Would a GTX 1070 be any better on a 1080 60 Hz monitor?

mckrackin5324

I don't want to waste any money since I don't play competitively at all.

I have my gaming PC hooked to a 52 inch 1080P TV.  I like kicking back and playing single player games with a controller.

Sometimes,I play BF4 but there is a desk in front of the TV and I just use a smaller window to simulate a 24 inch monitor...three of them actually. lol

Would a GTX 1070 look any better than a GTX 970 in this case?

I have a GTX 960 that plays great but I was thinking upgrade right before the news broke about the 1000 series.

Id wait for the benchmarks but if the 1080 ones are any indication of the power difference between these generations, the 1070 should be much more powerful than the 970

1 minute ago, Adreyu said:

Id wait for the benchmarks but if the 1080 ones are any indication of the power difference between these generations, the 1070 should be much more powerful than the 970

Yes but will I see a difference without a monitor upgrade?

If you're already getting 60+ FPS on all the games you currently play then upgrading won't make any impact since a 60Hz display can only output at 60FPS.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

If you're already getting 60+ FPS on all the games you currently play then upgrading won't make any impact since a 60Hz display can only output at 60FPS.

But if you want to run at higher graphics settings...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

I get 60 FPS on medium settings.

I was considering the 970 to play on Ultra with the same FPS.

Just now, mckrackin5324 said:

If you're playing on medium and want to play at higher settings then yes it would be worth it to upgrade to a 1070. Wait for benchmarks to be sure but yah.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, mckrackin5324 said:

The bump in settings might be nice, but then again, if I were in your situation with the extra cash, I'd get an actual monitor to replace the TV rather than a new GPU.  It will massively cut down your input lag

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1070 will destroy all Maxwell based single GPU's when OC'd even on air, 2.1ghz on a 1080 gives it 980Ti SLi performance, just food for thought.

let us all remember now and today, computers do not like abuse, they will fight back!

Old Skool KILLBOX. XEON E5640 4.0ghz / ASUS P6X58D-E ~ Noctua NH-L12 ~ eVGA GTX 670 SC 2GB 1312/7000 ~ 4TB 7200 RPM RAID0 ~ CoolerMaster Haf 922 ~ DELL P214H 23" 1080 IPS 2ms ~ HP w2007v 1680x1050. Now Playing: Splinter Cell OG XBOX / CSGO PC

Original XBOX - Xecuter 2 4981.67 Bios. Playstation 2 Slim SCPH-70002. Sega Dreamcast. N64

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

The bump in settings might be nice, but then again, if I were in your situation with the extra cash, I'd get an actual monitor to replace the TV rather than a new GPU.  It will massively cut down your input lag

That would be a terrible idea. You're not in my situation at all. LOL

I play from a recliner or from my bed about 15 feet away. 52 inches is a bit too small.

I play 90% single player games.

1 minute ago, mckrackin5324 said:

That would be a terrible idea. You're not in my situation at all. LOL

I play from a recliner or from my bed about 15 feet away. 52 inches is a bit too small.

I play 90% single player games.

oh xD well yeah I guess the size wouldn't work out then, but my point about the lag stands 

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

If you're playing on medium and want to play at higher settings then yes it would be worth it to upgrade to a 1070. Wait for benchmarks to be sure but yah.

But would the 1070 be any better than the 970 on my TV?

I'm even thinking about a B Stock 970 for $250 so it would have to be quite a bit better.

Like everyone I would advice you to wait for the benchmarks. However, though you might not see much difference right now, a 1070 will likely allow you to play at high-ultra settings longer than a 970 would, so the couple of extra bucks would definitely be worth it IMO (depending on the benchmarks obviously).

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

Well the 8GB of VRAM and better TDP don't necessarily hurt, however, that considered, the 970 will likely go down in price as it's pretty much a ubiquitous card and there's always those who'll sell it for moderately cheap and pony up the rest of it for a new card. That said, the 1070 will probably be separated from the 1080 by the ratio of CUDA cores, clock-to-clock, so overclocking is a must to get your money's worth. Probably still better than a 980ti, so I'd suggest possibly cranking the game to Ultra at 1080p and maybe even supersampling to 1440p if you can handle it. It might look sharper to you and I don't see why not with that much extra headroom.

Will a 1070 look better than a 970 on my TV?

I'm not asking a complicated question...somebody please. lol

I've read all the same specs as all of you but I don't have an understanding of how it applies to my TV.

10 minutes ago, mckrackin5324 said:

I've read all the same specs as all of you but I don't have an understanding of how it applies to my TV.

It's more powerful so of course it will run higher settings (look better) at the same framerate.  How much better isn't entirely clear yet and how much that difference matters is up to you

17 hours ago, mckrackin5324 said:

without benchmarks nobody can give an answer to your exact question.

21 hours ago, DarkRuskov said:

i don't see why you would buy a 970 if you can have a 1070 for the same approximately the price

Unless you are from Europe, where you can buy new GTX 970 for 330€, but GTX 1070 will be around 550€.

because logic.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

18 hours ago, mckrackin5324 said:

I think a 1070 would be an excellent buy if you plan on using a 1080p TV for awhile. You could probably keep it for the next 3 years with no need to upgrade, running everything at max settings. 

19 hours ago, mckrackin5324 said:

Depends on games, if you can run a game at max settings @ 60 fps on a 970 then buying 1070 is a waste.

But in the long run 1070 will be able to play more modern games at that settings than 970.

CPU: Ryzen 2 2700@ 4.0Ghz    Mobo: Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 Wifi    Cooler: EVGA CLC 240    GPU: GTX1080 FTW DT @ 2113Mhz   PSU: EVGA 750W P2   

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C   Displays: 34" LG34UC79G, 24" Dell

20 hours ago, mckrackin5324 said:

No, all the features which impact how things look with Pascal will not translate to a TV. They are meant for VR and multiple monitor set ups. What might help is the additional VRAM that will help textures, but that will be game specific.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Unless we we see a huge shift in how demanding games are in the next month or so (bear in mind, are the consoles getting substantially more powerful, particularly in comparison to a 970?) a 1070 will be huge overkill for 1080p 60hz.