Steam Boxes announced!

4zPEE.jpg20101024142338!800px-Valve_logo_svg.png4zPEE.jpg

Last year, we shipped a software feature called Big Picture, a user-interface tailored for televisions and gamepads.

This year we’ve been working on even more ways to connect the dots for customers who want Steam in the living-room.

Soon, we’ll be adding you to our design process, so that you can help us shape the future of Steam.

4zYvY.jpg

Today at 6pm (GMT) the second countdown came to an end and as the result, Valve announced the Steam Machines.

This is the 2nd announcement out of the 3 as teased earlier (Thread about the teaser: LINK).

The 3rd announcement will take place in 2 days yet again.

The only thing I can think of now is one of the sequels being revealed.

4zYxp.jpg

Just like we all expected Valve is bringing us the Steam Box however the official name isn't revealed yet but

they are referred to it as Steam Machines.

4zYzK.png

These new machines will be available for purchase in the beginning of 2014 and there will be a variety to chose

from and they will be made by various manufactures. All of the prototypes for the lucky 300 beta users will be

shipped for free this year! Valve also mentions that the machines will be hackable so that you will be able to put

your own OS on it if you wish to do so. Even though the machine will be more oriented for the

living room/TV experience you are still welcome to use your beloved mouse and keyboard. Valve said that during

the beta program all of the users will be allowed to post pictures of the systems and all of the content they wish to.

The idea behind the beta program will be to assist Valve with their decisions for both the OS and the

machines themselves so that they can tweak and adjust anything that will come out unsatisfactory during

the beta test.

Just like Valve explains in the Question section of the page "A small number of users (30 or less) will be

chosen based on their past community contributions and beta participation." which seems like a fair

thing to do so that they are assured to receive a valid feedback from people that have already helped

them in the past.

You can apply to get one before October 25th. Also Valve answered some of the questions you guys may

have so do visit the site to read up on them. For more information and on how to apply for one of

these systems visit the "Source" link below!

What I think of this:
Despite the fact that we aren't faced with any specifications and images of the "Steam Machines" just like 2 days ago with the reveal of Steam OS, we can sleep tight since 'Steam Box' is a thing and it's coming sooner that, at least I, anticipated. In my opinion Valve has takem a lot of good steps with both of the reveals making them as open to public as possible which effectively will bring more attention onto the subject as well as help to build up the hearts of the fans before the initial release of the machines and the operating system. The fact that they mention that hacking the machines is a thing and they don't mind it isn't all that surprising considering the fact that either way there would be someone that would find a way around any restrictions that Valve would make. The one thing that caught my eye but to some may not be too surprising is that fact that the system will be upgradable and openable meaning that Valve is trying to reduce such restrictions that we find on the consoles and still keep the core idea of it being a computer, however still providing a ready-to-go solution for the less geeky or console guys that will consider purchasing the beast :P Personally I only have my computer in the room and no TV but if Valves idea blooms with vibrant colours I may consider getting a TV and a Steam machine so that I can enjoy the controller experience from my bed :)

1st announcement from Valve: LINK
Valve's Countdown Page: LINK
Source: LINK

So today Valve announced the Steam Boxes and is set to revolutionise the living room with access to many PC games whilst being able to relax on your couch. Last year Valve released big picture which aimed to merge the living room and your gaming rig together, with varying amount of success; this new device however sets to change that. It is most likely going to run Valve's SteamOS announced on Monday which is set to launch in Q1 2014 with various launch titles to accompany it. Windows based games will be able to be played through streaming, however this may introduce latency and other users may not even be able to stream games to their Steam box. This might not be holding the Steam Boxes back as Gabe Newell released a statement saying that "Linux is the future of gaming". As for the release date for the Steam Boxes itself, it should be available before the end on 2014.

4zU3k.png

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamMachines/

Looks like Steam will be releasing multiple Steam OS machines, Steam Box finally confirmed

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamMachines/

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

You did a good job sir. You included info, unlike anyone else.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

V_V yeah

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

OMG am I first again?

first technically yes there is another thread but its just got steam announces...

repost

It's not is it 

| 3570k @ 4.4.ghz | Hyper 212 evo | 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte Z77X UD3H | Corsair CX750M | Corsair 300R | OCZ 240GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | Asus DCUII 7950 @1150mhz core 1600mhz mem

| BenQ XL2411T | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G700 | steelseries Qck+ | Fiio E10 | Zalman clip on mic | HD 598 | ATH-M50 |

Partially BS topic. The announcement was more along the lines that you can become a beta tester. Actually, I highly doubt that OP has read the announcement at all

There are like 10 other topics, all created almost the same time.

Intel i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Asus Maximus VI Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz | Asus GTX 780 SLI | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + 6TB WD Red | Asus Xonar Phoebus | Corsair AX860i | Corsair 900D | Win 8 Pro 64-bit | 2 x Dell U2412M | Logitech G710+ | Logitech G602

Loads of people posted simulationeously , meh

It's not is it 

Yes it is :(

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59756-second-steam-announcement/ This is the first, but it is a terrible news post.

The second, https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59757-steam-boxes-announced/, is much better.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Can I hack this box? Run another OS? Change the hardware? Install my own software? Use it to build a robot?
Sure.

At the bottom there seems to be some plans to have SteamOS as a desktop OS to. The announcement mentions later news on inputs. It would be really nice if we could get the SteamOS as an optimized desktop OS to. Eg. smaller buttons and a more desktop like experience. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I is excited.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Just read the page on their website. They are making it clear that they are not very interested in selling hardware.

Their prototype design just serves as a reference design, for beta testing. And they expect other PC manufacturers to jump in and handle the hardware part provided it's gaming grade.

I'll be building my own steam box with my 7870 and 6300, once I pick up my R-290x

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

OMG am I first again?

No idea several articles were posted at 7:00.

Yeah, 4 people posted at the same time. Would have liked to see and actual article with some discussion rather than just a link for the sake of trying to post first.

I wonder who's making the 300 beta machines, and hopefully the actual machines are unlike your average prebuilt when they come out, I don't want to see a poo poo mobo in them.

No hardware specs were announced, that's disappointing...

Well they'll announce the hardware of it within the year, and the retail ones should be better. Think of a Gigabyte Brix 2 as what it could be like.