ReVive developers bypass Oculus DRM entirely

GeekPower0

Just days after Oculus implemented their new DRM, the Revive developers have found a way around it. The new version disables the games' ownership check functionality, which has the side effect of enabling piracy.

Revive originally let owners of an HTC Vive enjoy Oculus-only titles by mimicking elements of the Rift's internal functionality in a Vive-friendly format, but the game-ownership checks remained. One of Revive's developers told Motherboard that the updated Revive cuts out the ownership checks completely. It's not their intention to circumvent the DRM completely. The developers claim they just want a tools that lets them use software they own on hardware they own. If the Revive team finds a way to offer their intended functionality without bypassing DRM, they will implement it.

Source: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/oculus-new-drm-just-made-pirating-games-way-easier

Via: http://www.engadget.com/2016/05/23/oculus-drm-vr-piracy/

This is hilarious. As a result of them trying to lock down the platform so much people have cracked it and allowed piracy xD.

People should be allowed to do what they want with their own hardware and games.

Smile and wave boys, smile and wave...

Foxy(Main Rig): CPU: i7 4790k GPU: 2x Reference GTX 980's RAM: HyperX 4x4GB 

PSU: Corsair CX 750W Mobo: ASUS Z97-A Pro Case: Bitfenix Shinobi (Black & Gold)

Good job Oculus, you've made the situation worse while also getting tons of bad press while doing it. 

Also from the source:

Oculus was quick to call it a hack, and said that players shouldn't expect it to continue working as it updates its software.

Libre VR told Motherboard that it took him less than 24 hours to get around it.

So the DRM war begins. So Oculus plans to prolong the bad press, as well as constantly frustrating their users as the games begin to work, then break, then work again. If they were smart they'd revert back to the old system and forget this ever happened.  

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Some of the prices for the games are a little crazy and with the lack of refunds and lack of demos I imagine lots of people would result to piracy. The climb for example is £40, no way in hell do I think k it's worth that. £20-25 maybe but not that. I understand that making a VR game is certainly a risk and the market is quite small for it but still. Me wants cheap games, haven't paid that much for a game since I was on console. Last game I payed close to that was fallout 4 and that has much more game. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

GG, OC*ckus, GG. People buying your overpriced shit and you fuck them over...

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

#rekt

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 hour ago, werto165 said:

Some of the prices for the games are a little crazy

While that's entirely true, it's a necessity with how tiny the VR market is at this point. Even if it was 1% the size of the total PC market (it's actually less), that still means prices would have to be 100 times as high given identical budgets and attach rates. As is, they're going with much lower budgets, high prices, and hoping for high attach rates because there isn't a huge pile of VR content yet.

As VR adoption increases, content should get considerably better and/or cheaper.

1 minute ago, Sakkura said:

While that's entirely true, it's a necessity with how tiny the VR market is at this point. Even if it was 1% the size of the total PC market (it's actually less), that still means prices would have to be 100 times as high given identical budgets and attach rates. As is, they're going with much lower budgets, high prices, and hoping for high attach rates because there isn't a huge pile of VR content yet.

As VR adoption increases, content should get considerably better and/or cheaper.

It's the early adopter tax at it again.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

this is the kind of bullshit that would see me buying the vive over the rift

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

I had an Oculus order but when it said it wasn't coming until August and with this press lately I canceled and bought a Vive. It comes tommorow, which is a hell of a lot better than August :)

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

I've had a DK2 for a long while and still enjoying it, but if I go for a retail HMD in the future its probably going to be Vive, despite a higher cost.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

part of the problem here I believe is that facebook is not used to dealing with the PC gaming community. They don't understand the PC enthusiast community or what is normal and what is frowned upon. You have two HMDs which are very similar, run on the same OS and both have their SDKs publicly documented. In this environment of course modders are gonna make games work, if you try to fight them you will probably just drive yourself crazy.

Shall we get #Cockulus trending?

The biggest  BURNOUT  fanboy on this forum.

And probably the world.

3 hours ago, Briggsy said:

I've had a DK2 for a long while and still enjoying it, but if I go for a retail HMD in the future its probably going to be Vive, despite a higher cost.

If you factor in the likely cost of Touch for the Rift, the Vive probably isn't more expensive anyway. At least with the exception of places where shipping costs murder the Vive pricing...

2 hours ago, Humbug said:

part of the problem here I believe is that facebook is not used to dealing with the PC gaming community. They don't understand the PC enthusiast community or what is normal and what is frowned upon. You have two HMDs which are very similar, run on the same OS and both have their SDKs publicly documented. In this environment of course modders are gonna make games work, if you try to fight them you will probably just drive yourself crazy.

They could have asked some of the Oculus people who are definitely very used to dealing with the PC gaming community.

An anti-piracy update for the Oculus virtual reality platform has been cracked within a day of release.

The update lets games verify that they were legitimately purchased and are running on an approved Oculus device.

It also breaks an unofficial patch called Revive that lets Oculus-only games run on rival devices.

But Revive's creator found he could disable digital rights management (DRM) in Oculus titles completely to keep the patch working.

That also stops software from verifying it has been legally purchased, paving the way for pirates to copy Oculus games.

source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36358517

in before oculus starts using denuvo drm 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Ok then. well honestly what did they expect to happen, if you take someones freedome away there going to do what they can to reclaim it

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

VR is a peripheral, we need open standards for it to work and survive

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Just now, ShadowCaptain said:

If done properly, it doesn't need to have open standards / open source.  It could have a much better experience if it was PROPERLY closed off.  That way things would all be validated to work properly, rather than everybody throwing their name in the hat.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

3 minutes ago, Lays said:

If done properly, it doesn't need to have open standards / open source.  It could have a much better experience if it was PROPERLY closed off.  That way things would all be validated to work properly, rather than everybody throwing their name in the hat.

Not open source, I meant standardisation

like, Displayport, HDMI, USB C, they are standards, and VR needs a set of standards that mean that any manufacturers VR headset will work on all software

i dont want to have to buy 10 different headsets just to play 10 different games

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

When will they learn that DRM is only annoying legit buyers.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

23 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

If their intention is "we want the games designed for Oculus work best they possibly can" then it makes sense to lock it down and avoid negative reviews from people playing the Oculus games on VIVE. 

They are VR headsets but I believe their controllers are little different and thats where things could get tricky.

IMO games should be designed with VIVE in mind since these are the two best headsets to date.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

3 minutes ago, Thony said:

SNIP

Yeah I understand that mentality, ie "game best experienced with our hardware"

but its going to be annoying having exclusive titles on PC that require specific hardware to work