Synergy (Software)

8 hours ago, nicklmg said:

Amazon: N/A
NCIX: N/A

Synergy: http://bit.ly/25d62Bv

Do you operate multiple PCs across 4 or more displays at a time? Then Synergy may be exactly what you're looking for...

i was legit to cheap to pay for this software. but i use it. just git clone the source code and build it yourself. also this works so well over wired LAN

Smh at Luke calling a piece of GPL licensed software 'not free'.

8 hours ago, JohnnyCorporalTech said:

Wait a second.  Who on earth at Linus Media Group owns a MacBook Pro.  They should be fired for not supporting the company.  ??

I think it was Berkel's? It's from like 6 years ago lol.

8 hours ago, JohnnyCorporalTech said:

Whoever owns that MacBook needs to buy a new Chromebook as Google just sold more Chromebooks than apple did mac products. xDxD

Why would anyone want a Chromebook...

So how can I connect 2 computers to 1 screen while using this, so I can look at my server and PC on one desk?

i use multiplicity, not sure if its better? I can do wake-on-lan with it.

10 hours ago, iPolymer said:

So how can I connect 2 computers to 1 screen while using this, so I can look at my server and PC on one desk?

Synergy is a network keyboard/mouse switch, it's not a keyboard/mouse/video switch. For that you're going to have to either use TeamViewer (works on any OS, but goes through the internet regardless if the computers are on the same network, unless there's a way to do local), VNC (Linux or MacOS), or RemoteDesktop (if you're doing Windows).

If it's a Linux/POSIX server, "real" sysadmins use PuTTY or some other tool to let them ssh into the machine :3

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

-Snip-

I was going to use unRaid for it, but if there is a physical swithc that I can use do you have any suggestions? 

I want to say that I fully endorse Luke's pronunciation of Debian. The world could be a very slightly better place if we all agreed to say it this way.

inb4 "Deb + Ian = Debian" yes I know; it just hurts my ears

My only question about this software is about it's compatibility with macros, as I have the k95 and will use the macros for programming type things and that would be a very useful thing if they did work, honestly I doubt it though because of the corsair utility engine being only for windows.

the hell was that? one and a half minutes of here's a software you can buy for $30 and here's some other four minute add

the intro was promising but when Slick showed up it kind of went down hill from there...

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Luke, please check this out before running Linux on a Dell XPS 15 9550, it looks like PM-related issues may reduce skylake hardware's lifespan: https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/41713.html

mjg59 (Matthew Garrett) is a linux developer, he has also written some patches to fix Haswell/Broadwell power management, and what he's saying in this article concerns me.

I myself own the same laptop (bought also because of an ltt review) and want to run linux on it, but after finding Matthew's article, I decided to wait until the linux kernel has better PM support for Skylake (I actually tested linux-4.5-something with powertop and found that, indeed, package never goes below PC3)

I've had Synergy for quite some time. It's always been weird to me. Sometimes it doesn't like to connect and other times it'll connect and act EXTREMELY choppy. It's all over the place for me personally even though my network is pretty properly set up (R7000, gigabit throughout the house, two computers hard wired). 

On Friday, May 20, 2016 at 5:46 AM, blackgopher said:

I assume all the machines need to be on the same network for this to work. What is the best hardware solution for this problem?

i use j5create wormhole to go between 2 computers.  i used it for school to interface between my asus windows tablet and school desktop.  its a usb interface and required no software install which i needed cuz it was on school pc.

So when is the CSF using this to prank Taran coming out?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Been using this awhile too, great until it doesn't work, then nothing works.

Also to this day I can't get it to drop the client PC out of screen saver. I mostly use it for security cams anyway so its not a big deal to disable the screen saver, I like that I can see the cams all the time.

On 5/20/2016 at 9:06 AM, sergy2008 said:

I haven't posted almost anything in this forum before, so here's my first contribution: Sharemouse. http://www.keyboard-and-mouse-sharing.com/ I've been using it for a while and it works OK

There is, unfortunately, one catch: ShareMouse is free for most users, but not everyone. If it sees you as a "power user"—that is, if it detects more than two monitors, more than two computers, or if you use professional software like Adobe Photoshop, it'll prompt you to buy the software every few minutes.

I know it's not an option for everyone and it's lacking some features synergy has, but it's good enough for me.

I'm not sure about the photoshop thing since I use GIMP and the lifehacker article is 4 years old. It doesn't say anything about professional software in the official web page: http://www.keyboard-and-mouse-sharing.com/freeware.htm

Source: http://lifehacker.com/5907028/sharemouse-controls-multiple-computers-with-a-single-keyboard-and-mouse-no-setup-required

if this is as good as it looks thank you, i have been looking for something like this becase synergy was not very good for me

Had a spare i7 4790 system laying around and decided Id give Synergy a shot and make use of the spare system and monitor.. works a treat.. glad I purchased it.    Now I can have the best of both worlds without having multiple keyboards/mice or a KVM. 

Thanks for making mention of it in your videos LTT. 

• 1 year later...

I'm thinking about buying this for my setup.

[     ][     ]     <-- two monitors, work computer

[     ][     ][     ]  <-- three monitors, main computer

The mouse and keyboard will be connected to my main computer, work pc on W7, main computer on W10. I plan on purchasing the Pro version for security.

My questions are:

Will I notice any difference when using my main computer? Any delay at all (I know I can expect a little on the work computer)?

Can I choose to just do mouse, or just the keyboard?

Is there a standalone client for the work computer (meaning no installation file)?

CASE: Thermaltake Armor Plus

MOBO: EVGA X79 FTW

CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 CPU

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080

RAM: Corsair Vengance DDR3 16GB

SSD: Samsung 850 PRO

HDD: VelociRaptor 300GB

Cooling: Kraken X60