AMD Zen processors to have "double the performance of the FX 8350", performance pictures posted

Z3DT

yes please

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

If I'm not mistaken, Cinebench uses floating point, where the FX has one FPU per module, Zen has one per core, so a big performance leap here is expected, I wouldn't count on this to apply to everything.

AMD ! WE NEED MORE POWER !

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

32 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

No it doesn't. When AMD catches up to Intel in instruction latencies, it finally gets difficult to extract more performance (pipeline depth, branch prediction, loop detection, and result forwarding between instructions have already been implemented and have net Intel only 15% more performance on the whole). And if people want to buy more cores when the software ecosystem is just getting out of its diapers in multithreading, that's going to be both a bad investment in the short and long term.

well if they both offer 5960x the price will drop, that's how it always works, look at how GPU price/performance is increasing over the years

that's what I mean by shove, more consumers will have powerful hardware.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

27 minutes ago, Megahurt said:

If I'm not mistaken, Cinebench uses floating point, where the FX has one FPU per module, Zen has one per core, so a big performance leap here is expected, I wouldn't count on this to apply to everything.

No, Cinebench is all integer and int-vector.

FX only had 1 vector unit per module as well.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

16 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

well if they both offer 5960x the price will drop, that's how it always works, look at how GPU price/performance is increasing over the years

that's what I mean by shove, more consumers will have powerful hardware.

Nope, see the original price of the 9590 and Athlon x6. AMD has had many $1000 processors over the years when it's been performance-competitive with Intel.

Price/performance is falling, not rising.

Performance/price is rising.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

3 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Price/performance is falling, not rising.

Performance/price is rising.

yeah my bad I typed it backwards. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

1 hour ago, patrickjp93 said:

No it doesn't. When AMD catches up to Intel in instruction latencies, it finally gets difficult to extract more performance (pipeline depth, branch prediction, loop detection, and result forwarding between instructions have already been implemented and have net Intel only 15% more performance on the whole). And if people want to buy more cores when the software ecosystem is just getting out of its diapers in multithreading, that's going to be both a bad investment in the short and long term.

oh patrick. You are just salty that you sold your AMD stock. Because you know if this is true, you would have been able to cash in on their inevitable stock bump once ZEN is out and benchmarked.

damn 2X the performance of an FX-8350?! that should almost compete with a core i3 or something this time around AMD done messin huh?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

damn 2X the performance of an FX-8350?! that should almost compete with a core i3 or something this time around AMD done messin huh?

better go with the i3. It will be much faster in gaming. Has to be. its intel. Intel cannot be slower in gaming. Impossibru.

6 minutes ago, Prysin said:

once ZEN is out and benchmarked.

see...that's the thing...it's NOT...

those are AMD's slide and we all know what those are...pure BS.

Just look back at AMD's last launch...FuryX...they showed graph in which it was noticeably faster than a TitanX...and claimed it was an ''overclockers dream'' they said that word for word...turns out it's like 15% slower than a titanX and can't overclock shit...so those black AMD slides...take with a huge pinch of salt...always. it's like nvidia claiming 2X the performance of titanX and 3X the efficiency...it's all BS.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Just look back at AMD's last launch...FuryX...they showed graph in which it was noticeably faster than a TitanX...and claimed it was an ''overclockers dream'' they said that word for word...turns out it's like 15% slower than a titanX and can't overclock shit...so those black AMD slides...take with a huge pinch of salt...always. it's like nvidia claiming 2X the performance of titanX and 3X the efficiency...it's all BS.

oh i dont take their word for it. Although, they have been adamant of having met their target 40% perf over Excavator for ages now. However Excavator is just a little bit faster then steamroller at equal clocks, and the cache structure is a real issue from time to time. However AMD claimed Excavator is 30% faster then Steamroller. Which might be true for their 15w SKUs. Where the benefits of excavator would actually come into play.

HOWEVER, at 15w, no SKU is comparable to a full fledged desktop SKU. Not to mention the performance scaling across TDPs have not been well documented for Excavator. So we do not know if its a linear scaling between wattage, clock speeds and actual performance.

SOOOOOO. it may be 2x faster, for reals. But in what scenario? Thermal throttling?

3 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Do you even know the context behind that "overclockers dream" quote that you love to talk about so much? It was made informally, during a Q/A session by an engineer who was in charge of cooling. Now, in that context, the AIO on the Fury X is definitely a superior cooling solution than air cooling and would support overclocking very well. Now when you add in the factor that during the design phase of almost any product, design teams do not see what other teams are doing so the engineer that made that comment likely had no idea about the performance of the core itself. 

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

Yes please! If so i'll switch to AMD. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Lets just hope AMD stop using its competitors CPU when testing its own GPU's. A lot of people don't know that,& yet still think FX is good lmao, if it was good AMD would use in its own tests. AMD will hold an L for that a long time. 

6 minutes ago, Demonking said:

Lets just hope AMD stop using its competitors CPU when testing its own GPU's. A lot of people don't know that,& yet still think FX is good lmao, if it was good AMD would use in its own tests. AMD will hold an L for that a long time. 

AMD usually lists the setup in the type of benchmark you're referring to, so the inability of people to read that the performance was achieved with an Intel processor should not make AMD accountable for that. But yes, it's most likely that AMD will stop testing with Intel products the moment Zen is deployed (where applicable of course).

3 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

I was expecting 4790K performance but 5960X? hard to believe honestly

I think the new CPUs will perform like a 3770k or 4790k in games, but like an i7-4930K to 5960X in heavy, fully threaded workloads.

It's really going to be a mixed bag during the reviews. It really needs to be priced well ($300-$500, no $600-$1,000 bull...) for it to be recommended. It's just that Intel will still have %5-%15 better gaming performance with an i5-7650k or an i7-7750k (Kaby Lake) and better fully threaded "professional" performance with an i7-6800K, i7-6900K, or even an i7-7850k (Skylake-E). There is also the AM4 platform that remains to be seen, in terms of fleshed out features. That will compete with the 200-series motherboards and next generation X119 motherboards.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

I need CPU horsepower for my map compiling, so if AMD is going all out with Zen and the performance is on-par with at least Haswell at an AMD price point I might go all AMD for my next PC, including something like a 480(X).

Ye ole' train

I really am looking forward to my upgrade this Autumn.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

3 hours ago, Prysin said:

oh patrick. You are just salty that you sold your AMD stock. Because you know if this is true, you would have been able to cash in on their inevitable stock bump once ZEN is out and benchmarked.

No, I sold mine two days ago.

I know better than to listen to AMD marketing hype with how well Bulldozer went down.

CPU: Intel Core i3 4370 (3.8GHz, 2C/4T) GPU: AMD R9 380X 4GB

58 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Patrick oh Patrick. Why didnt you wait till after Computex and E3. That is when the Press would know more and the stocks would start seeing movement.

Nope, because it's very stable and going nowhere for now. I can repurchase closer to the conference if needed, or start shorting.

I more or less expected performance of Zen to be somewhere like this. Move from CMT to SMT with new architecture from ground up and on new node, it's quite expected. That 40% IPC improvement over Excavator also says something.

So if Zen is really 2x faster than FX8350 (which I have) then that's great and would definitely upgrade.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Where does it say 2x? The bar being 2 times higher doesn't mean shit if there's no scale. Orochi can be 1x, which makes Summit 1.5x just like on the left chart.