Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lord_Karango17

Newegg refurbished XB270HU worth it?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

So I have had a dell u2515h for over a year now, and have been loving my first experience with 1440p and ips. One issue that has still persisted is the refresh rate as my previous monitor was a high refreshrate 1080p monitor.

Because of that I have been looking around for a 1440p gsync panel, that had both 144hz and ips, and the acer XB270HU is a pretty good match. The only problem is that its retail price is just stupid high here in Canada, and me being a college student, I have other things to save up for. While newegg (one of the only places I look for electronics for) does not sell used components, they seem to have refurbished items up for sale every now and then, one of them being the XB270HU.

 

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009852&cm_re=XB270HU-_-24-009-852-_-Product

 

The price is nearly 50% off, and they dont do a great job with outlining what refurbished actually means in terms of the monitor, so I have just been going off the user reviews, of which there are many. The issue is that they are very mixed, and while some luck out with a perfect panel, many seem to have issues with packaging or issues with the panel like backlight bleed or dead pixels. Does their refurbished just mean repackaging units that were returned form people who bought it full price?

 

tldr, is it worth getting the monitor and just returning it if there is an issue? 40% off seems a bit too good to be true if the monitor has no issues.


Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought mine used from Ebay for $465 and I think it was defiantly worth it. Still had the plastic on it to peel off. 

 

Mine does have a few dead pixels but luckily they are all near the edges of the screen. One is near the top left and the other few are near the bottom right. Literally undetectable unless you have single color, uniform background, AND are 2in from the screen looking for them. 

 

I came from a 60hz 1080p pls monitor, so every single thing about my upgrade was totally worth it. You on the other hand, already have a 1440p ips monitor. I would still say the gsync and high refresh rate are huge pros and are must haves, but maybe you could sell your old monitor(s) and recoup the costs? Just a thought, I kept my old 1080p monitor to go portrait style next to my XB270HU :)

 

TLDR: I think the SLIGHT defects in referbs/used XB270HU's warrant the extremely discounted price for such an amaze-balls monitor. 

 

P.S. Maybe consider a vr headset instead?


CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
15 minutes ago, boboman342 said:

I bought mine used from Ebay for $465 and I think it was defiantly worth it. Still had the plastic on it to peel off. 

 

Mine does have a few dead pixels but luckily they are all near the edges of the screen. One is near the top left and the other few are near the bottom right. Literally undetectable unless you have single color, uniform background, AND are 2in from the screen looking for them. 

 

I came from a 60hz 1080p pls monitor, so every single thing about my upgrade was totally worth it. You on the other hand, already have a 1440p ips monitor. I would still say the gsync and high refresh rate are huge pros and are must haves, but maybe you could sell your old monitor(s) and recoup the costs? Just a thought, I kept my old 1080p monitor to go portrait style next to my XB270HU :)

 

TLDR: I think the SLIGHT defects in referbs/used XB270HU's warrant the extremely discounted price for such an amaze-balls monitor. 

 

P.S. Maybe consider a vr headset instead?

Yeah, I had a stuck pixel on the dell the first time around, and had to get a rma. I would like to have a panel without any dead pixels, as I'm a stickler for that kind of thing, however my only experience with them was when it was right in the middle of the screen, and far more visible. Considering I wouldn't even have enough money to get any high refresh rate 1440p monitor new here (most are over 1000CAD) I think it would be a trade off I would have to make. In any case I could try a rma and see if I get lucky with a good panel.

 

On the point of getting a vr headset, their price make it something that isnt super appealing to me as their dont have nearly the functionality that a monitor does, and if I were to get the acer monitor, I would be able to recoup some of the costs by selling the dell when I go back to Norway for the summer (Generally can sell it for a higher price, because of the higher retail pricing for everything). I wouldn't even have the desk space to keep the dell even if I wanted to.


Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Lord_Karango17 said:

Yeah, I had a stuck pixel on the dell the first time around, and had to get a rma. I would like to have a panel without any dead pixels, as I'm a stickler for that kind of thing, however my only experience with them was when it was right in the middle of the screen, and far more visible. Considering I wouldn't even have enough money to get any high refresh rate 1440p monitor new here (most are over 1000CAD) I think it would be a trade off I would have to make. In any case I could try a rma and see if I get lucky with a good panel.

 

On the point of getting a vr headset, their price make it something that isnt super appealing to me as their dont have nearly the functionality that a monitor does, and if I were to get the acer monitor, I would be able to recoup some of the costs by selling the dell when I go back to Norway for the summer (Generally can sell it for a higher price, because of the higher retail pricing for everything). I wouldn't even have the desk space to keep the dell even if I wanted to.

Well if you are the kind of person that really wants a perfect monitor, (and for the cost of a monitor like this) you should have one. Those xr34's that are $1,000 shouldn't ever have anything wrong with them, but most do sadly. I would try to find a store that sells/stocks them so you don't have to wait weeks for an rma until you get a perfect one, unless stores won't let you constantly return/re-buy the same thing again and again lol.

 

Edit: Oh shit, 1k posts. Woot


CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
9 hours ago, boboman342 said:

Well if you are the kind of person that really wants a perfect monitor, (and for the cost of a monitor like this) you should have one. Those xr34's that are $1,000 shouldn't ever have anything wrong with them, but most do sadly. I would try to find a store that sells/stocks them so you don't have to wait weeks for an rma until you get a perfect one, unless stores won't let you constantly return/re-buy the same thing again and again lol.

 

Edit: Oh shit, 1k posts. Woot

Yeah... my plans to get a new monitor are a ways away (likely some time at the end of this year), so I will wait till then to see if anything new happens. Monitor tech was moving pretty quick for a while there, but it seems to have slowed now.


Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×