AMD ZEN dieshot and structure

Lawliet93

New and exciting news came to us my friends.

Apparently, there have been some dieshots of the new AMD ZEN architecture floating around.

http://semiaccurate.com/2016/05/22/38688/

http://dresdenboy.blogspot.cz/2016/05/first-amd-summit-ridge-wafer-spotted.html

There have even been some performance estimations regarding the IPC of the new architecture and it looks nice. It should be around IVY BRIDGE level of performance (according to a Czech website called pctuning.cz ) and as to the progress (or should I say...stagnation) of the blue team, Zen should be very competitive. There has been like a 15% Difference in IPC going from IVY to Skylake and with DDR4 things could get interesting.

That's disappointing, that they're still 4 years behind Intel in the IPC department. I can only hope for higher clock speeds and a competitive price.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

Sub £200 octocore please. 

Not gonna happen... AMD is no charity, they need to make money and if they make a eight-core CPU, that´s above intels six-core ones (the 5930k goes around 600 euros where I live) than, they will charge an adequate amount of money for it.

2 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

With Ivy IPC

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

3 minutes ago, Lawliet93 said:

Not gonna happen... AMD is no charity, they need to make money and if they make a eight-core CPU, that´s above intels six-core ones (the 5930k goes around 600 euros where I live) than, they will charge an adequate amount of money for it.

Price something like this low enough and people everywhere will want one. I mean, an octocore for £230~ is tempting, no?

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

2 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Price something like this low enough and people everywhere will want one. I mean, an octocore for £230~ is tempting, no?

AND how much money should AMD make on this 230 pound CPU? They need at least a margin of 30%, 50% would be even better. What good is it, if AMD can´t make any money on a well performing part?

5 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

But this is what happened to the original FX CPUs...everyone who had it only really bought it cause they saw high clock speeds and more cores compared to intel's i5 equivalent (in terms of price)...so...yeah...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

9 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Yup, that's a good strategy. I think Lamborghinis should sell for about $1000, then their sales would increase dramatically - I mean everyone would buy one, right? 

As for IPC. It's all guessing games. Some say Ivy Bridge, others say Haswell, others say Broadwell, even some say below Skylake. Maybe the guessing games should stop and we can wait til something tangible comes along. 

16 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

"Dreiieiieam, dream, dream, dream
Dreiieiieam, dream, dream, dream

When I want you, in my case
When I want you, and all your IPC
Whenever I want you, all I have to do is
Dreiieiiieam, dream, dream, dream

When I feel slow, in my games
And I need you, to turbo boost
Whenever I want you, all I have to do is
Dreiieiieam

I can make you mine, test your FPU
Anytime night or day
Only trouble is, gee whiz
Im dreamin my life away "

That said.  I second that request!

5 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

But this is what happened to the original FX CPUs...everyone who had it only really bought it cause they saw high clock speeds and more cores compared to intel's i5 equivalent (in terms of price)...so...yeah...

But this time if they do have IPC comparable to ivy it should help with overall performance. Seriously though, a sub £250 octocore... Pls be real. 

5 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Yup, that's a good strategy. I think Lamborghinis should sell for about $1000, then their sales would increase dramatically - I mean everyone would buy one, right? 

As for IPC. It's all guessing games. Some say Ivy Bridge, others say Haswell, others say Broadwell, even some say below Skylake. Maybe the guessing games should stop and we can wait til something tangible comes along. 

My logic is always flawed in some way :D Idea was that if you price something just right people will buy it and you'd still be able to cover the costs of manufacturing and such. If they price this above £350 everyone would just buy a 6700k or something and completely forget about AMD. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

4 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

But this time if they do have IPC comparable to ivy it should help with overall performance. Seriously though, a sub £250 octocore... Pls be real. 

My logic is always flawed in some way :D Idea was that if you price something just right people will buy it and you'd still be able to cover the costs of manufacturing and such. If they price this above £350 everyone would just buy a 6700k or something and completely forget about AMD. 

Well the 8350 is sub 150 so you've already got it :)

3 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

With decent per core performance*

Hehe, fair enough :D (plus it should be very OCable so once OCed it's as fast as intel's extreme processors...aka broadwell-e)

8 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Why would anyone get an Intel 4 core + 4 hyperthread over alleged AMD 8 core + 8 hyperthread but at a slight IPC loss for the same price? It's not even in the same performance group.

AMD will price it according to its performance in comparison to Intel equivalent. If everything else is the same and difference in performance is 15% then the price would be 15% lower, roughly speaking.

32 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

If we assume competitive IPC, that makes no sense. They aren't comparable. You're saying you need 8c/16t but you'll settle for 4c/8t because it's made by Intel. For gaming, you'd probably be better off with the 6700k. Most games scale better with extra clock speed than extra cores and the likes of 6700K can achieve higher clock speed than a 5960X.

In either case, it would be silly to make an enthusiast product and sell it for mainstream prices. If you need 8 cores, you either pay Intel $999 or pay AMD their asking price. Probably above $800. You can't go anywhere else. You have no other options, unless you're willing to settle for much less. You pay a premium to get more than 4 cores, that's just how the market is. 

9 minutes ago, Mister Snow said:

Why would anyone get an Intel 4 core + 4 hyperthread over alleged AMD 8 core + 8 hyperthread but at a slight IPC loss for the same price? It's not even in the same performance group.

AMD will price it according to its performance in comparison to Intel equivalent. If everything else is the same and difference in performance is 15% then the price would be 15% lower, roughly speaking.

OT: Wings of freedom!!!! You are the coolest!!!!!

1 hour ago, TheRandomness said:

not going to happen . AMD said they will be competing with intel in performance , not just in  price. If they have about a haswell IPC , you could expect a 500$ 8 core cpu.

When the athlon 64 x2 came out it was priced at around that price ( or even more )

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

31 minutes ago, Mister Snow said:

Single Threaded workloads are still pretty important in gaming, actually when the multicore performance is leveraged AMD's current CPUs to get a little better of a score closer to the mainstream i5s and i7s...

Personally I'm not going to hold my breath for Zen FX, also in part I don't want to wait until like the end of 2016 or early 2017 to get one... Because I'm hoping to build my PC sometime later this summer or early fall I'm going to go with an i5 6600K, a 4 core, 4 threaded, 14nm CPU that has been proven to be a good performer. Won't rest on speculation at least for Chipsets and Sockets...

Speculation might be a little more reliable for GPUs.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

High IPC, low TDP. Please, and make it actually viable on mITX boards as well. I would totally replace my 4570 with Zen if it's fast enough and low power enough.

So I know there's nothing to give scale in the image but those dies look MASSIVE, or is it just me?

Anyway the article goes on to say that a lot of clever people seem to agree that the one in the mage is a 4 core with 8mb L3 Cache though how they can tell that just by looking at that picture is beyond me.

Also AMD posted some Linux kernel patches referencing GMI which is believed to stand for Global Memory Interconnect too.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Also found this....

Zen die 2a_perspective_corrected_shrunk.png

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

This is actually brilliant news. That would be more than powerful enough for most games. Provided the price is right. It'll be perfect!

Smile and wave boys, smile and wave...

Foxy(Main Rig): CPU: i7 4790k GPU: 2x Reference GTX 980's RAM: HyperX 4x4GB 

PSU: Corsair CX 750W Mobo: ASUS Z97-A Pro Case: Bitfenix Shinobi (Black & Gold)

10 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Single Threaded workloads are still pretty important in gaming, actually when the multicore performance is leveraged AMD's current CPUs to get a little better of a score closer to the mainstream i5s and i7s...

Personally I'm not going to hold my breath for Zen FX, also in part I don't want to wait until like the end of 2016 or early 2017 to get one... Because I'm hoping to build my PC sometime later this summer or early fall I'm going to go with an i5 6600K, a 4 core, 4 threaded, 14nm CPU that has been proven to be a good performer. Won't rest on speculation at least for Chipsets and Sockets...

Speculation might be a little more reliable for GPUs.

I agree. But that is why you wouldn't get x99 platform for gaming, single threaded performance is lower than some i5 because of lower clock speeds and you don't need 16 threads for gaming so no benefits there.

My point was that Zen CPU won't cost much less than equivalent performing Intel one.

2 minutes ago, Mister Snow said:

I agree. But that is why you wouldn't get x99 platform for gaming, single threaded performance is lower than some i5 because of lower clock speeds and you don't need 16 threads for gaming so no benefits there.

My point was that Zen CPU won't cost much less than equivalent performing Intel one.

Ah okay, well still I think AMD needs to work on their single threaded IPC. But yeah if an 8 Core Zen FX CPU  had the near the single core score of like an i5 or i7 from Z97/Z170 but a multicore score of something from X99 around $300 to $400, I think then AMD has got something pretty good.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization