Netflix Releases Fast.com Proves Comcast Throttles

Nextflix Fast.com  

280 members have voted

1. 1. Are you being throttled by your ISP?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What is your ISP?

• Comcast
    • Verizon
    • Time Warner Cable
    • Charter
    • Other

Wow.  This website has shown me that I actually am getting more speed than I am paying for.  Schweet.

On 20/05/2016 at 11:08 AM, NinerL said:

dacfd1912d2371e410da9886ed305735.png

I'm getting full speeds.

showoff

200 down on virgin and fast

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

• 2 weeks later...

Fast: 74

Speedtest: 74,5

What I actually have: 75.

No trotteling, but I live in Norway and not USA...

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

200 on Fast vs 800 on SpeedTest, living in Romania. Also tested with some random server in NY, got 35 down on SpeedTest xD

Good luck getting your ISP to give a shit.

I've filed three FCC reports against Century Link, for their continued throttling (they claim bandwidth exhaustion) and nothing has come of it. They sent me a little letter stating that the issue should be resolved in april or may, now it's june and the problem persists.

We need to just make the ISP infrastructure a public utility. Companies can't be trusted to actually do their fucking jobs.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I'm not going to vote because I'm in Canada and I think throttling is now illegal here but the answer is no.

Why does it matter that they throttle you on netflix? You don't need more than like 5 down to watch HD.

Spoiler

To my surprise I'm not getting throttled, nice find.

CPU: i7 5820K Motherboard: AsRock x99x Fatality RAM: 32GB Corsair DDR4 3000mhz GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 ti SC2 Case: Corsair 780T Storage: Samsung 950 Pro M.2, Samsung EVO 500gb and various WB Storage PSU: EVGA 1300 G2 Display: TBD

7 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Good luck getting your ISP to give a shit.

I've filed three FCC reports against Century Link, for their continued throttling (they claim bandwidth exhaustion) and nothing has come of it. They sent me a little letter stating that the issue should be resolved in april or may, now it's june and the problem persists.

We need to just make the ISP infrastructure a public utility. Companies can't be trusted to actually do their fucking jobs.

if you want it to be fixed so quickly they offer a free upgrade i did this to optimum where i am awhile back    contact your senator/house of representative   for your area have them look into it and  ask century link  whats taking so long  and watch the fireworks go off . i give it a week after they receive the letter or phone call , verizion, comcast hate when one of the two houses contact them . if they also have CT  show him/her and you will still get yours fixed  if there throttling them also  . its not the quickest but they will never touch your account again for stupid shit , one but on here  if you have a data cap on your account your SOL then .

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

im good. 36 fast, 37 speedtest

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Nice.  Hopefully this puts some pressure on them.  I've seen other sneaky tricks to set a precedent for this kind of behaviour being acceptable from our ISP - if you subscribe to a certain online streaming service (like netflix for TV shows) they won't count that traffic toward your monthly total.  That sounds great until you realize it's the same principle - treating some traffic different from others.  I hope people have the will power to resist crap like this and send a message to the ISPs.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 hours ago, gamerking said:

if you want it to be fixed so quickly they offer a free upgrade i did this to optimum where i am awhile back    contact your senator/house of representative   for your area have them look into it and  ask century link  whats taking so long  and watch the fireworks go off . i give it a week after they receive the letter or phone call , verizion, comcast hate when one of the two houses contact them . if they also have CT  show him/her and you will still get yours fixed  if there throttling them also  . its not the quickest but they will never touch your account again for stupid shit , one but on here  if you have a data cap on your account your SOL then .

As far as I know, we have no datacaps. We're supposed to be getting upgraded to 20Mbps sooner or later. Chances are they will just increase the bandwidth, and once again oversell their service.

Gonna try contacting my local member of congress, as well as state general assembly "representative". Sadly they're all republicans, so I'll be lucky to get anything other than a standard pre-written response letter

reading the thread is depressing i only get 1.3Mbps on fast and and 1.9 on speedtest and youtube videos wont go over 1. i should get 2Mbps.

I'm getting 38 on fast and 30 on speedtest using Xfinity.

Well played.

I don't understand internet. Paying for 75/75 (Verizon). Get 85/90 from 60 feet away. Get 80/80 on ethernet.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

I'm paying for 75Mbps...and getting 90.

#winning

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

4 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

As far as I know, we have no datacaps. We're supposed to be getting upgraded to 20Mbps sooner or later. Chances are they will just increase the bandwidth, and once again oversell their service.

Gonna try contacting my local member of congress, as well as state general assembly "representative". Sadly they're all republicans, so I'll be lucky to get anything other than a standard pre-written response letter

you have to go in person to where they have their office  sending a letter they dont do nada. in person you will get results 

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

7 hours ago, gamerking said:

you have to go in person to where they have their office  sending a letter they dont do nada. in person you will get results 

Good to know.

Now if only I can figure out how one actually meets with their state legislators in person. Everything I've ever been told leads me to believe that they are perpetually in meetings or at lunch.

On 5/20/2016 at 7:53 PM, nims0c said:

No throttling with Rogers in Canada.

Same here. In fact, Rogers for me gives me more than my plan (250/20). I get around 300 on fast.com and 327 on speedtest (average is 270 during peak/a lot of users on the network). This is actually due to the fact that the people on my street still uses Bell so the Rogers line is basically open.

IBb7517.png
5384591740.png

My PC Specs: Corsair HAF XB Case - i5 3570K CPU @ 4.2 GHz - Asus P8Z77-V Pro/Thunderbolt Motherboard - 16GB Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600 MHz (4 x 4GB) RAM - Corsair Enthusiast TX650M 650W PSU - Nvidia GT 520 1GB Video Card (Upgrading Soon) - Samsung 840 250GB SSD (Boot + Some Programs) - Seagate 1TB Barracuda SATA3 HDD (Main Storage) - Hitachi 250GB Laptop HDD (Recording Storage, old HDD) - Hitachi 320GB HDD (Random Storage, old HDD) - Asus PB238Q 23" LCD IPS Monitor (Main) - Acer AL2017 20" LCD Monitor (Secondary) - Logitech Z623 Computer Speaker - Blue Snowball Microphone - Logitech K120 Keyboard - Lenovo Mouse

One thing everyone should keep in mind is that your ISP isn't going to put a constant limit on your speed, they'll throttle your connection during peak hours(usually in the evening after people get off work).  This has been the case for me with TimeWarner, Insight, and At&t Uverse.  

It drives me nut's because the only time I can use my home internet is during peak hours.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Wow, I thought Netflix was smarter than this. I feel sorry for people who won't understand how the internet works and get mad at their ISPs over this.

-KuJoe

53 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Wow, I thought Netflix was smarter than this. I feel sorry for people who won't understand how the internet works and get mad at their ISPs over this.

If people are not receiving even close to the speed they paid for, that is problematic.  It has nothing to do with "how the Internet works".  Obviously, someone across the world will receive a slower test result if the server is US-based.  If the server is local and they still receive slow speeds, that could be an indication of throttling and is worth investigating.

My PC specifications are in my profile.