Cheero Grip 2  5200 mAh

Amazon: http://geni.us/3L4h

Aukey Lipstick-style 5000 mAh

Amazon: http://geni.us/2sYJ

Xiaomi Silver Powerbank 5000 mAh

Amazon: http://geni.us/1PGG

ELEGIANT 5600 mAh

Amazon: http://geni.us/sm2

Does brand matter when it comes to battery banks?

Been banking on this for a while.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

What happened to the Patriot Fuel+ banks that LMG had? Or they just ignored it and used what the community has...

23 minutes ago, ThatCoolBlueKidd said:

Been banking on this for a while.

Bazinga.

18 minutes ago, Bubblewhale said:

What happened to the Patriot Fuel+ banks that LMG had? Or they just ignored it and used what the community has...

To my knowledge the bank selection here was pretty much based on the community poll.

The measurement methodology looks... less than reliable.

How hard would it have been to just wire the batteries up to some resistors and ammeters/voltmeters/oscillographs/whatever  outputing measurements to a computer?

PLEASE QUOTE ME. THAT WOULD MEAN THAT 1 PERSON WHO HAS ACKNOWLEDGED LINUS WILL HAVE ACKNOWLEDGED ME. I'M LIKE A MEGAFAN SO...

I've heard that they charge a fortune :)

[Case Mod] Operation: The Division --- > Here

[CUSTOM WATER COOLED TABLE] Project: Ravage ---> Here

-== QUOTE ME IN YOUR REPLY IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND ==-

1 hour ago, TrigrH said:

I don't think the CSF video listed at the end is out yet?

Actually it is, it's just a super old one :P

Not sure why we teased that in the corner when he refers to the most recent video but... you only Liao once, amirite?

Why did  you use Iphones to draw power? Why not use an adjustable meter to exactly dial in the draw from to batterys and then claculating the real mAh in each battery over an average of say 5 or 10 cycles so you could show how many of the power printed onto the label was really there?

With attached iphones the variables are so huge that you can hardly call this a real test.

first thing i thought with the cheap power bank was "they should send this thing to thebigclovedotcom for a teardown or do it themselves" :P

Hey Linus, you might want to add a small annotation to your battery bank video. The XiaoMi charger that you listed in the video for $30 is actually closer to about $10 canadian, which I believe would skew the test in favor of the XiaoMi Battery bank. The only reason the XiaoMi appears so expensive in North America is due to retailers who resell the product from China. If you were to buy it direct from China and have it shipped, It would cost at most $15.

1 hour ago, dygital said:

Hey Linus, you might want to add a small annotation to your battery bank video. The XiaoMi charger that you listed in the video for $30 is actually closer to about $10 canadian, which I believe would skew the test in favor of the XiaoMi Battery bank. The only reason the XiaoMi appears so expensive in North America is due to retailers who resell the product from China. If you were to buy it direct from China and have it shipped, It would cost at most $15.

this is true. 5000mah is around 15$ direct from china. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

The only one of those brands that has battery banks that you can buy from Norwegian stores is Mophie.

I wish they would have tested brands like Asus, Samung, TP-Link or Delaco or others like that, because those are the battery brands that most get in Norway.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

The Average output for a Battery Bank is  5Volts @ 1 Amp or 700mAh a decent Bank will use  5volts @ 2amps. 

But with Samsung's 5200mAh Fast Charge battery pack it is able to put out 9.5Volts @ 1.67amps. 

Allowing me to Fast Charge my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge (aka  zero to up to 50% in about 30 minutes).

But still letting me charge my other electronics with 5volts @ 2amps.

Couldn't ask for a better Battery Bank for the size.

Now we just need that special battery tech they talked about on WAN show a while back that can take hundreds of thousands of recharges without losing capacity... batteries wearing out really bugs me :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Something that seems to have been massively missed here is mAh isn't what you want to be measuring in when doing something like this, you want to be measuring in Watts. Let's say the phones internal battery is 3v. If it has a capacity of 1000mAh, that would mean it has 3Wh of power inside the battery however if it was at 6v, but 1000mAh, that's 6W. But going by this test they have the same capacity. The thing to remember and to check is if they are advertising mAh at 5v, or mAh at their internal battery voltage.

Most lithium banks will have an internal battery voltage of about 3.6v if they are standard cells. So if they are advertising as a 5000mAh pack, that could either mean 18Wh or 25Wh depending if that 5000mAh refers to the batteries 3.6v output, or the chargers 5v output. That is a massive difference. To put that into an example, the Galaxy S7 Edge, the phone I use, has a battery of 4.4v, with 3600mAh. That's 15.84Wh.

TL;DR measuring stuff in mAh is stupid as the phones mAh is probably different to the battery packs, and all the battery packs will be different.

5 hours ago, geoguy180 said:

Something that seems to have been massively missed here is mAh isn't what you want to be measuring in when doing something like this, you want to be measuring in Watts. Let's say the phones internal battery is 3v. If it has a capacity of 1000mAh, that would mean it has 3Wh of power inside the battery however if it was at 6v, but 1000mAh, that's 6W. But going by this test they have the same capacity. The thing to remember and to check is if they are advertising mAh at 5v, or mAh at their internal battery voltage.

Most lithium banks will have an internal battery voltage of about 3.6v if they are standard cells. So if they are advertising as a 5000mAh pack, that could either mean 18Wh or 25Wh depending if that 5000mAh refers to the batteries 3.6v output, or the chargers 5v output. That is a massive difference. To put that into an example, the Galaxy S7 Edge, the phone I use, has a battery of 4.4v, with 3600mAh. That's 15.84Wh.

TL;DR measuring stuff in mAh is stupid as the phones mAh is probably different to the battery packs, and all the battery packs will be different.

The mAh measurement may be somwhat meaningless, but he used the same phone for all tests and how many times they charged the phones is a real world measurement of how well they perform.

PS: The battery pack I like the most is my APC branded battery that has a 2A and a 1A output port and a 1.5 input. Its special feature is that it can charge itself while charging something else. Though, when you stop charging it, the outputs stop providing power. So you can't use it as a UPS.

Edited by xnamkcor

I know they only briefly covered it in the video, but what do you all think is a good portable charger for a laptop? I have a Surface Pro 3 that I'm gonna take over to Europe (from Minneapolis) and I would like it to last the flight over if possible.