RAM: Corsair 16GB drr4 2600, CASE: NZXT S340, storage 240GB crusial SSD and a 1TB WD HHD

27 minutes ago, DioOmicida said:

To Galaxy or to Iphone. 

to me it was V10 or Xiami/1+/Meizu. Opted for the V10 in the end. truly a beast phone. really glad i picked it up

on topic: to be expected when the parent company seemed to treat it like a side project up till this point. Why even release a flagship device if the new OS version clearly isn't even ironed out yet.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Truly a beast phone. really glad i picked it up

Oh, I know there are great phones out there besides those two.
But I think those who buy any other phone are a pretty small minority comparatively.. 

3 minutes ago, DioOmicida said:

Oh, I know there are great phones out there besides those two.
But I think those who buy any other phone are a pretty small minority comparatively.. 

although this trend seems to be dying off (link) ever since the rise of big Chinese OEM

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

SALES!!!! These are SALES!

Sales are down! Not market share!

Please read your sources before posting!

The title of the table that you are talking about is:

"Worldwide Smartphone Sales to End Users by Operating System in 1Q16 (Thousands of Units)"

Notice how they also explain on how Lenovo/Motorola isn't listed as they have no phones yet.

Windows powered phones are down, because Microsoft is not advertising AT ALL the phone. Not even in countries where they were marketshare, like India, or the U.K. And HP super fancy phone mentioned before is not even being sold yet. In fact pretty much all announced manufacture have their phone "in the works". The reason is its not that Microsoft is killing off Windows Phone. It is because it isn't ready. Microsoft themselves said that the release of the Lumia 950 / 950 XL that the phone was for its fans.

Microsoft is going full in the support of the OS. If you are running a Windows 10 Mobile, most likely you are an insider, you are getting new builds every week, almost. With mass number of bug fixes and many improvements as well. Imagine Android getting weekly updates, but done in such way that phone carriers and manufacture can't block the device updates or even firmware updates. This is Windows 10 Mobile right now. Any Windows 10 Mobile user will tell how the OS has changed in the past few months, and improved so much since day 1 of its release.

Basically, what Microsoft is doing now, is what they should have been doing on day 1. Now they are finally taking their mobile OS seriously. If you use the OS, if you give it a serious try, you'll see, at least for me, you'll feel like a solid, complete phone, a phone where you do productive things on the go, as the GUI is designed for that, much like Android. The look of a spruced up MP3 player, is gone. I personally gringe every time I use an app and it is a Windows Phone 8 app. Just frustrating to use. But Windows 10 Mobile, I feel like I was under Windows 10 / Android.

Anyway, all to say, that Microsoft is really not stopping Windows 10 Mobile, and without Windows 10 Mobile, you can't have Windows 10, as it would break the OS identity. The company said that they will focus on businesses/enterprise environment first, which makes sense as this is Microsoft strong point, and the phone integrates perfectly in a company environment / domain network.

There's one guy in my office with some form of a windows phone. That's the only one I've ever seen in the wild. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

6 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

although this trend seems to be dying off (link) ever since the rise of big Chinese OEM

Oh, wow. Cool. I hadn't realized a dent had been made. Not that they are in trouble.

Maybe people are realizing paying $800 for a smart phone doesn't make the most sense. 

Well, they deserve it.  I bought Huawei G8 after two years of using L1020 and one year of using L820 before that. I have a die hard MS fan friend who bought the old HTC Titan(Windows 6), (he didn't jump to L900 cuz the language support, Arabic  wasn't supported) L920, L1520, and L950XL. He switched to Huawei Mate 8 after getting shocked by how shitty was W10M. I changed the phone because I was simply looking for a phone with 3000mAh, 32Gb, 3gb or 2gb ram and 1080p screen. At the time, I didn't find any new WP (L850 wasn't  there and the rumors was disappointing) with these specs. so, I switched to something suitable to my needs and it was Huawei. WP was an excellent system to me it suits my needs very well (efficient system with Good app support and very good browser), but I changed to android to see for how long can I use Android device before switching. 

52 minutes ago, GooDBoY920 said:

Well, they deserve it.  I bought Huawei G8 after two years of using L1020 and one year of using L820 before that. I have a die hard MS fan friend who bought the old HTC Titan(Windows 6), (he didn't jump to L900 cuz the language support, Arabic  wasn't supported) L920, L1520, and L950XL. He switched to Huawei Mate 8 after getting shocked by how shitty was W10M. I changed the phone because I was simply looking for a phone with 3000mAh, 32Gb, 3gb or 2gb ram and 1080p screen. At the time, I didn't find any new WP (L850 wasn't  there and the rumors was disappointing) with these specs. so, I switched to something suitable to my needs and it was Huawei. WP was an excellent system to me it suits my needs very well (efficient system with Good app support and very good browser), but I changed to android to see for how long can I use Android device before switching. 

You have to be on the Fast Ring under Windows 10 Mobile. Microsoft is very slow actually releasing production release. Its been what? only 1-2 update on the production? Microsoft will release the next one at the Anniversary Update (Redstone 1) official release, basically. The company focus is on working on the Fast Ring, and it will continue until Redstone 2, in March, at the expected same time as the Surface Phone.

4 hours ago, DioOmicida said:

To Galaxy or to Iphone. 

Kind of a shame how most people don't even THINK about all the other android phones like the ones from HTC, Moto, or LG...

4 hours ago, BHS4K said:

For me it's the serious lack of 3rd party app support. I don't know if the OS is still glitchy with Windows Phone 10

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

4 minutes ago, Fgtfv567 said:

Kind of a shame how most people don't even THINK about all the other android phones like the ones from HTC, Moto, or LG...

For me it's the serious lack of 3rd party app support. I don't know if the OS is still glitchy with Windows Phone 10

haven't heard any complains from my dad who uses a nokia lumia 950 running windows phone 10 so far

Specs: CPU: I5 6600K (4.5 GHZ), GPU: RX 480 (stock), Mobo: MSI Z170A tomahawk AC, RAM: Corsair 16GB drr4 2600, CASE: NZXT S340, storage 240GB crusial SSD and a 1TB WD HHD

12 hours ago, Fgtfv567 said:

1) Most places have almost no alternatives to mentioned brands via carriers so there are warranty issues. Like my country.

2) To be fair they have some of the best phones out there.

3) Why go pick another brand if I'm more than happy with my current one? For instance I own a LG G2, and have no intention of buying a phone that has no back physical keys, or even worse, has a front one.

I'm not saying I'm for "brand whoring", but there are many reasons why people don't look at other brands. Talking about those that know that other brands exist, not about your typical Samsung or iPhone person.

My carrier has:

Acer, Alcatel, Apple, Azumi, BlackBerry, Coolpad, Emporia, HTC, LG, Microsoft, Nokia, Samsung, Sony, ZTE.

Other carriers also have:

Asus, Lenovo, Huawei, Cat, Meizu, Noa, Zopo, Mobiwire, Philips, Hyundai.

Tell me, honestly, how many brands would you dare choosing? 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

17 hours ago, BHS4K said:

It's not slow nor glitch

13 hours ago, Fgtfv567 said:

It's the 3rd party app support. The OS is mostly good other than one or two issues

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

13 hours ago, kelvindeschutter said:

haven't heard any complains from my dad who uses a nokia lumia 950 running windows phone 10 so far

It's Microsoft lumia lol. Nokia Lumia died 2 years ago.

14 hours ago, Fgtfv567 said:

OMFG. It's Windows 10 Mobile . Not Windows Phone 10. It is an Edition of Windows not a separate version.

17 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

There's one guy in my office with some form of a windows phone. That's the only one I've ever seen in the wild. 

Yeah. You don't see many people using them. I must be one of the only people (if not the only person) in my school who uses one.

17 hours ago, kelvindeschutter said:

shame their good phones *cries in a corner with my nokia lumia 820*

Yeah they're quite decent

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

After four of them with nothing but horrible experiences I am not surprised. Hopefully more and more people refuse to buy their garbage.

The only thing I can say positive things about is the amazing cameras.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

3 minutes ago, Albatross said:

After four of them with nothing but horrible experiences I am not surprised. Hopefully more and more people refuse to buy their garbage.

The only thing I can say positive things about is the amazing cameras.

What is wrong with them? Genuinely interested! I used one every single day and yes there are a couple of issues. But mostly it is fine.

18 hours ago, DuckDodgers said:

The minefield of the overly-competitive smartphone market is proving too difficult even for an industry giant like Microsoft. Despite the billions thrown into promoting and developing the WIndows Phone platform, the market response is unapologetically rejective to the offerings from the company... and then some.

Source #1: http://techreport.com/news/30175/report-windows-phone-market-share-drops-below-1

Source #2: http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/3323017

NOT EVEN BOGOF could save Microsoft this time! :(

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

What is wrong with them? Genuinely interested! I used one every single day and yes there are a couple of issues. But mostly it is fine.

Battery life is poor, or every battery in my phones are shitty (either one is bad), OS is slow and glitchy (10 did not help), the OS apps work like garbage, the phones get HOT, sound is bad and the phones are really huge and heavy.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

1 minute ago, Albatross said:

Battery life is poor, or every battery in my phones are shitty (either one is bad), OS is slow and glitchy (10 did not help), the OS apps work like garbage, the phones get HOT, sound is bad and the phones are really huge and heavy.

Which phones have you experienced this on?

I promise you, 10 on phones is wayyyy better now (other than some apps taking ages to load).

I have never experienced hot phone, bad sound and being huge and heavy sounds like you complaining about a windows phone you probably shouldn't have bought.

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Which phones have you experienced this on?

I promise you, 10 on phones is wayyyy better now (other than some apps taking ages to load).

I have never experienced hot phone, bad sound and being huge and heavy sounds like you complaining about a windows phone you probably shouldn't have bought.

900, 920 and 1520.

Well of course I shouldn't have bought them. They're trash.