Nvidia Geforce GTX 280

Does anyone know how well an Nvidia GTX 280 works with games like minecraft, and some other games like cod and cs:go?

1 minute ago, SpartanGamer_Original said:

Does anyone know how well an Nvidia GTX 280 works with games like minecraft, and some other games like cod and cs:go?

Can't provide concrete facts but my guess would be, not that well? I mean considering its a 2nd gen card, its probably collected some dust and the drives must be terrible. I think an iGPU (the gpu that comes with your CPU) would be better. If by COD you mean anything above Black Ops (the first one) then most likely no, and cs:go maybe (I had a friend who had a 3 year old gateway laptop barely scrap by). Minecraft maybe as well, because its more CPU bound than GPU.

Honestly these are my "educated" guesses, so take them with a grain of salt.

Also, welcome to the forums. :D

I used to have a GTS 250, it worked very well with vanilla Minecraft.

Issues arise when there are fancy particle effects in games on that card however (most magic in Skyrim etc)

Edit: It also worked fine with CoD:MW2

Thanks. Yeah im asking because i bought one and i need a better power supply to power it. I thought id do some research before i bought it tho so i guess it was a ripoff?

See but i built my computer and barely have any money to spend. I have a Mini itx motherboard with 4 gigs of ddr3 ram and no graphics card and need something for youtube. could you reccomend a good cheap graphics card for youtube and just gaming?

6 minutes ago, SpartanGamer_Original said:

See but i built my computer and barely have any money to spend. I have a Mini itx motherboard with 4 gigs of ddr3 ram and no graphics card and need something for youtube. could you reccomend a good cheap graphics card for youtube and just gaming?

What is the budget that you have? You don't want to spend small amount of money for a stupid GPU because it's not great performance per $.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

At GT- Series card will do for videos and light gaming. But the iGPU of your CPU (integrated) performs just as well for no extra money. A GT730 or GT740 cost around 50€ here in Germany.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X PBO GPU: Asus Strix RTX 3090 OC Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600Mhz CL17

CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i Capillex Storage: Samsung 980 Pro and 970 Evo 1TB Samsung 860 EVO 1TB Crucial MX300 525GB WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX1000 Case: Corsair 500D SE RGB 6x LL120

12 minutes ago, SpartanGamer_Original said:

The thing is that we need some more info ...

Wich CPU you have atm?

How big is the PSU (and wich one?)

How flashy you want to game (wich resolution, wich mods for Minecraft etc)

How much can you spend on the GPU? (since we maybe could save at least enough to afford 4GB extra DDR3 if you use only 1 slot of the mini ITX MOBO)

But without any informations for up to 1080p ... on a "low" pricetag (wich I set by 80-175$ for used) maybe a r9 270X (R9 280 or 280x) or a GTX 770 if you can afford them a GTX 750 ti should at least run the most multiplayer games on mid, too

• 7 months later...
On 23/05/2016 at 5:43 PM, SpartanGamer_Original said:

I have a gtx 280 with intel core 2 duo e8500 cpu and i get lowest 90 to highest 170 fps on everything high on csgo and for cod bo3 i get 60-80 fps ultra settings

Should have bought an used 400's 500's GTX frankly...

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I used to have a gtx 280. For minecraft it's fine as long as you don't use any heavy texture mods. It will struggle then. Also be warned mine did run very hot, but in the day it was a powerhouse for gaming. 

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

You can find good used gpus like the Radeon HD5870, or the Radeon 7770 and GTX 750Ti and some Kepler GPUs like GTX 680 or the GTX 760 all used.

15 minutes ago, FTL said:

You can find good used gpus like the Radeon HD5870, or the Radeon 7770 and GTX 750Ti and some Kepler GPUs like GTX 680 or the GTX 760 all used.

Scratch those older cards, the HD 7870 (R9 270X) can be found for quite cheap. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats