The Hate on Seagate...

51 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

A lot of the hate spawns from misinformation by BackBlaze, who put refurbished and external Seagate drives into data centre environments, then claim that Seagate drives are bad because they have 30%+ failure rates. If their statistics were accurate, Seagate would be long out of business. 

Seagate has had some issues with 1.5TB and 3TB Barracuda models, but for the most part their issues are fixed. Their other drives are just as good as other manufacturers and have no reason to be avoided. 

Just the day before yesterday I read about a quarter report of BackBlaze.

To be honest I was manipulated by those reports, although I rethink a lot, it came yesterday to my mind, that this reports are BS. 

They use consumer grade drives for 24/7 server services. Sure drives will be failing much sooner.

Somehow it still impacts your own opinion. Maybe because this report is covered by many tech sites?

Furthermore, the only drives I had to replace so far, is one WD HDD in a PC from 2007, which is normal and another faulty drive that made problems on my parents notebook since they bought it. Also by WD. Now they have a SSD, but man I had to reinstall Windows every few weeks for a whole day....

SilentOcean

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC Gaming ACX 3.0 MB: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK, RAM: Corsair XMS3 4x4GB RAM, Storage: Samsung Evo 840 SSD@120GB, Samsung Evo 850 SSD@1TB, Intel 535 SSD@240GB PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 10 500W Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Cooling: Cryorig H7, 2xFractal Design GP-14, 1xNoctua NF-A14 FLX OS: Windows 10 Home

24 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

...Then why this chart exists:

blog-fail-drives-manufacture.jpg

Because BackBlaze= server use of non server drives 24/7. You will never use normal hard drives like that as a normal user. Plus the 1.5TB Seagates are fairly old (5 years as I remember or so)

SilentOcean

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC Gaming ACX 3.0 MB: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK, RAM: Corsair XMS3 4x4GB RAM, Storage: Samsung Evo 840 SSD@120GB, Samsung Evo 850 SSD@1TB, Intel 535 SSD@240GB PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 10 500W Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Cooling: Cryorig H7, 2xFractal Design GP-14, 1xNoctua NF-A14 FLX OS: Windows 10 Home

28 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

BackBlaze's business model is to take the cheapest drives they can get and shove them in data centre environments. Instead of reliability, they go for cheap and quantity, so they replace drives when they fail. They got banned from buying drives from Walmart, so they were paying normal people to buy the drives for them. A lot of the drives are ripped from external enclosures or are refurb drives. If you look at the difference in numbers of drives used (thousands of Seagate drives to only a handful of Hitachi and a bucket of WD drives), it's pretty clear that the majority of their drives are Seagate's cheapest drives, which obviously won't hold up well in datacentre environments. Their testing methodology is also extremely vague and unreliable. 

One of the most compelling reasons to completely disregard BackBlaze's "testing" is the fact that any tech company with 15% failure rates would be long out of business. Even the 3-4% failure rates on WD drives is unacceptable to drive manufacturers. The only thing those results are somewhat useful for showing is what happens if you put external and desktop drives in datacentre environments. Even then, the documentation on which drives were used is very vague, so the results are unreliable at best. 

Every seagate drive i have bought died and without hard use.

I have a deskstar about 10 years a it works fine;) and the funny thing is i bought it used.

15 minutes ago, annoyingmoments said:

Just the day before yesterday I read about a quarter report of BackBlaze.

To be honest I was manipulated by those reports, although I rethink a lot, it came yesterday to my mind, that this reports are BS. 

They use consumer grade drives for 24/7 server services. Sure drives will be failing much sooner.

Somehow it still impacts your own opinion. Maybe because this report is covered by many tech sites?

Furthermore, the only drives I had to replace so far, is one WD HDD in a PC from 2007, which is normal and another faulty drive that made problems on my parents notebook since they bought it. Also by WD. Now they have a SSD, but man I had to reinstall Windows every few weeks for a whole day....

Graphs can be powerful persuaders, even if they're completely made up. Something about them often makes people feel they're somewhat official. I could probably create a graph using some Nvidia logos and colours, showing the performance of the 1080Ti is going to be 3x that of a Titan Z. It would most likely put that idea in people's heads, even if they know it's made up. 

To be honest, I would lean more towards WD drives if I were given a choice between Seagate and WD, but only if price wasn't involved. For desktop storage, I just use 2TB Seagate Barracuda drives. I have two of them running for 4 and 3 years with no issues. It's not a reliable test for Seagate's quality, but I've had no issues with Barracuda drives, so I continue to use them (along with knowing that the difference in failure rates is small between different companies, otherwise bad ones would be out of business). For NAS drives, I would always go for WD, though, just because I know the benefits and quality of their NAS drives first hand. 

1 hour ago, Djole123 said:

blog-fail-drives-manufacture.jpg

hopefully that doesnt apply for seagate 2.5 external drives. if so then im going to have to backup my backup drive

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

I'm untrusting of Seagate's Barracuda drives.

My 2TB died just days after the warranty had expired, so I couldn't RMA it. As you can imagine, that severely burned me.

Granted, I use an external, a portable, and 2.5'' PS4 drive from Seagate, but I'm probably gonna avoid them in desktops for a while just so I can let the salt ease over time easier.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

They are all a piece of spinning rust.

It doesnt matter a whole lot which brand you take nowdays.

I have seen multiple drives die over the years from multiple manufacturers, that also includes WD´s.

If i have to pick one brand in particular, which i have seen die more frequently then others.

Then it would be Maxtor, but Maxtor doesnt even exists anymore.

If i have to award the best mechanical hdd ever made.

Then it would be a Quantum Bigfoot. :D

I had a 300GB Maxtor DiamondMax 10 with my first build. I think I bought it on a computer hardware review recommendation or that I remember another drive I used was a Maxtor. Anyway, the thing was a champ until I gave it away in an external enclosure to a friend about 4 years or so down the road. And the Maxtor I used before was still running as far as I knew for 5 years. So in that sense, I'm wondering where all the hate for Maxtor came from.

However the other thing is bad news travels fast and good news rarely gets spread around. People will tell you avoid AMD because their drivers sucks, but people will also tell your NVIDIA's drivers suck.

So really... it's probably best to take all these user reviews with a grain of salt.

53 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

So in that sense, I'm wondering where all the hate for Maxtor came from.

Which particular hate towards Maxtor are your refering to?

I dont see any hate towards Maxtor mentioned in this topic.

1 minute ago, Sintezza said:

Which particular hate towards Maxtor are your refering to?

I dont see any hate towards Maxtor mentioned in this topic.

Maxtor was pretty much hated in general before they went belly up. They were the butt monkeys of the HDD world much like Seagate appears to be now.

11 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Maxtor was pretty much hated in general before they went belly up. They were the butt monkeys of the HDD world much like Seagate appears to be now.

Maxtor is exaly Seagate nowdays since 2006.

But in my opinnion, its just a matter of luck with hard drives realy.

Statistics are just statistics.

Had a 3tb barracuda for a couple of years, was originally my boot drive and is now a secondary drive which is being streamed from for hours every day. Been fine.

really, i don't care about the hate. all my seagate drives work fine. however, all my western digital drives all seem to be flawed. i had like 3 die within a week. and i bought them a month before. let them run 24/7, and then 3-4 weeks later, one shit on me, 3 days later, another one goes, and like 4 days later the last one gave up the ghost. to me i think wd has shittier product quality than seagate #fuckwesterndigital

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

It's mostly because of some testing done with horrible methodology and people jumping on that bandwagon. 

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

14 minutes ago, terrytek said:

really, i don't care about the hate. all my seagate drives work fine. however, all my western digital drives all seem to be flawed. i had like 3 die within a week. and i bought them a month before. let them run 24/7, and then 3-4 weeks later, one shit on me, 3 days later, another one goes, and like 4 days later the last one gave up the ghost. to me i think wd has shittier product quality than seagate #fuckwesterndigital

None of my drives from WD have failed, and my only Seagate drive hasn't failed either. The only drive that has failed was one that I wrecked. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

None of my drives from WD have failed, and my only Seagate drive hasn't failed either. The only drive that has failed was one that I wrecked. 

probably just my bad luck with wd drives. i don't have a single wd drive that still works. though all my seagate drives work, even my barracuda 20gb ide drive from 2003 works.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Hopefully the 3tb cudas aren't that bad anymore. I just got one for a new build cause I paid 80$ new. It'll be secondary anyways

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

8 hours ago, thatguyyouknow75 said:

What about Toshiba and Hitachi? I've personally never used Seagate drives so I dont have a strong opinion. But the drives Linus used were server designed drives, consumer grade drives typically aren't as hardy

Hitachi is western digital.

3 hours ago, xentropa said:

Hitachi is western digital.

They are independent concerning their fabs and processing as far as I remember, please correct me, if they started to use synergies. Let us see what SanDisk will deliver as for SSDs. It was approved by the FTC or something, that WD can buy SanDisk, maybe the breakthrough in "long-term-high-capacity-low-cost-high-quality" SSDs is right before our doors ;)

SilentOcean

Must i say i never had a problem with Seagate drives, i got my 7200rpm 2TB Barracuda for almost 3 years now, silent HDD, average performance.

However, my friend has a similar 1TB Barracuda HDD, that one sounded like a Gorilla and died a few weeks ago, just one year after he bought it...

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

Im really happy with my seagate drive.  Last time i tested it,  i got speeds OVER 210MB/s in both sequential read and write speeds. 

On a seagate barracuda 3tb

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

why all the surprise that things that are designed to wear out actually exceed their design specs and actually wear out sooner?

13 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Graphs can be powerful persuaders, even if they're completely made up. Something about them often makes people feel they're somewhat official. I could probably create a graph using some Nvidia logos and colours, showing the performance of the 1080Ti is going to be 3x that of a Titan Z. It would most likely put that idea in people's heads, even if they know it's made up. 

To be honest, I would lean more towards WD drives if I were given a choice between Seagate and WD, but only if price wasn't involved. For desktop storage, I just use 2TB Seagate Barracuda drives. I have two of them running for 4 and 3 years with no issues. It's not a reliable test for Seagate's quality, but I've had no issues with Barracuda drives, so I continue to use them (along with knowing that the difference in failure rates is small between different companies, otherwise bad ones would be out of business). For NAS drives, I would always go for WD, though, just because I know the benefits and quality of their NAS drives first hand. 

A Titan Z is worse then a Titan X... seriously, its 2x 780Tis with lower clocks and rampant thermal throttling. A 1080 is most certainly actually 3x a TitanZ

1 hour ago, Prysin said:

A Titan Z is worse then a Titan X... seriously, its 2x 780Tis with lower clocks and rampant thermal throttling. A 1080 is most certainly actually 3x a TitanZ

That really wasn't my point. 

However, the Titan Z isn't too much worse than a Titan X (in terms of FPS, let's not get into how bad the card really is). The 1080 isn't even 2x that of a Titan X, so is certainly not 3x a Titan Z. However, like I said, actual performance numbers wasn't my point, I was just using it as an example.