Best time to upgrade laptop?

I'm looking to buy a new laptop but It looks like as always, the best option is to wait. however it looks like it could actually lead to large perfomance gains if I wait till Q4 2016 or 2017. I would like your guys opinion in case I get something wrong. For what I use a laptop for I need a quad core CPU and a DGPU, it looks like around that time gtx 1000m series graphics would be available with the next gen Intel CPU's. This would sync up with the release of the 2017 xps 15 and slightly later the 2017 Razer Blade 14. My current laptop is a Macbook Pro 15" 2013 running in bootcamp after my work flow moved to Windows. I love the idea of Convertibles/hbrids like the Surface book, but I have not seen one powerful enough for my needs. I typically upgrade every 3 years but I want to hear other people's opinions on whether waiting makes sense, and are there other laptops that fit my needs and generally release around that time window? thanks for your opinions guys, and please tell me what I got wrong so that I can make the best decision.

Id wait for 14/16mm gpu's. They will probably be a thing in a month or two. If you get a laptop like a dell 7710 you can upgrade the gpu later, but your not geting a thin or light laptop.

If you want to wait a bit more, kaby lake should be out in the next year.

9 minutes ago, TrueNorth said:

I'm looking to buy a new laptop but It looks like as always, the best option is to wait. however it looks like it could actually lead to large perfomance gains if I wait till Q4 2016 or 2017. I would like your guys opinion in case I get something wrong. For what I use a laptop for I need a quad core CPU and a DGPU, it looks like around that time gtx 1000m series graphics would be available with the next gen Intel CPU's. This would sync up with the release of the 2017 xps 15 and slightly later the 2017 Razer Blade 14. My current laptop is a Macbook Pro 15" 2013 running in bootcamp after my work flow moved to Windows. I love the idea of Convertibles/hbrids like the Surface book, but I have not seen one powerful enough for my needs. I typically upgrade every 3 years but I want to hear other people's opinions on whether waiting makes sense, and are there other laptops that fit my needs and generally release around that time window? thanks for your opinions guys, and please tell me what I got wrong so that I can make the best decision.

technology will always advance a huge amount every year. The question you have to ask yourself is if the laptop you have now works well for you and when that answer becomes no, its time to get a new laptop.

Wait for Kaby lake and pascal for that improved power efficiency. Then Buy.

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.91 GHz RAM: G.Skill 4x4GB 2133Mhz DDR3 GPU: AMD HD 7970 3GB SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB PSU: Corsair HX620W  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Case: Phanteks P400 Tempered Glass (Black) Monitor: Dell P2412H, Dell 2012H Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic Mouse: Logitech G203 Prodigy HDD: WD Black 3TB