Netflix Releases Fast.com Proves Comcast Throttles

Nextflix Fast.com  

280 members have voted

1. 1. Are you being throttled by your ISP?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What is your ISP?

• Comcast
    • Verizon
    • Time Warner Cable
    • Charter
    • Other

EDIT:
I decided to add a poll to this.
-------------------------------------------------
So Netflix released on Wednesday Fast.com. The purpose of the site is to test how fast your internet connection is. 

We all want a faster, better Internet, yet Internet speeds vary greatly and can be affected by other users on your network or congestion with your Internet service provider. When you’re experiencing streaming issues, fast.com allows you to check the download speeds you’re getting from your Internet service provider. Using Netflix servers, fast.com works like other globally available tools including speedtest.net, and the results should be similar in most cases.

Gotta love that last line. "The results should be similar in most cases." In my opinion this was created as a direct jab at Comcast. It is well known that Comcast has throttled Netflix in the past. The point here is to hold Comcast's feet to the fire and make sure they are doing their job. So are they? You tell me. I'm paying for 70Mbps.

Proof of Throttle.jpg

Original source: http://bgr.com/2016/05/18/netflix-speed-test-isp-fast-download/

I have 100Mbps plan, and the site is only showing me 37-42Mbps .. Nice. -.-

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

What i get is that speedtest gives me full power of what i used to get from my isp. that is 220Mbit/s. from fast.com i get around 30. is that maybe because fast.com lets me do speedtest form america? i live in holland. fast.com doesn't specify where i download from. i know speedtest does this and i know i download form 5 miles away.

31 minutes ago, JPotze said:

What i get is that speedtest gives me full power of what i used to get from my isp. that is 220Mbit/s. from fast.com i get around 30. is that maybe because fast.com lets me do speedtest form america? i live in holland. fast.com doesn't specify where i download from. i know speedtest does this and i know i download form 5 miles away.

speed shouldnt change even though you test between holland and the US. only Ping, aka latency, should increase. You are being throttled by whatever ISP you have, and whatever ISP your ISP is having a deal with in the US

GG Virginmedia nice to see they are not throttling my connection, fast.com and speedtest.net both report my full speed of 50Mbs.

4 minutes ago, Prysin said:

speed shouldnt change even though you test between holland and the US. only Ping, aka latency, should increase. You are being throttled by whatever ISP you have, and whatever ISP your ISP is having a deal with in the US

i get 213 Mbit/s with serves in america. so i don't see throttling.

They even have a "compare with speedtest.net" button, lol.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

11 minutes ago, Prysin said:

No, it will be lower even without throttling from your ISP.

Throughput = window size / RTT

Higher latency will result in lower total throughput.

Things such as MTU size of the different network devices your packet passes though will therefore also affect total throughput, and your packet passes though quite a bit of devices being sent around the world.

Spain, Vodafone. i guess you don't need more  throughput than this to run anything

fast.com:                  46         Mbps

Speedtest.net:      122.08    Mbps

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

56 Mbps on both Speedtest and Fast.com.

I am using Optimum Online in NY.

14 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

No, it will be lower even without throttling from your ISP.

Throughput = window size / RTT

Higher latency will result in lower total throughput.

Things such as MTU size of the different network devices your packet passes though will therefore also affect total throughput, and your packet passes though quite a bit of devices being sent around the world.

this is mostly true for copper based systems due to loss of signal integrity during transitional up-amp of signal. as the signal does get slightly distorted and thus interpretation of destination and content takes longer.

Distance based speed loss is not so much a factor for fiberoptics. However the main reason for loss of speed over distance is that the ISPs own different subsea cables. and depending on your ISP, you may get throttled at the final destination.

I had this issue with servers in germany. Some danish ISP holder wasnt too happy with my ISP for a while, so the signal which goes through subsea cables were throttled as the signal was down-prioritized on its way to germany and back.

Some months later, the ISPs stopped bitching at eachother, resulting in speed and latency returning to old values.

I do not know WHO owns or have the control over the subsea cables, but i do know that dutch ISPs got on the wrong side of murican ISPs during the original TBP trails/hunt and that they got throttled by US ISPs. But i thought this was no longer the case.

if I'm  not form US can I participate in the poll?

and why is there no option for "Are you being throttled by your ISP? - ocasionally" ?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

I dont get throttled at my university here in germany. Still crappy speed with 18 mpbs. I didnt fill in your survey to falsify the results since i am no US citizen.

i don't think fast.com has fast enough servers for my speed lol

not that you need gigabit for netflix

1 hour ago, JPotze said:

I'm also from the netherlands and I get 150MB/s on both speedtest and fast.com. What ISP do you have, I'm on ziggo.

Someone once said: "Having a rollercoaster on a PC would be epic"

So threw a rollercoaster on my K'nex PC: Project Dragon Khan- K'nex rollercoaster PC build

Am on 50/5 Fiber (outside the US) and am getting 49 mbps on fast.com. Pretty nice

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W

well i get 30mbps for a 300mbps conection but im not in US im in romania so i guess this fast.com is 100% pointless for people outside US, the servers are probably in US its way too far, i guess this test is to see if you get throttle on netflix service because on steam/origin/youtube/speedtest and other services that have good servers in europe i get full speed 

My Comcast plan advertises 150 Mbps and I'm getting 130-140 Mbps, so it's pretty close.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

no netflix doesnt only have servers in the US.

they have servers in every country their service is available, even if its not available you should connect to the closest one.