Which keyboard should I get? KUMARA vs Qisan Magicforce

CandleJakk

Hey all!

Which keyboard should I get?

Up until now I have been using a standard Logitech keyboard (not mechanical, obviously).

I am now going to purchase a mechanical keyboard, both of which are £50.

I do not mind about the appearance of either as they are both quite appealing to me, but as I know f--- all about mechanical keyboard specs (just hear the words "Cherry MX" thrown about a lot), so was wondering if you guys could take a look at these keyboards and advise me to which one you would get?

Thanks! :) 

Links...

KUMARA: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Redragon-KUMARA-Backlit-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B01ATP6770?ie=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=twister_B010J4HIPG

Qisan: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Keyboard-Mechanical-Backlit-Magicforce/dp/B0185BVMPC?ie=UTF8&keywords=magicforce%2068-key%20mini%20mechanical%20keyboard&qid=1460827508&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

They are essentially the same product. The Red Dragon still has 4.5 stars after 500 reviews.
So, that's where my money would go. 

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

I read the title, and i'm just like "what?!". Had never even heard of those brands before. #smarter everyday xD

MAIN RIG | AMD R7 1800x @ 4.0GHz [cooled by Corsair h110i] | Zotac 1070 founders | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8gb |
| ASUS crosshair IV hero | Samsung 960 evo m.2 | Seagate 1TB + WD blue 2TB| Corsair HX750i | Phanteks evlov atx TG |
LAPTOP | HP zbook Workstation | Intel i7-4710 HQ @ 2.5GHz | 8gb ram | NVIDIA Quadro k1100m | 250gb + 250gb Crucial SSDs |

31 minutes ago, DioOmicida said:

They are essentially the same product. The Red Dragon still has 4.5 stars after 500 reviews.
So, that's where my money would go. 

I agree, simply due to the number of reviews for the red dragon and still being able to maintain 4.5 starts is a good sign that it's not going to be bad.

I have a magicforce which I've not owned long enough yet to comment of durability but if you would like to see my crappy review then here it is :D 

Also, @SurvivorNVL, he has one as well so... :D 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 hour ago, CandleJakk said:

take a look at these keyboards and advise me to which one you would get?

Well, the options you've linked are very different from one another. 

The Kumara on your link looks like it has unknown brand of Blue switches and is pretty standard TKL.

The Magicforce 68 is using Kailh Black switches and is closer to 60% but not really.

If you don't really need the extra keys(Home/End) that are on the TKL I'd say get the Magicforce which has the function via modifier. I also would say Magicforce because the Kumara has Blue switches, which are prone to inconsistencies and it being an unknown brand switch isn't reassuring of it's quality.

+1 vote for Magicforce 

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

Most people would be comfortable with the Tenkeyless layout of the Kumara.

Though the Qisan has an aluminum top surface and is smaller.

I'd go Kumata unless blue switches will be too loud for your situation. 

I have the non-backlit version of the MagiForce with OUTEMU Browns and they feel pretty nice and definitely saves space on my desk. 

9 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

I agree, simply due to the number of reviews for the red dragon and still being able to maintain 4.5 starts is a good sign that it's not going to be bad.

I have a magicforce which I've not owned long enough yet to comment of durability but if you would like to see my crappy review then here it is :D 

Also, @SurvivorNVL, he has one as well so... :D 

I have twenty-three mechanicals.  Soon to be thirty.  Don't judge me.

I recommend, in the name of mechanical enthusiasm - http://www.amazon.com/Team-Wolf-Swappable-Mechanical-Keyboard-Blue/dp/B01AFBJQA8   This keyboard is the holy grail of a deal, due to the hot-swappable switch mechanism on the PCB.  It uses Outemu blues, which feel better than Cherries, not as good as Gateron, however.  I'm in the process of swapping cherry boards with Gaterons, but this board is absolutely incredible value.  If you can catch a Massdrop or Geekhack(or Chinese/Taiwanese group sales on Taobao or Aliexpress) for some Gateron switches or get some Zealio 65g Plate-mount switches-  you're damn set.

But if not - the Qisan is excellent.  Though try to find it, or any keyboard in a Gateron flavor - Outemu is a step up from Cherry in their clicky-switches, but not in anything else.  Gateron is, across the board, incredible.  The hierarchy of switches as per my view:  

Clicky order:  ALPS SKCM - Blue, White, Buckling Spring, Gateron Blue, Gat-Green.  Linear:  ALPS Green, Gateron Clear, Gat-Yellow, Gat-Black, Gat-Red.  Tactile:  Topre, Clone Topre, Zealios.  This is my experience thus far.  All are great.  Hopefully will try more switch brands with time.  Romer-G could be added to this list, but, nawh.

15 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

I prefer to read reviews by someone who isn't angry because one of his keys isn't illuminated.
It's the reason I picked up the Azio MGK1. It was one suggested by Linus for a cheap mechanical keyboard. 

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

1 minute ago, DioOmicida said:

I prefer to read reviews by someone who isn't angry because one of his keys isn't illuminated.
It's the reason I picked up the Azio MGK1. It was one suggested by Linus for a cheap mechanical keyboard. 

Fair enough :D 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Magiforce looks better imo. 

If you wanna go cheaper, you can buy from China. It's on eBay, so your money is safe. And also has much more variety.

Ajazz AK33 is an absolute steal for a sweet little mech kb.

You'll have a field day on this store, if you don't mind waiting 4 weeks for a keyboard :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html_ssn=xtrememicro&_armrs=1&_from=R40&_sacat=0&_sop=15&_nkw=mechanical+keyboard&_ipg=192&rt=nc

There's a huge range, but I particularly like these :

Ajazz AK33 is a pretty nice budget board, and is only like 25 pounds. 

Review here : 

I also like the Royal Kludge RG987 for 30+ pounds is a super sleek looking keyboard, available in a few switches.

Lastly, the Teamwolf one that was mentioned above is only about 30 pounds. Personally I don't like the lighting setup, but it's a cool concept.

I have VERY RECENT experience with the Magicforce. I had watched FrankP's review of it and it seemed like a decent little board for the price. I ordered it at the beginning of the week and received it Tuesday night. To say I was disappointed was an understatement. It was so filthy from the manufacturing process that it made me second guess whether or not it was even "new". 

The keystrokes were very inconsistent and the spacebar was so gunked up that it would stick in the down position. All of the longer keys (spacebar, tab, ect.) felt like they had no stabilizers whatsoever. They were mushy and went side to side instead of a nice crisp up and down.

I would highly suggest going with something other than the Magicforce. I am in the process right now of looking for a nice tenkeyless board. If you get the Kumara, please update us, and let us know how you like it.

|| i7-8700k @ 4.9GHz || Asus Z370-i || HyperX Fury 32GB @ 2400MHz || Nvidia Titan Xp || 500GB Samsung 950 Pro || Deepcool Captain 240 RGB white || Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX Glass || InWin Aurora fan kit || Corsair RM750x white || Ensourced Customs sleeved extensions || Tesoro Gram Spectrum white || Logitech G603 || 

11 hours ago, SurvivorNVL said:

I recommend, in the name of mechanical enthusiasm - http://www.amazon.com/Team-Wolf-Swappable-Mechanical-Keyboard-Blue/dp/B01AFBJQA8   

I have the Void Ray via Massdrop which I got with an additional bag of gateron browns. Having experienced a few inconsistent switches on a keyboard, it's my solution to inconsistent switches (the ability to swap the switch at will in seconds!).

I can't recommend it enough as well, tho the fullsize RGB has been out of stock for ages on Amazon and the Zhuque has the permanent rainbow lighting which is a turn off to me. Team Wolf are thinking of doing an RGB Zhuque tho.

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

12 hours ago, SurvivorNVL said:

I have twenty-three mechanicals.  Soon to be thirty.  Don't judge me.

I recommend, in the name of mechanical enthusiasm - http://www.amazon.com/Team-Wolf-Swappable-Mechanical-Keyboard-Blue/dp/B01AFBJQA8   This keyboard is the holy grail of a deal, due to the hot-swappable switch mechanism on the PCB.  It uses Outemu blues, which feel better than Cherries, not as good as Gateron, however.  I'm in the process of swapping cherry boards with Gaterons, but this board is absolutely incredible value.  If you can catch a Massdrop or Geekhack(or Chinese/Taiwanese group sales on Taobao or Aliexpress) for some Gateron switches or get some Zealio 65g Plate-mount switches-  you're damn set.

But if not - the Qisan is excellent.  Though try to find it, or any keyboard in a Gateron flavor - Outemu is a step up from Cherry in their clicky-switches, but not in anything else.  Gateron is, across the board, incredible.  The hierarchy of switches as per my view:  

Clicky order:  ALPS SKCM - Blue, White, Buckling Spring, Gateron Blue, Gat-Green.  Linear:  ALPS Green, Gateron Clear, Gat-Yellow, Gat-Black, Gat-Red.  Tactile:  Topre, Clone Topre, Zealios.  This is my experience thus far.  All are great.  Hopefully will try more switch brands with time.  Romer-G could be added to this list, but, nawh.

Thats a lot of info. Thanks a lot, man! Read all of it and now considering my options. :) Very helpful man

1 hour ago, jonathan13 said:

I have VERY RECENT experience with the Magicforce. I had watched FrankP's review of it and it seemed like a decent little board for the price. I ordered it at the beginning of the week and received it Tuesday night. To say I was disappointed was an understatement. It was so filthy from the manufacturing process that it made me second guess whether or not it was even "new". 

The keystrokes were very inconsistent and the spacebar was so gunked up that it would stick in the down position. All of the longer keys (spacebar, tab, ect.) felt like they had no stabilizers whatsoever. They were mushy and went side to side instead of a nice crisp up and down.

I would highly suggest going with something other than the Magicforce. I am in the process right now of looking for a nice tenkeyless board. If you get the Kumara, please update us, and let us know how you like it.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience, man - I'll update you if I get the Kumara. Good luck & stuff :) 

3 hours ago, jonathan13 said:

I own three different magicforce(Gateron Clear, Gateron Brown, Gateron blue) boards, one(brown) in the process of de-constructing and going in to a custom soldering and switch replacement job(finally summed up that courage).  As far as the boards I've received from my experience - it's a pretty perfect board.  Completely clean when I received it, and the replicated cherry stabilizers that are being used for the Gateron switches are a bit lighter than Cherry's, but more in place, less wobble.  My three boards from magicforce for the 68-key have been excellent, and I've two friends with no issues as well, aside from early shine on the ABS keycaps, but that is only for one.

4 hours ago, SurvivorNVL said:

I own three different magicforce(Gateron Clear, Gateron Brown, Gateron blue) boards, one(brown) in the process of de-constructing and going in to a custom soldering and switch replacement job(finally summed up that courage).  As far as the boards I've received from my experience - it's a pretty perfect board.  Completely clean when I received it, and the replicated cherry stabilizers that are being used for the Gateron switches are a bit lighter than Cherry's, but more in place, less wobble.  My three boards from magicforce for the 68-key have been excellent, and I've two friends with no issues as well, aside from early shine on the ABS keycaps, but that is only for one.

I wonder if maybe the one I purchased was a knock off. My daily driver is a Logitech G710, and when comparing the Magicforce that I received to my 710, it literally made me want to throw the Magicforce in the garbage and not even waste my time returning it for a refund. From what you describe, it REALLY makes me wonder about the legitimacy of the one I received.

|| i7-8700k @ 4.9GHz || Asus Z370-i || HyperX Fury 32GB @ 2400MHz || Nvidia Titan Xp || 500GB Samsung 950 Pro || Deepcool Captain 240 RGB white || Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX Glass || InWin Aurora fan kit || Corsair RM750x white || Ensourced Customs sleeved extensions || Tesoro Gram Spectrum white || Logitech G603 ||