Synergy (Software)

Amazon: N/A
NCIX: N/A

Synergy: http://bit.ly/25d62Bv

Do you operate multiple PCs across 4 or more displays at a time? Then Synergy may be exactly what you're looking for...

Just now, nicklmg said:

Do you operate multiple PCs across 4 or more displays at a time? Then Synergy may be exactly what you're looking for...

Been using synergy for about a year now. It's amazing when it works, but breaks everything around it when it doesn't.

My native language is C++

Sadly breaks photoshop(click drag etc) and some Blender functionality. Still, awesome software, glad I bought it.

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

37 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

I've had Synergy since early 2014, and although my current desk does not allow room for Laptop + Desktop usage, it works very well.

There are some apps (notably fullscreen programs and those requiring precision, like Adobe apps) that don't play nice all the time.

But overall it worked quite well when I had the room to jump between music production on my laptop, and communications on my desktop.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 hour ago, nicklmg said:

Looks nice!

For a free alternative (windows only though) there is "mouse without borders" from Microsoft garage projects, can be glitchy at times but still awesome!

Linus Tech Tips isn't a start up, it's a small business, you guys make money, just saying.

I hope the paid version gets them a little more traction than just asking for donations. Synergy has always been an amazing little piece of software. I first found it right around with the  Synergy+ fork had come out I think it was.

OMG where was this when I was forced to do app dev on windows 8... used a second computer just to save myself from having to change my main desktop's os to win8 (this was two years ago, before win10)

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K (Stock Speed)  Motherboard: Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark-S  Memory: 4x8GB Klevv GENUINE DDR3 1600MHz GPU: EVGA GTX 550Ti PSU: Corsair RM850

Wait a second.  Who on earth at Linus Media Group owns a MacBook Pro.  They should be fired for not supporting the company.  ??

So I take it this will work great to control my laptop with it's lid closed and connected to my second monitor?

Ok, took the leap based on Luke word, this thing works perfectly, and it saves me buying a second keyboard and mouse to use my laptop in lid closed mode with a monitor.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

Whoever owns that MacBook needs to buy a new Chromebook as Google just sold more Chromebooks than apple did mac products. xDxD

Lol, now I think I failed by buying xeon without igp. Now I want linux running on the igp + VM windows with my GTX :|

I've got 2 points about this:

Isn't SSL at least mandatory for this? What are the security risks for this and might a company not object to their employees using it?

Personally I can see the usefulness of this only on a larger scale, like 3+ PCs with multiple OS. I have 2 PCs and a cheap USB switch serves me well enough.

We do what we can, because we must.

or for those on windows http://www.microsoft.com/en-sg/download/details.aspx?id=35460

this is free

Mouse without Borders is a product that makes you the captain of your computer fleet by allowing you to control up to four computers from a single mouse and keyboard. This means that with Mouse without Borders you can copy text or drag and drop files across computers

Using Tapatalk

I think they should have a hardware option just using a usb cable to negate SSL and free up those 10kb/s. Also because simpler is better. I mean there will still be cases where it's useful but ... most don't need it.

13 minutes ago, SolarPolarMan said:

I think they should have a hardware option just using a usb cable to negate SSL and free up those 10kb/s. Also because simpler is better. I mean there will still be cases where it's useful but ... most don't need it.

If your intent is to transfer a lot of files between multiple computers, yeah, but that isn't really the main selling point of synergy tho.

Also the file transfer speed isn't that bad.

3 minutes ago, sphexator said:

If your intent is to transfer a lot of files between multiple computers, yeah, but that isn't really the main selling point of synergy tho.

Also the file transfer speed isn't that bad.

It's not that I just mean it seems over complicated as most people, including luke, will just being using it on two PCs next to each other. So pushing it all through the ethernet, unless they're connected to each other, seems over complicated. 

seems pretty useful for streamers or content creators who use a dedicated recording pc but don't wanna clutter their desks with extra peripherals 

1 hour ago, Name Taken said:

10.0.0.0/8, 172.16.0.0/12, 169.254.0.0/16 and 192.168.0.0/16 are private reserved subnets so it is not necessary to censor those addresses.

huh, I knew about the 10.0.0.0/8 and the 192.168.0.0/16, but not the other two. thanks. mybad. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

10 minutes ago, SolarPolarMan said:

It's not that I just mean it seems over complicated as most people, including luke, will just being using it on two PCs next to each other. So pushing it all through the ethernet, unless they're connected to each other, seems over complicated. 

A little, yeah. USB option might become available in the future as it'll be better but as I see it: Its better to have a degraded(which isn't by alot either) option which uses something everyone already have in their disposal instead of the need to get another cable.

Could it be possible to use this in an unRAID machine?.

I don't mean to have all 7 gamers use the same mouse, but to control windows and linux with a single mouse/keyboard, this might end the need to install different hardware in each machine

I assume all the machines need to be on the same network for this to work. What is the best hardware solution for this problem?

I haven't posted almost anything in this forum before, so here's my first contribution: Sharemouse. http://www.keyboard-and-mouse-sharing.com/ I've been using it for a while and it works OK

There is, unfortunately, one catch: ShareMouse is free for most users, but not everyone. If it sees you as a "power user"—that is, if it detects more than two monitors, more than two computers, or if you use professional software like Adobe Photoshop, it'll prompt you to buy the software every few minutes.

I know it's not an option for everyone and it's lacking some features synergy has, but it's good enough for me.

I'm not sure about the photoshop thing since I use GIMP and the lifehacker article is 4 years old. It doesn't say anything about professional software in the official web page: http://www.keyboard-and-mouse-sharing.com/freeware.htm

Source: http://lifehacker.com/5907028/sharemouse-controls-multiple-computers-with-a-single-keyboard-and-mouse-no-setup-required